Manager with one name

Is it possible to give your manager only one name? If you try just entering a first or last name it says "You have not entered a valid first or last name". Is there any work around for this? If this is not possible I think it should be for future versions. There are plenty of managers like this e.g. Dunga of Brazil, I realise it's not his real name but it's the name he is always referred to as and only that name.

You can assign yourself a nickname once you've started. So when asked, put in both first name and surname. Start the game and right click on your manager (manager name) and you should be able to set a nickname. You will be referred to as the nickname throughout the game.

Is it possible to give your manager only one name? If you try just entering a first or last name it says "You have not entered a valid first or last name". Is there any work around for this? If this is not possible I think it should be for future versions. There are plenty of managers like this e.g. Dunga of Brazil, I realise it's not his real name but it's the name he is always referred to as and only that name.

Try to give yourself a nickname: Go to your Manager Overview (through menu on the top of the screen). On the bottom left of the screen under "Misc" you can set a nickname.

Hmm, I knew about the nickname thing never thought of that. One possible problem though, if i'm playing a network game will all the other players see the nickname, I mean will it come up in their inbox '*nickname* makes bid for player' or will they only see that if they set me a nickname?(can they do that?)

It's possible to do it. Once you've added your manager, go to "Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\db\lnc" and using notepad create a document called name.lnc in your database folder (the one you're using for your current game)

All you have to do is replace the relevant fields (your player ID, first name, common name (what you want), and the last field is surname.

So if I wanted to be called Billinho I'd write in my name.lnc file

"CHANGE_PLAYER_NAME" 123456789 "Bill" "Billinho" "Buckley"

So instead of being known as Bill Buckley, I'd be known as Billinho. I think.

You can assign yourself a nickname once you've started. So when asked, put in both first name and surname. Start the game and right click on your manager (manager name) and you should be able to set a nickname. You will be referred to as the nickname throughout the game.
Well that's a lot easier than my way!

It's possible to do it. Once you've added your manager, go to "Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\db\lnc" and using notepad create a document called name.lnc in your database folder (the one you're using for your current game)

All you have to do is replace the relevant fields (your player ID, first name, common name (what you want), and the last field is surname.

So if I wanted to be called Billinho I'd write in my name.lnc file

"CHANGE_PLAYER_NAME" 123456789 "Bill" "Billinho" "Buckley"

So instead of being known as Bill Buckley, I'd be known as Billinho. I think.

Could anyone give me some help with this. When I go to Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\db there are no folders there. Where have I to create the name.lnc file? I will be playing using the 9.3.0 update db.

EDIT: I found the correct place to put this file for the 930 update but it still isn't changing my name. Anyone any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Could it possibly be because it says CHANGE_PLAYER_NAME and it's not a player I'm trying to change?

Ok, the nickname thing isn't going to work as it will only appear for me. The .lnc file will work I think but as I said above i can't seem to get it to work, can anyone give detailed instructions on using this to give your manager a common name?

In old versions of the game all you had to do was enter a space in the surname field so my manager name would be "Brian ". I don't know if that still works though.

It still works kind of just set up a manager called Johnihno

Johninho.png

had to add a fullstop in the surname field though.

In old versions of the game all you had to do was enter a space in the surname field so my manager name would be "Brian ". I don't know if that still works though.

Wouldn't you then get things like " appointed as Celtic manager" and other news as that's your surname?

EDIT: In the example you're showing, do you get news like ". appointed as East Timor manager"?

what about leaving the first name blank and putting the name into the surname?

Well that would solve the problem I showed but surely there are times when only the managers first name is used? This may be what I will have to settle for although ideally someone will know how to use the .lnc file to change it, this would mean it would be used perfectly on all occasions and if you went to personal on the manager the 'full name' part would still say my real name. Thanks for everyones help so far anyway.

Archived