You bought HOW MANY players??

I'm in 2019 at the moment, so I thought I'd check the managers screen for a few records, see what interesting things I could find.

Colin Gracey

Coldsteam Manager

In charge for 4777 days

Bought 651 players

Sold 14

Checked the Coldstream reserves squad - 519 players.

Wow.

I'm in 2019 at the moment, so I thought I'd check the managers screen for a few records, see what interesting things I could find.

Colin Gracey

Coldsteam Manager

In charge for 4777 days

Bought 651 players

Sold 14

Wow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Colin Gracey

Coldsteam Manager

In charge for 4777 days

Bought 651 players

Sold 14

Wow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif

Well that's one way to keep an injury crisis at bay... icon_razz.gif

Well it's not me is it. I'd have been pretty aware if I'd bought THAT many! I've bought 54 in the same amount of time.

I have no idea who Colin Gracey is, but he sure buys a lot of players. All free transfers. That works out as one player bought every 7 days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

i would like to see a bit of proof... you would of had to buy about 40 players per season if you are only in 2019. Incredibly hard to believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not him managing them. They are managed by the AI.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ridleys:

i would like to see a bit of proof... you would of had to buy about 40 players per season if you are only in 2019. Incredibly hard to believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not him managing them. They are managed by the AI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thought i was the only one to notice he wasn't managing the team....

If you click on the player at the top of the list, then scroll down, hold shift and click on the player at the bottom of the list, by right-clicking on any of the highlighted players it'll tell you how many there are.

Here's an example of what is becoming a well-documented issue with the AI. It's not as drastic as that in the OP, but it appears to be representitive of several people's games ...

Bert Vos manages an unplayable Dutch side, ACV

His U19 squad has 2. I didn't bother with a screenie, you'll just have to take my word. icon_wink.gif

He's not the most aggressive signer in my game, just the worst retainer. Fran Butler, DCUFC's manager, has bought 334 players, sold 16, and released 333. But his squad and reserves are of a normal size. Total value of the player's he's bought - e2,000. The 16 he's sold have totaled e12,000. Jan 2011 was a banner month for Fran ... on 1.1.2011, he had his highest sale, e3,000. Ten days later, he'd spent his winfall on his highest purchace, e1,000.

His Reserve side has 149.

His 1st team has 33 players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SSGTroyer:

Here's an example of what is becoming a well-documented issue with the AI. It's not as drastic as that in the OP, but it appears to be representitive of several people's games ...

Bert Vos manages an unplayable Dutch side, ACV

His U19 squad has 2. I didn't bother with a screenie, you'll just have to take my word. icon_wink.gif

He's not the most aggressive signer in my game, just the worst retainer. Fran Butler, DCUFC's manager, has bought 334 players, sold 16, and released 333. But his squad and reserves are of a normal size. Total value of the player's he's bought - e2,000. The 16 he's sold have totaled e12,000. Jan 2011 was a banner month for Fran ... on 1.1.2011, he had his highest sale, e3,000. Ten days later, he'd spent his winfall on his highest purchace, e1,000.

His Reserve side has 149.

His 1st team has 33 players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The biggest surprise to me out of that info, (if I haven't missed anything), is that he has SOLD 114 players for cash money, (ie. not released on a free). If he has been managing since the start of the game then thats 10 and a half seasons, (can we round it down to 10 just for ease?) so 114 players sold over 10 seasons is 11.4 players sold per season. That's a mighty impressive statistic on it's own.

Maybe some of the manager/chairman attributes need tweaking. It could be that he is classed as a bit of a wheeler deeler like Harry Redknapp, but that high stats in this area lead to an unrealistic high use of the transfer market.

Getting loads of player is 1 thing.

Keeping loads of players is another thing.

Getting loads of players and selling loads of players is quite another thing and with the problems that people are experiencing with the transfer market, maybe this gives cause for hope.

Yes, I am choosing to take the positives from the negative.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

The biggest surprise to me out of that info, (if I haven't missed anything), is that he has SOLD 114 players for cash money, (ie. not released on a free)... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of them were out-of-contract players that were signed by other clubs, and some form of compensation paid, rather than outright transfer-market sales.

This season's transfer history for Bert shows 16 players in on frees, 9 out on frees, and three loans out. So far. He currently has three contract offers pending, with 5 recently rejected ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rossag:

Why can't I sell players? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should probably make your own thread for that.

When I managed the amateur side Wexford, I'd frequently sign about 45 players a season. I sold as many of them as I could, but many of them would still get contracts offered to them and they'd leave me high and dry.

The most frustrating part was developing some continuity in the first team because the players would either be injured, unfit, or too new to the club to fit in quickly. I had very inconsistent results (sort of like Liverpool).

I never managed to finish the season higher than 6th place because the second transfer window would destroy any progress I'd make in the league up to that point.

To get so many players, do you normally sign players for free?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Coldstream reserves

Here's a JPEG of the Coldstream reserves with their 519 players - all on £0 I might add. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off topic, but how are the Coldstream players not getting any wages, what contract are they on?

I've got some crap players at my club (Barcelona) who are only good enough for just filling the gaps in the reserves, but they're on £250 a week, I would love to get these wages down by 50% to sign more players.

I started a career as Wigan Ath and bought 24 players in pre season ( 16 were 21 yo or under) and majority were very cheap but had tons of potential. I sold the majority of their original squad and the media prediction was to finish in 20th spot but i finished 11th and the following year i gained UEFA qualification.

What structure do Coldstream play in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coldstream play in the East Of Scotland Premier league. Semi-pro, getting fairly close to Scottish Third Divsision on the Scottish league pyramid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exacerbating:

What structure do Coldstream play in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coldstream play in the East Of Scotland Premier league. Semi-pro, getting fairly close to Scottish Third Divsision on the Scottish league pyramid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds about right. I checked their FM2008 history and they spend just one season in the lowest playable Scottish League. 3rd division I think?

And to answer the previous question about wages - they are all on "amateur" contracts, which doesn't pay. I previously spent a year at Queens Park as manager where I also wasn't able to be paid a wage. This happens a lot in Scotland lower leagues!

Archived