is Challange Keeper a bug ? ( Federico Fazio scored 21 goals in 26 matches )

I set Federico Fazio as challange keeper in corners, and aim corners to 6 yard box, mario balotelli is main corner and free-kick taker. So they are bad boys for me. Balotelli has 22 asist in 23(3) matches, fazio has 21 goals in 26 matches. Sometimes he can be a hat-trick hero. So is it a bug ?

fazio.jpg

i wouldn't say it's a bug because in real life if a good header of the ball challenges the keeper and the cross comes onto the attackers head he wills core them

But in real life the keeper will claim most of these with his hands. In the game they don't seem to challenge for them.

and if it's a good tactic, why not the other teams use it

The computer doesnt exploit flaws in the ME.

There was one game that was using a tactic and Paolo Cannavaro ended up top scorer in Serie A with 17 league goals in a season. So I adjusted the tactic slightly to try to stop it from happening.

The computer doesnt exploit flaws in the ME.

There was one game that was using a tactic and Paolo Cannavaro ended up top scorer in Serie A with 17 league goals in a season. So I adjusted the tactic slightly to try to stop it from happening.

The computer does. Perhaps you have no experience of it using this flaw, but its possible for the AI corners to be set in that manner. The computer also exploits flaws that the Human manager isn't able to.

The computer does. Perhaps you have no experience of it using this flaw, but its possible for the AI corners to be set in that manner. The computer also exploits flaws that the Human manager isn't able to.

They've used this flaw against me but what other flaws do they exploit?

History lesson:

Leeds were the first ever team to do this under Don Revie in the 1970's. One training session at Leeds, Revie told big Jackie Charlton to stand next to Gary Sprake (ex-Leeds keeper) when the corners came in. Charlton scored, so Leeds started doing it in the match. The press called it cheating. He used to get a good 15/20 goals a season by doing it - and scored at Wembley for Leeds like that. When Gray and Lorimer used to curl the ball under the bar.

These days the ref gives way too much advantage to the keepers... I have tried the corner bug with Sevilla and Fazio, without success..... Strange.. The corner taker had 18 in corners but Fazio would hit the cross bar or post about 5 times a game. I went a whole season and he got 2 goals.

To be said: I use this tactics and I don't consider it as a bug. Actually - my team is usually 3rd-4th in the league in 'goals from corners' stats.

But I've noticed that challenging keeper is much more rewarding in lower levels, e.g. U-19 games (as I control my U-19 team as well). In youth level there are often one guy in the team that has like 18 jumping or 17 heading (with other stats being low), while the other players (both my and opp. team) are much weaker at headers. So this gives a huge advantage and this towering guy heads most of the corners, or at least plenty of them.

However, in top level the skills of players are much more even. Sure your world class defender can score against poor squad of relegation candidates, but when teams are more-less equal then your 'challenge-keeper' guy loses headers in front of the goal or just misses them.

I can't stand seeing my defender be the top scorer, so I either change the set-up slightly (ie Target corners "mixed" rather than "6-yard box") or the minute one defender gets a goal, I'll change it to my striker.

The actual tactic I don't mind using, because as someone posted above, the AI exploits the game in other ways, but seeing my defenders outscore my strikers always makes me feel so dirty...

EDIT: Another plus point is that defenders rarely ask for goal bonuses, even after seasons of scoring 10+

• 2 weeks later...

Im at the start of March in my first season and he has 11 goals in 30 games for me, all of them from corners. Kind of annoying cuz he's only 2 goals behind my top scorer Adabayor who's having a bit of a bad season

Im at the start of March in my first season and he has 11 goals in 30 games for me, all of them from corners. Kind of annoying cuz he's only 2 goals behind my top scorer Adabayor who's having a bit of a bad season

Plus Johan Djourou (who plays in place of Fazio) has scored 9 goals in 21 games (18 starts)!! All of them from corners. He and Fazio are my two best-rating players this season. Djourou just scored a hat-rick of headers for me in the Champs League knock-out first round! Definite bug

i wouldn't say it's a bug because in real life if a good header of the ball challenges the keeper and the cross comes onto the attackers head he wills core them

and of course, defenders score 20+ goals a season...

In real life, if the best, most powerful, athletic defender goes up for corners every single time, he doesnt score that many goals. Strikers dont really score that many from headers let alone defenders.

It's a silly bug or broken match engine (whatever you want to call it) and a ridiculous feature.

Better off not using it in my opinion as it really ruins the fun and realism when your defender has scored 10 goals more than your striker.

or..

Get a striker with decent heading ability and have him challenge the gk...it could be classed as cheating but at least it looks more realistic.

If you don't want your defender to be your topscorer, then put a striker as the one 'challenging the keeper'..

With Arsenal I use Adebayor or Bendtner and it's much better watching one of your strikers scoring alot of goals than defenders..

If you don't want your defender to be your topscorer, then put a striker as the one 'challenging the keeper'..

With Arsenal I use Adebayor or Bendtner and it's much better watching one of your strikers scoring alot of goals than defenders..

I'm going to try this but it still feels a little wrong because I have a formula for getting more goals and I'm not using it (even if I don't like the formula lol - I'm a little confused about the whole thing).

