Boards are still blind as bats.

I took Gateshead to the premier league in 2018 and finished 8th the first season. Along the way I have asked the board for wage/budget increases, stadium expansions and so far I have been denied every single request.

As for the stadium I was told that the city council would never allow an expansion, so I only asked twice about that. All of a sudden in 2019 they decide to build 2000 seats and deduct around 6 million euros from my balance ... but I have whoopin´ 70 million in the bank, why not be a little more ambitious and expand to at least a 20.000 sitter? ... the stadium is filled every single game. Why have I been told the city council would never allow an expansion? ... and yet they expand?

So the board decides to drop any ambitious projects and pay the shareholders a large sum of cash, thats actually fine by me. They also decide to sell 4 of my best players after the first season in the premier league due to bids they wouldnt refuse, again no ambition in sight.

With a 13000 stadium in the premier league, a very restricted wage budget, my best players out of the club I was thinking realistically that inspite of the nice 8th place in the first year I would do well to just stay in the division in 2019 ... but they worst I can choose is a top half finish.

My players are unhappy, they want to either leave the club or be paid more and will have a constant struggle in 2019 to keep everyone happy in a small squad where 2 or 3 inuries my prove disastrous.

..... apart from the 2000 sits I have received nothing from the board, they have taken and taken ... and given nothing in return.

I can actually live fine with all the small negative things like player unhappiness and a small stadium .... I was hoping that the board in FM09 would actually have taken these things into consideration setting goals.

PS: I would like to add that I have never had financial problems, all my requests have been made with consideration regarding the clubs current financial status.

I guess they are worried that they won't be in the PL for so long and need to ensure financial stability at the club until they feel more confident and established in the PL.

don't think the boards are that detailed in the game needs to be sorted in future

I guess they are worried that they won't be in the PL for so long and need to ensure financial stability at the club until they feel more confident and established in the PL.

That would actually be a fair argument, but like others have stated, the board doesnt take that into account. Its fairly certain since their ambitions are very high for cups and league inspite of the lack of stadium facilities.

My boards annoying me as I'm one of the leading sides in Finland and still only semi-pro. We're constantly improving, have a good healthy bank balance, and make a good profit each year. Also all our players are on pro contracts. Becoming professional is the only way we can go onto the next level as at present I can't attract any good players from within Finland, as they'd all rather sign for much worse teams who are professional.

That would actually be a fair argument, but like others have stated, the board doesnt take that into account. Its fairly certain since their ambitions are very high for cups and league inspite of the lack of stadium facilities.

Fair point and i agree with you.

Archived