Activation question - dual use

I'm sure this question has been covered a few times but I can't be bothered to trawl through and find an answer.

I've been playing the game for months now and it's brilliant - activation etc was all fine and it's running brilliantly. Today my brother returned from uni and installed it on his computer too, by having me log onto my Steam account on his computer.

His installation seems to be OK but I'm not currently on FM on my laptop so I just wanted to confirm we'd gone about it right, and that we'll both be able to access the game at the same time on different laptops (despite activating through the steam account).

Thanks in advance.

Niall

Not 100% certain since I have a disk and didn't activate through steam but I think your brother should have his own account instead of using yours.

Not 100% certain since I have a disk and didn't activate through steam but I think your brother should have his own account instead of using yours.

Surely you did activate through Steam? I thought you had to for 09. I also have a disc but because you have to do it through activation codes it didn't simply load on his when the disk went in as it would on any other FM.

Activation through steam is not the only option. If you also have a disk then your brother has to have one as well. Letting him use your disk is not allowed as far as I know.

If you are letting your brother use one of your activations you are breaking the end user license agreement as I understand it and therefore technically pirating the game. Theres not a lot anyone can do about it but its probably better you don't come on the official forums of the developer shouting about it.

Your right, i hope they can freeze his Steam account. This needs looking at as i dont see why i should be legal and doing things correctly, and paying for the satisfaction of being legal, whilst others flout the terns of the agreement on the official forums and get away scot free! Takes the **** really!

DRM, in my opinion, either needs dropping or the 5 installs cut down to 1!

Your right, i hope they can freeze his Steam account. This needs looking at as i dont see why i should be legal and doing things correctly, and paying for the satisfaction of being legal, whilst others flout the terns of the agreement on the official forums and get away scot free! Takes the **** really!

DRM, in my opinion, either needs dropping or the 5 installs cut down to 1!

It doesn't account for people who own more than one laptop for FM, but I agree to be honest. What's stopping all the users teaming up into groups of five, pooling the money, and sending on the disc once it's installed.

Obviously if we cheat SI out of that much money the next version will be complete pants, but it's a hole that's being exploited.

Maybe change it to 2 or 3 instead of 5?

It doesn't account for people who own more than one laptop for FM, but I agree to be honest. What's stopping all the users teaming up into groups of five, pooling the money, and sending on the disc once it's installed.

Obviously if we cheat SI out of that much money the next version will be complete pants, but it's a hole that's being exploited.

Maybe change it to 2 or 3 instead of 5?

Or take out DRM? No disc = No game? I know it was introduced to limit piracy, but at least if you had a physical copy you couldnt flount the law! Either that or use DRM smarter, im sure the tech is there, whether its ignored or not is different!

Your brother can't use your driving licence.

You can't go halves on a gun licence with your cousin.

A licence belongs to one person, or one organisation and cannot be shared. Why do people think it is ok to use a software licence for more than one person. It's theft. If you can't afford two copies of the game, then save up or go without.

Miles himself said before FM09 was released that he's smart enough to realise that people share games between family members.

Has always happened, and will always happen. There's nothing wrong with it. SI aren't going out of business any time soon :thup:

Did you know that EULA's don't stand up in court?

Miles himself said before FM09 was released that he's smart enough to realise that people share games between family members.

Has always happened, and will always happen. There's nothing wrong with it. SI aren't going out of business any time soon :thup:

Did you know that EULA's don't stand up in court?

Yes there is : it's called piracy.

Yes there is : it's called piracy.

I don't think you understand the term at all. Borrowing a disc is not piracy, copying the disc and distributing it however is.

By your logic, anyone that rents a game is guilty of "piracy"

Further to that, what would you want to do to everyone that has ever borrowed a piece of software from a friend or family member?

Would you fine them, lock them up?

I think you would find that companies that went after customers in this sort of way (i'm talking about the people that lent the software to someone else) would quickly a) Develop a horrible reputation and b) See a sharp increase in actual piracy.

Archived