Anyways I've switched my challenge goalkeeper defender (Fazio) with my FCa (Adebayor), so hopefully ade will get more goals now and he is good in the air. I have set Fazio to "Attack near post" and I have Toure on "Attack far post". Don't know whether to have my other striker on "Near-post flick on", or "Stand on far post":confused:

This "bug" has been around since the last patch of 08 afaik. I think its now a feature for noobs to feel good about themselves about their ultra attacking tactics. Attacking increases the likelihood of corners and so the chances of scoring. Look at the amount of posts of ppl bragging about their "plug and play" tactics which in fact are simply corner generators.

You are missing out on a lot of the game using this corner trick. We are playing against a high speed idiot with X number of tricks up its sleeves, do you really need an exploit to beat it? Have some pride!

I don't know that it's a bug, more an exploit. IRL if any team put balls into that area and had a decent player attacking the ball they would score from it.

No, they wouldn't. Obviously the fact that it doesn't happen IRL should have given you a clue that it wouldn't happen IRL :confused:. IRL if a team puts the ball 1 meter from the goal on a corner, it's either: (a) keeper collects/punches the ball or (b) foul due to player touching the keeper in the six-yard box.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a magnificent record :S ....

th.265267812f.jpg

Update: He has just landed the Premiership Player of the Month with an incredible 9 goals in 4 games!!

That makes it 20 goals in 24 games with an average rating of 7.82!!

I don't class it as a bug. Fazio is the exception in that he does exploit it well. But he's bloody massive, with perfect heading and a massive leap. If you have a corner taker with 18-19 skill delivering to Fazio, you'd expect goals. I mean in real life you'd expect goals. Maybe not 20-30 a season, but certainly double figures.

For most defenders, double figures from corners per season isn't unrealistic. Check Joleon Lescott at Everton a few seasons back.

I don't class it as a bug. Fazio is the exception in that he does exploit it well. But he's bloody massive, with perfect heading and a massive leap. If you have a corner taker with 18-19 skill delivering to Fazio, you'd expect goals. I mean in real life you'd expect goals. Maybe not 20-30 a season, but certainly double figures.

For most defenders, double figures from corners per season isn't unrealistic. Check Joleon Lescott at Everton a few seasons back.

Yes but 22 in 25 games! 11 in 5 games!! And my corner takers attributes are 15 (for corners) and below!

I wouldnt feel right if I didnt use this feature though because it would feel like I'm not using all my knowledge and all I have at my disposal to win. Yet I still don't feel right using it:(

Kinda frustrating. Sometimes I think "ah well, it'll be sorted (along with countless other problems) in the next FM", but it's quite a while to wait. Another patch would be great but we all know that ain't going to happen

Yes but 22 in 25 games! 11 in 5 games!! And my corner takers attributes are 15 (for corners) and below!

I wouldnt feel right if I didnt use this feature though because it would feel like I'm not using all my knowledge and all I have at my disposal to win. Yet I still don't feel right using it:(

Kinda frustrating. Sometimes I think "ah well, it'll be sorted (along with countless other problems) in the next FM", but it's quite a while to wait. Another patch would be great but we all know that ain't going to happen

I know what you're saying, and I agree, but Federico Fazio is literally the only defender capable of such ridiculous results. So it's a limited bug.

If you have other players doing it (around 6ft4) you'd get about 15 max per season.

• 1 month later...
If you don't like it simply don't exploit it. Btw, for anyone who thinks the AI use this tactic they are wrong. PaulC said he disabled it.

Then it's obvious that SI have deliberately allowed this exploit to remain in the game for the human manager. They could have just as well disabled it for the human manager too.

The real test of this, however, would be to try it with an international side from a smaller nation.

Is this exploit good enough to allow an international team like Costa Rica or Togo to win a World Cup? If so, then you'd have to say that it's too unrealistic to allow yourself to use it. At that point, arguably you would have spoiled any semblance of simulation and would have gone into arcade mode. :D

BTW everyone you don't have to set your defender to do this. Not really sure why people do use a defender for this corner trick anyway.

Try it with your striker and as long as they are tall and have good heading and jumping stats they'll score loads more than your defenders and it doesn't look as bad at the end of the season with your CB being top scorer.

Mine:

84913739.pngw1088.png

BTW everyone you don't have to set your defender to do this. Not really sure why people do use a defender for this corner trick anyway.

Try it with your striker and as long as they are tall and have good heading and jumping stats they'll score loads more than your defenders and it doesn't look as bad at the end of the season with your CB being top scorer.

I agree with this. The other downside of using your defender is that the goals inflate his ratings so you don't get an accurate represeantation of how well he has actually defended. That's not really a problem if you're using your 1st choice cb, but it could be a problem when he gets older and his defending is deteriotaing but you can't tell from his ratings.

Of course, it inflates ratings for strikers as well, but as the striker's primary job is to get goals I find it's less of an issue.

When using this exploit does it just mean that the match engines decides you will score a goal from a corner rather than open play? Does that make sense?

What I mean is that it would make no difference to the outcome of the match just that your goal or goals are scored via the corner routine rather than open play?

Archived