I can't quite work it out.....

I've just got to the 2020 European Championships on FM09 and noticed a strange group standing after the group stage has finished;

Take a look at the link below (assuming it works), showing the final table together with the results of the group games and then explain to me why Czech Republic and Italy qualified at the expense of Spain!!!!

I just can't quite work it out!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

europeanchampionships.jpg

Answers on a postcard.......

Assuming that the game follows the same sorting rules as are set out by UEFA:

A: Higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question.

B: Goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question.

C: Number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question.

D: Goal difference in all the group matches.

E: Number of goals scored in all the group matches

F: Co-Efficient generated from the previous World Cup and European Championship qualifying tournaments.

G: Fair play.

H: Drawing of lots.

it does look like Spain and Italy should have qualified, as all three teams are equal until D: Goal difference in all the group matches.

Probably worth posting in the bugs forum.

Greece get taken out of the picture

=> all teams on same points, same GD, same For

=> sort alphabetically

That's just logic on my part. Check the competition page for the rules maybe?

Yeah, thats exactly what I thought must have happened.

I'd never seen that scenario happen on the game before, thats why I thought I'd post it on here and see what anybody else thought of it.

Felt sorry for the Spanish boss.....he got sacked as soon as the Quarter Final draw had been made!!!

head to head

and

goal difference

Yeah I know, on head to head - Czech Republic, Italy and Spain took it in turns to beat each other 2-1, so that would level them all up!

They did concede more did that play a part?

Well there's the competition rules anyway, doesn't mention anything about goals conceded, so I'm not sure!!!

europeanchampionshiprul.jpg

Thanks, bardock - never mind, Williams27!

Corneille - B. applies only to the games between the three co-equal teams: Spain vs Italy, Italy vs Czech Rep., Czech Rep. vs Spain. In those matches, each team came out with 3 GF, 3 GA, and a GF of +0 - therefore, by B. and C. the teams should come out still tied.

D - goal difference in all group matches - is the first place that the tie should have been broken, and wasn't. It looks like the game only got coded for A., B., and C., and finding the teams still equal sorted alphabetically.

Thanks, bardock - never mind, Williams27!

Corneille - B. applies only to the games between the three co-equal teams: Spain vs Italy, Italy vs Czech Rep., Czech Rep. vs Spain. In those matches, each team came out with 3 GF, 3 GA, and a GF of +0 - therefore, by B. and C. the teams should come out still tied.

D - goal difference in all group matches - is the first place that the tie should have been broken, and wasn't. It looks like the game only got coded for A., B., and C., and finding the teams still equal sorted alphabetically.

Many thanks for that Amaroq, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious!

Archived