Time to see a little more of FM10?

I hope there are good reasons why this has not happened but...

Why do we have to wait until approx 2/3 months before release to see screen shots of the new game, there must be "final article" areas of the game that could be glmpsed maybe by now?, even if prefixed "work in progress". I suspect SI guys are keen to share their work at the earliest chance also. I dont want to know the release date, the date of the demo release or a list of final features - I understand those are not appropriate questions, but we seem to get a flurry of stuff quite near release when drip feeding months before would be very popular.

It happened with the previous 2 FM's and BGS with CM are just as guilty.

Its going to be interesting to see how this year's CM stacks up against FM10.

I have a hunch they are going to nick a large chunk of FM's market share, since so many people were put off by all the micro and complexity of 09. The whole casual gamer segment was very vocal earlier in the year. The 3d looks fantastic in CM, but, man, the interface looks nasty. We'll see. :) Good to see some competition in the genre!

Why do we have to wait until approx 2/3 months before release to see screen shots of the new game, there must be "final article" areas of the game that could be glmpsed maybe by now?, even if prefixed "work in progress". I suspect SI guys are keen to share their work at the earliest chance also. I dont want to know the release date, the date of the demo release or a list of final features - I understand those are not appropriate questions, but we seem to get a flurry of stuff quite near release when drip feeding months before would be very popular.

Would it not make sense to let CM release their game first? Thus not allowing any competition to what they are up against this year and not allowinf them to poach any FM ideas?

i cant see what the problem is here as this is the way its always been details have always been released about late august/early september time and thats the way i would prefer it as it allows the developers more time to work on the game.

I have a hunch they are going to nick a large chunk of FM's market share, since so many people were put off by all the micro and complexity of 09. The whole casual gamer segment was very vocal earlier in the year. The 3d looks fantastic in CM, but, man, the interface looks nasty. We'll see. :) Good to see some competition in the genre!

I must have missed this "micro and complexity of 09"? What are you referring to exactly?

I must have missed the complexity aspect too!

FM09 has been the most disappointing of the series so far for me, still good of course, but the evolution has been too slow I think and the similarity too great. I'll certainly have a look at CM for the first time since SI set up FM. Competition could be good.

I will second this, as from what I have seen of the new CM then unless FM 10 totally revamp the 3d engine and don`t have as much wrong with the game on release as FM 09 did with press confrences being broke, dodgy 3d match engine, computer spec issues, activation issues, bojan bug, the list goes on, then I think a lot of people will be jumping ship to CM from FM, and as Les Girondins says its good to see some stiff competition to spur FM on not to do a half ass job of FM10.:thup:

Remember, not much will have changed. Maybe the new features are only half implemented. Then what do you want to see a screenshot of?

Bojan bug wasn't on release btw.

Correct mate I know because I reported the Bojan bug but the game wasn`t properly released untill 9.3.0 for many people so what I am saying is I hope FM10 get it right early on after release.

Can we not turn this into another discussion about CM please?

If you want to discuss Cm please do so in the Off-topic forum.

With regards to showing more earlier, I imagine 'hype' is one of the main reasons they do it nearer game time. Like SCIAG said, there's not really much point in showing off half finished features. Also, if they release details about new features etc, then it could give SI's rivals an upper hand.

I wouldn't say it would be worth advertising and realeasing details until the database is up to date with the new transfers.

FM10 will essentially be the same as 09 but with an improved ME and an up-to-date database with maybe a few minor features put in.

See, this I like. We've learned not to hype the game beyond belief after the last two releases, so now any plus points that come out of FM10 will be surprises, as opposed to any bad points from the last two.

I wouldn't say it would be worth advertising and releasing details until the database is up to date with the new transfers.

FM10 will essentially be the same as 09 but with an improved ME and an up-to-date database with maybe a few minor features put in.

I agree.

ME and database are what separates FM from the rest so they'll work hard to improve them to stay one step ahead.

I don't care what bugs it has so long as they aren't part of the ME. Stupid things like the GK trying to dribble past the striker or anything like that.

It's fair enough they don't release any details of new features due to other competition stealing it, but are screenshots of improved existing features too much to ask for?

Even seeing something really basic and unimportant, like the journo's in press conferences having a regen-style face would give me a boost...

Any idea of when it will be released?

Anything official yet?

Nothing has been decided yet, and no details released. I'm sure any details will be stickied in GD upon release:thup:

I expect it'll be released round abouts november, like last year.

i dont remember screen shots being released this early for previous FMs

• SI Staff
i dont remember screen shots being released this early for previous FMs

I think we released information about FM 2005 early (February) but that was a bit exceptional with the whole split / new game / new name thing and having to raise awareness early.

I'm sure when the time comes there will be more than enough information given out to satisfy the needs. I don't think we do too badly in that respect. :)

I have never understood this need for information. Tell me now now NOW!

I realise the OP set this out in a mature tone, but if last year was anything to go by, these sort of posts with swearing and CAPITAL LETTERS and slagging off SI as incompetent are just around the corner.

