Previous Experience: Sunday League Footballer

Is this asking for a very tough time as a manager?

Even after nearly 9 seasons with my club I am finding it very hard to win anything. Numerous finals but no wins .. league runners up twice ..

I get the impression that had I specified International Footballer, I'd be swimming in medals?

Or is that not the case?

Just wondering ..

no , its just reputation ..

if your a former international footballer ..

then i think you will be able to sign a few more better players

if your a good manager , your a good manager . nevermind what happened in the past

no , its just reputation ..

if your a former international footballer ..

then i think you will be able to sign a few more better players

if your a good manager , your a good manager . nevermind what happened in the past

Really? I think it does effect how your players gel and perform ..

Maybe I am wrong? *shrug

My reputation is now Continental, but I am still finding it very hard winning trophies.

It could just be because I am managing a club I brought up from the lower leagues to the EPL/ECL and our 'rating' is not yet high enough to allow me to attack teams home and away without loosing out on the counter. That can be frustrating can't it? You want to be more adventurous but the AI will keep going for you for a few season until it finally starts sitting back and playing defensively.

It will only effect you when you're first in the job. From what I've seen, players don't like unproven managers (except for at lower levels).

Now you're continental, it shouldn't be having any effect on your winning chances.

The funny thing is that studies demonstrate that managers who were international players are no more successful than those who never played the game.

They'd find it easier to get a job though, wouldn't they? Getting initial respect would be easier too, I'd imagine.

They'd find it easier to get a job though, wouldn't they? Getting initial respect would be easier too, I'd imagine.

Off Topic:

IRL you can't win ..

Start out with no rep. as a player and you might be an in-demand Championship manager after 20 years of consistent success.

Win the Championship and immediately the fans will start clamouring for a 'big name' manager.

Now managers are expected to win the Championship AND finish mid table in the proceeding season. Yeah right .. Even then the fans will clamour for a 'big name' to 'take the club forward'. You really can't win.

And when you got guys like Paolo Sousa getting the Swansea job having done absolutely nothing (Alan Shearer etc) except get sacked in record time from his last job, it makes you realise, its a comedy show. :) Especially when you got someone like (random example) Billy Davies at Forest who has a 48% win ratio in the Championship spanning almost a decade, who I'd never even heard of six months ago .. who could _never_ get the chance of a Premier League gig.

I think FM needs to be more realistic in this way imho. There should be a lot of pressure on promotion managers, with far more chance of getting sacked than there is now. Its a bit boring now frankly.

It really does vary from club to club. I'd have been extremely content with beating Sunderland's points record two years running when Coppell took us up. The fact that we finished eighth and ended up turning down Europe astounded me.

Mowbray kept his job (arguably got a better one), Brown kept his despite only scraping it, Pulis never looked in danger even when they were in trouble. Warnock and Boothroyd kept their jobs, as did Keane. In fact, of the last 9 promoted managers, only Davies (worst ever) and Bruce were fired.

Mowbray kept his job (arguably got a better one), Brown kept his despite only scraping it, Pulis never looked in danger even when they were in trouble. Warnock and Boothroyd kept their jobs, as did Keane. In fact, of the last 9 promoted managers, only Davies (worst ever) and Bruce were fired.

I stand corrected. :thup:

Billy Davies, having had his chance at the EPL, resulted in Derby having the record lowest points total ever in the EPL,

That's not entirely fair, from what I read, he had precisely nothing to spend. :thup:

You can't really blame the manager when a Championship team is drummed week in week out in the Premiership. The squad was imbalanced and focussed on height and strength and had practically no creativity ..

They also got promoted 'by accident' that season and were never equipped to cope.

Sacking Davies seemed bizarre to say the least, when they had over-achieved the previous season to get up in the first place and susbequently went into free-fall under Jewell.

But I am no expert on Derby .. maybe a Derby fan can expand on what went wrong?

He's at Forest now as you know and they are unable to get any players despite throwing millions at clubs because nobody wants to sell in the Championship to an ambitious club ..

Archived