Player wants a new challenge

How do you guys deal with players who want a new challenge? Usually I have a replacement in mind or already in the squad but these players often have 3 or 4 years left on their contract and I don't want to give them away as they are good players.

Can you convince them to stay or do you just ship them out at the first opportunity?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

I had a young player, determined that he wanted to move to a bigger club....so, I stuck him on the tranfer list for £100m, then offered hime to clubs.

surprise, surprise, no offers came in for him. I left it a few weeks, then noticed his personal profile stated that he was disappointed to be tranfer listed...took him off & he's fine now.

Yeah, what Darthter said works for me too, on my Juventus save a player wanted a new challenge because Barca, Chelsea and Arsenal were interested, so I put him on the transfer list for £100 million, took him off and he was fine.

Deal with it proactively as it often appears as a slight concern first which can be removed by offering a new contract. It tends to come up in press conferences so if you avoid them you might miss it. Keep an eye on players who you really want to keep until they retire.

my best defender has been saying this even though i just won champs league, premiership and most other cups, really annoying as im miles ahead of all other clubs and he wants to go somewhere else. doesnt make a lot of sense to me

my best defender has been saying this even though i just won champs league, premiership and most other cups, really annoying as im miles ahead of all other clubs and he wants to go somewhere else. doesnt make a lot of sense to me

Well I think that is part of the "new challenge", he has won everything at your club. Have had my share of this as well. A couple of seasons ago I won the treble and 2 of my star players said they wanted a new challenge right after the season was finished. Not sure how realistic it is really as it seems to happen quite a lot.

Usually I tend to sell those players if I feel I got good replacements in the team or lined up for possible transfers. So far I have never sold for less than I bought the player for so all is well. :) Besides, they never do as well at another team. ;) Though at times I try to offer new contract if I really want him to stay, assistant or press conference will give you heads up if the player is looking to move on. If you really want him to stay you have to offer him a new contract quickly...I haven't treid the £100M think, might give it a go sometime.

this part of fm09 is complete doodoo.

you have to constantly offer them new contracts even though the last one was signed 2 weeks ago just to keep people happy. theres not even a surge in the transfer windows either. its just a constant non stop surge.

constantly lower clubs are unsettling your players. who'ever thought of this feature is a complete genious! NOT!

sortitoutsi

Err... IRL Cristiano Ronaldo anyone?

Exactly, Ronaldo is a prime example, it always happens to me as Chelsea with Carvalho and Drogba. Strangely, Drogba is usually happier than carvalho to stay, Carvalho just demands a transfer.

Archived