So what if they release info or not? What does it achieve?

Firstly, they might release something that they have to leave out of the final version, leading to more problems.

Secondly, asking for info, no matter how maturely or stroppy-child-like you word it, will not result in ANY info.

I don't care about when we get a peek at the new FM as long as the research is done right this time, specially outside England. The Db has always been what makes FM a lot better than its competitors but in the past few years SI has dropped the ball, last year being the worst, the number of complaints in the data issues forum is proof of that.

Imagine eagerly taking the game out of the box, starting a new game with the team you support just to find it's all wrong. Key players missing, or in the reserves team with their playing positions wrong. Heartbreaking. And I'm not talking about very small teams, but teams competing in the Uefa Cup and such.

For the first time since I started playing the game (CM 00/01) I'm not sure If I'm going to buy the next FM, and I'm not alone. If this year the research isn't done right outside England, SI stands to lose lots of players from smaller markets, some of them not all that small (FM is pretty big here in Portugal, it must be one of the best sold games alongside with FIFA).

I realize most of this message is offtopic and I apologize for that.

• SI Staff
I don't care about when we get a peek at the new FM as long as the research is done right this time, specially outside England. The Db has always been what makes FM a lot better than its competitors but in the past few years SI has dropped the ball, last year being the worst, the number of complaints in the data issues forum is proof of that.

Imagine eagerly taking the game out of the box, starting a new game with the team you support just to find it's all wrong. Key players missing, or in the reserves team with their playing positions wrong. Heartbreaking. And I'm not talking about very small teams, but teams competing in the Uefa Cup and such.

For the first time since I started playing the game (CM 00/01) I'm not sure If I'm going to buy the next FM, and I'm not alone. If this year the research isn't done right outside England, SI stands to lose lots of players from smaller markets, some of them not all that small (FM is pretty big here in Portugal, it must be one of the best sold games alongside with FIFA).

I realize most of this message is offtopic and I apologize for that.

We had better make Pedro Mendes the best player in the game then ;)

The usual people who demand a release of information in an immature way are usually the ones who complain unconstructively about the game when it is released.

Of course there is likely to be many threads during the summer and many more once the season kicks off.

We had better make Pedro Mendes the best player in the game then ;)

Hehe so you remember that, but I was only for a slight upgrade of Mendes, not a complete overhaul ;).

But that's not what I'm talking about, from what I read in the Scotland Data issues thread the research was pretty good. I was refering mainly to the portuguese research which is terrible. Veloso is a pretty well known example, but the most glaring problems are in mid-table clubs and lower division clubs.

Take Marítimo, a team that qualified for Uefa Cup (for the 4th time, it's an established midtable team in Portugal), the team started out with its main striker, Baba, who played the whole season and was linked with some EPL outfits later on, in the "B team" as one of the worst CMs (he's a ST irl) of the team, the problem was only solved in 9.03.

The whole in-game team had little to do with it's real life counterpart, some of its best players never played a game irl for Marítimo. Again this is just one example, I won't go into specifics but the whole league is like this.

If a player is deemed a good prospect irl (Candeias, Miguel Lopes etc) he's given a 14X-15X PA and his stats instead of reflecting the strong and weak points of the player are ALL 12-13/13-14.

If you go down one or two tiers in the leagues, you get whole teams without one single real player. There is at least one good portuguese db in the net with most players listed. There is also a very active FM portuguese fanbase (in the portuguese fan-forum. that's why there aren't many vocal pt players here) with lots of users providing information to help the researcher that is ignored year after year.

And I've heard Portugal is not the only country suffering from sub-par research, but I really can't put all the blame on the researchers. When you have just 1 person to do the job for 1 whole country, with 30+ professional teams and 1 person to research just 1 single team in England, it's obvious that SI is the one to blame. Probably some small countries don't bolster big enough sale numbers to justify proper research. But SI should take into account that some people (most in Portugal) order their games from abroad (Spain in our case, it's 1/3 of the price), and a fm boycott would probably hurt their sales more than they might think.

Sorry for the size and tone of the post, but it's hard not to feel betrayed by SI every single year.

• SI Staff
And I've heard Portugal is not the only country suffering from sub-par research, but I really can't put all the blame on the researchers. When you have just 1 person to do the job for 1 whole country, with 30+ professional teams and 1 person to research just 1 single team in England, it's obvious that SI is the one to blame. Probably some small countries don't bolster big enough sale numbers to justify proper research. But SI should take into account that some people (most in Portugal) order their games from abroad (Spain in our case, it's 1/3 of the price), and a fm boycott would probably hurt their sales more than they might think.

Sorry for the size and tone of the post, but it's hard not to feel betrayed by SI every single year.

I think you might be being a bit harsh on us there. We appoint a head researcher for each country and it is up to them how they want to go about doing their research and whether they wish to appoint assistants or not.

