changing captian

Quite a silly thing to do tbh. Why would you give the captaincy to a new player at the club who hasn't earnt the respect of all the current players at your club? :confused:

Higher influence? That is the main reason surely, I doubt that length of time at club has much baring on whether they are a good captain or not, it is all down to influence.

The influence stat should be viewed as the potential influence a player could have. Being liked by other players at the club and time spent there are actually more important. Never, EVER, assign the captaincy to a newly signed player.

The influence stat should be viewed as the potential influence a player could have. Being liked by other players at the club and time spent there are actually more important. Never, EVER, assign the captaincy to a newly signed player.

What makes you say that? Where did you read that? Link? :)

Higher influence? That is the main reason surely, I doubt that length of time at club has much baring on whether they are a good captain or not, it is all down to influence.

Yeah I can see why you're saying that obviously but how do you think John Terry would feel if Ancelotti bought Gattuso, for example, and made him captain? He and the rest of the squad would be very p**sed off. I disagree that length of the time at the club has no effect on a club's captain.

Yeah I can see why you're saying that obviously but how do you think John Terry would feel if Ancelotti bought Gattuso, for example, and made him captian? He and the rest of the squad would be very p**sed off. I disagree that length of the time at the club has no effect on a club's captain.

That's a moot point, Gattuso wouldn't have greater influence than Terry :) With this thread in mind, a better example would be; Newcastle signing John Terry and him replacing Michael Owen as captain. In that scenario it would be logical to change captain.

That's a moot point, Gattuso wouldn't have greater influence than Terry :) With this thread in mind, a better example would be; Newcastle signing John Terry and him replacing Michael Owen as captain. In that scenario it would be logical to change captain.

Ok, my example wasn't that great but that's the only one I could think of off the top of my head. It still doesn't make sense to give the captaincy to a newly signed player because he has a higher influence. The evidence is there in the OP - the squad became very unhappy.

I don't necessarily give a player the captaincy just because he has a high influence attribute. There are many other factors such as personality, time at the club, language and attributes such as bravery, teamwork, work rate etc. that I take into account.

Ok, my example wasn't that great but that's the only one I could think of off the top of my head. It still doesn't make sense to give the captaincy to a newly signed player because he has a higher influence. The evidence is there in the OP - the squad became very unhappy.

I don't necessarily give a player the captaincy just because he has a high influence attribute. There are many other factors such as personality, time at the club, language and attributes such as bravery, teamwork, work rate etc. that I take into account.

I take your point, but;

Because Nobody in my current team had a a good influence attributes and those who did I couldn't guarantee that they are going to start

In which case it is sensible to change captain, whether the squad like it or not.

Also I would consider it an issue with the game if, for example, I had a player with 8 influence who had been at the club for 15 years, then signed a player with 20 influence and their teammates became unhappy when I changed Captain.

In one of the in game hints it says that the most important factor when choosing a new captain is influence.

I generally found the new signings can be made captain if they have high influence so long as they speak the language well.

Well, I usually give the captaincy to a player who covers several catagories:

Extremely Important

- High Influence: 15+

- Can speak the language of the club

- Well liked by the squad

Other

- Time at the club: Usually 3+ years

- Game time: Usually aim for at least 70-90% of matches (depending on how high the workload is)

- Quality: Should be the clubs star player, or one of the club's star players

- Club favoured personel: Both having the club as his favoured club and the club having him as favoured personel

For example, my current captain:

- Influence: 15

- Speaks English

- Loved by all

- 14 years, been at the club since he was 15, so basically half his life.

- 28 years old

- Usually plays 50 of the 60-68 matches a season (73.5-83.3%)

- World Class forward with 286 goals in his 574 matches (so far) for the club

- Both

Quite a silly thing to do tbh. Why would you give the captaincy to a new player at the club who hasn't earnt the respect of all the current players at your club? :confused:

Naylor at Leeds did a great job last season

Never, EVER, assign the captaincy to a newly signed player.

It seems likely that Mark Hughes is going to give the Citeh captaincy to Gareth Barry, providing he offloads Dunne.

I do support the point that INF should be ONE factor among others (age, experience, language, workrate etc) in selecting a captain.

I think captaincy is something that is completely subjective to the club and the player. Wasn't Torres captain at his previous club at the age of 19? And in lower leagues, or even in the higher leagues, I've found that if I buy a player that is a class above the rest of my team making them captain can have a positive effect.

My god

That player who I appointed captain is an awful players and not settled in yet

I am in September what will happen If i change captain again ??????

you'll be okay providing you make the right choice. Look through the first team squad players personal pages and check who they have 'good relationships' with (last item of 'happiness'). If one player stands out, he'll be widely respected as captain.

HELP!!!!

Not sure what to do now

I changed the captain to a new player who is respected and been at the club a long time and everyoune apart from him is saying i was to quick to change captian

And the player replaced is very angry

What do I do ?????

Cheers

That is a shocker, I really don't like how easily squad members are influenced by the choice of Captain. Example - got made England manager just before a major tournament (WC 2014 I think) so chose my capt, can't remember who, after the tournament this player retired so I chose a new capt...fully 90% of the squad were unhappy because they felt I "hadn't given the previous captain enough time"...ridiculous!

In answer to your dilemma, I find that if your captain is a good player and performs well then the dissenters usually quieten down after 2/3matches, if they aren't good enough then, like in your case, you are truly stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Changing captains is bound to have a massive effect on the playing squad. I think FM has it about right.

If you make the right decision then it shouldn't be a problem. I find that if you make sure they have the correct stats, been at the club for a fair while and the other players like him, then it should go smoothly.

Having said that, if you bring in a new player who has a big reputation - then the players will accept that - so time at club isn't always that important.

Changing captains does have an effect. In my Milan team I changed the captain from Kaka to Thiago Silva. A few key players were unhappy but nothing else came of it. By the time the season kicked off, everything was fine and no one complained. However, I have noticed that it's a good idea to consider the hidden attributes of the player you are planning to make captain. Go into the coaches report and see what your coaches and assistant say about the player. Once, I made a player captain who had great influence, teamwork, determination, bravery, decision making, but as soon as I named him captain he complained about being under too much pressure. I checked his coach report and it said that the player does not enjoy big matches or something like that, basically his hidden stat for handling pressure was low. This also reflected in the team's performance. My team was really struggling through most matches, and barely getting positive results, and this is after a season in which we won the EPL and Champions League, but with a different captain.

I was offered the spurs job after 4 years in belgium, I bought my previous captain over with me (its a revelation having money!!), but because he is relatively young (23) I kept Ledley King as captain (even though he's not 1st choice defender) and made my favoured player vice captain.

No one got upset that a new player is vice captain, and I reckon in a year I can move him up to replace king as captain and everyone will be happy. Thats what I'm hoping for anyway, I do want to keep king in the squad for a few more years to mentor my young players though, so we'll see how we go :)

Archived