We've been making good steps forward in recent years as well with the setup of a research network where all the head researchers and assistant researchers can communicate together and share information. If you feel that Portugal has been deglected then you should post the errors in the Data Issues section to make us aware of any issues and we can hopefully make things better in the future.

I think you might be being a bit harsh on us there. We appoint a head researcher for each country and it is up to them how they want to go about doing their research and whether they wish to appoint assistants or not.

We've been making good steps forward in recent years as well with the setup of a research network where all the head researchers and assistant researchers can communicate together and share information. If you feel that Portugal has been deglected then you should post the errors in the Data Issues section to make us aware of any issues and we can hopefully make things better in the future.

Because it's simply not worth it. If you check the 3 pages of the Data Issues thread for Portugal there are posts with huge lists of mistakes ranging from lots of missing players in the first division, misspelled names of some well known players, wrong/outdated kits (to which the SI mod said that "it isn't a research issue since SI didn't tell the HR to research kits this year), wrong competition rules (for example the Portuguese Cup, so I'm not just talking about minor things here), players that were loaned out that are still in the team in-game, to whole teams that haven't been changed since CM 01/02. Not to mention the references to much bigger threads in the portuguese forum (CMPT) that ZeChieira (the HR) is well aware about.

We're now in patch 9.03. Some things have been corrected, most haven't. The Portuguese Cup rules are still wrong, some players still have undeserved outlandish stats, some players are still missing even in the top flight teams and obviously lower league teams are still completely wrong even though the correct rosters have been made available. And in the whole 3 pages we only get 2 answers from the HR, and only after the moderating SI employee promised to get in touch with him. Apparently he's not a full-time SI employee.

By page 3 it's the usual cries for replacing Chieira (a staple every year in this forum, and every week in CMPT), and people simply giving up, and suggesting that we just keep using our own DBs from our community and ignore SI's research. I find this depressing. It's not only Chieira's fault imo, it's mainly SI for not providing him with clear instructions/ enough resources.

Last year's announcement came in September. I don't expect anything to be announced much before then this year if, indeed, there is anything to announce at all....

So, I guess we are going to have to wait for 2011 for the next installment of FM . . .

Because it's simply not worth it. If you check the 3 pages of the Data Issues thread for Portugal there are posts with huge lists of mistakes ranging from lots of missing players in the first division, misspelled names of some well known players, wrong/outdated kits (to which the SI mod said that "it isn't a research issue since SI didn't tell the HR to research kits this year), wrong competition rules (for example the Portuguese Cup, so I'm not just talking about minor things here), players that were loaned out that are still in the team in-game, to whole teams that haven't been changed since CM 01/02. Not to mention the references to much bigger threads in the portuguese forum (CMPT) that ZeChieira (the HR) is well aware about.

We're now in patch 9.03. Some things have been corrected, most haven't. The Portuguese Cup rules are still wrong, some players still have undeserved outlandish stats, some players are still missing even in the top flight teams and obviously lower league teams are still completely wrong even though the correct rosters have been made available. And in the whole 3 pages we only get 2 answers from the HR, and only after the moderating SI employee promised to get in touch with him. Apparently he's not a full-time SI employee.

By page 3 it's the usual cries for replacing Chieira (a staple every year in this forum, and every week in CMPT), and people simply giving up, and suggesting that we just keep using our own DBs from our community and ignore SI's research. I find this depressing. It's not only Chieira's fault imo, it's mainly SI for not providing him with clear instructions/ enough resources.

Hear, hear.

I'm with my fellow countryman.

I think we released information about FM 2005 early (February) but that was a bit exceptional with the whole split / new game / new name thing and having to raise awareness early.

I'm sure when the time comes there will be more than enough information given out to satisfy the needs. I don't think we do too badly in that respect. :)

wasn't fm 2005 released early/late anyway? i remember one of the games being released in march/april time but not sure which.

Last year's announcement came in September. I don't expect anything to be announced much before then this year if, indeed, there is anything to announce at all....

Does that mean no Football Manager 2010 or a release maybe early next year i.e feb!

• SI Staff
wasn't fm 2005 released early/late anyway? i remember one of the games being released in march/april time but not sure which.

Pretty sure FM2005 was released on time. CM4 came out at the end of March.

Does that mean no Football Manager 2010 or a release maybe early next year i.e feb!

Can't imagine they'd not release anything. Unless they're now so rich they don't need the $$$ the best selling FM makes.

Can't imagine they'd not release anything. Unless they're now so rich they don't need the $$$ the best selling FM makes.

Miles might be breaking the news gently to everyone with his quote above!

Expectations are always high in the fm series but this time i will see what the reviews are after release but even then i doubt ill bother with it Fm09 distinguished my flame for the game.

Doesnt fill me with confidence, that quote..any wonder with the panning on here from most people!

:thup::thup:

every year same thing Chieira cannot be trusted anymore , i usually wait for a community database to show up so i can play .

we are tired of pointing out mistakes and being ignored by SI and by him

Archived