Something FM fans have wanted for a while?

In order to prevent closure, please can we discuss the following in terms of how the idea may benefit FM? Pasted from the BGS site re CM10. If the thread is closed it's also mention in the current "competition" thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=130334&page=4

Championship Manager 2010™ to launch this September

Beautiful Game Studios are proud to announce the next iteration of the Championship Manager series is set to kick off in September 2009, including a brand new feature never before seen in a football management game. - CM Season Live™

CM Season Live™

While we’ve been polishing the game during our extended dev time, it’s also given us the chance to include a unique feature which will add longevity to the game.

CM Season Live™ is an additional monthly update that lets players download the real-world 09/10 football season data, at that point in time, and then take charge of their chosen club. All of the scores, competition standings, player transfers, player stats, bookings, major injuries, average ratings etc. from the ten leading countries in Europe, downloaded directly on a monthly basis throughout the season - full updates of 49 major leagues and competitions. CM Season Live™ starts on October 15th and will be available at monthly intervals for 6 months.

CM 2010 will be available in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish & Turkish languages, and will be up to date for the 2009/2010 season. Additionally, there will also be an official data editor made available.

For full information on how CM Season Live™ works, click here for more details!

http://www.championshipmanager.co.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.917?PHPSESSID=834e6d8ab8e8baf5f4c55eb323506992

Interesting, no?

CM Season Live™

CM Season Live™ is an exciting new feature coming to Championship Manager 2010 - a series of updates that allow players to experience the entire 2009/10 football season as it unfolds. The first Season Live™ will be available from October 15th 2009.

Each monthly update features full information for 49 competitions across 10 European countries containing all the scores, league standings, and competition placings for every club and full player info including signings, scorers, average ratings, major injuries and bans

To give an example of how these will fundamentally affect your experience of Championship Manager, cast your mind back to the end of last season, when Alan Shearer was appointed Newcastle manager. He had just 8 games to turn their fortunes around and save them from relegation.

Unfortunately for Newcastle, it wasn’t to be. Picking up just 5 points from their remaining games resulted in relegation.

But how would you approach the same situation?

Imagine taking charge at that point, with all results, bookings and injuries reflecting real life, even a players’ games/goals and average rating all accurate and in line with real world football. That is the opportunity that CM Season Live™ offers.

With 6 monthly updates available throughout the season, from October 15th, you can start your game & take on the managerial hotseat from varying start dates as the season progresses, and try to change your club’s fortunes for the better. Of course if you wish, you can still start from the beginning of the campaign, or from any other update point.

CM Season Live™ is about offering players a huge choice of gameplay and will radically alter their experience of football management

“We’re still finalising the price for CM Season Live, but we expect it to be priced at around £5 for all 6 monthly updates. Players can be sure of is that they’ll be looking at less than a half time pint and pie at most football grounds.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34803/Championship-Manager-2010-dated

Not sure how much the game will be at POS, but a fiver seems reasonable.

I have never really liked the UI for CM, plus its other failings, so have always bought FM, but this really ups the ante in my opinion. And if they stick to the September release date...

Brilliant idea and what is 5 pounds over a 6 months period ummmmmmmm 25p per week not alot is it really and think the idea is cool and imaginitive and for one can not wait to play the demo of this game as it has taken 2 years to make it might be a game which may challenege SI.

Personally its not something that interests me especially if you have to pay for it.

Its £5/£6 not exactly breaking the bank is it? Don't forget it has taken 2yrs to get this game out so its a little extra cash in the bank for them.

tbh CM has really gone out and done themselfs the world of good

Currently £24.99 on Play.com.

FM was £29.99 last year, but these prices can come down. I imagine the price is there because you are, in effect, getting a new game experience out of it.

I'm not sure how this will work in FM terms, because start dates have always been hard coded into the system. That's why you can get data updates for player moves but not change the start date, eg, to 1st Feb, or even go back in time to 1999.

If anyone out there knows a lot about programming, does this mean 3rd party editors will be able to play around with this sort of thing?

Its an intresting idea but doesn't quite fit in with playing a carrer game.

I would use a christmas update from start of transfer window so you had the chance to sign new players to turn a slump around.

Its £5/£6 not exactly breaking the bank is it? Don't forget it has taken 2yrs to get this game out so its a little extra cash in the bank for them.

Along with the training ground stuff and free kick creator, I'd say FM10 has to be very, very good to compete.

I'll play the demo of CM but will hold off on shelling out money until I've seen FM's demo. All the bells and whistle in the world won't mean a thing unless they can compete with FM's game play.

Ill copy and paste to reply from Roy Meredith who took time out to answer my question about the live section of CM10

Cynet - Season Live is only for the retail copies of the game. They're 6 downloadable updates, available monthly specifically to create new gameplay challenges within the CM10 game, meaning you can start your season at any point you wish and face the same challenges as 'real world' managers.

There are no plans for an on-line version of the game (as per FM Live) at the moment...

Hope that helps

£5 won't break the bank but then that bank wouldn't be there if I had kept spending all those £5 ;)

Seriously though fair play to them its a new idea that will be of interest to some people but for me I'm not bothered by it and wouldn't purchase it.

I just don't get some peoples mentality that they want a 100% complete and accurate database all the time.

its certainly an interesting proposition.

£5 for all 6 monthly updates?

not sure i'd be interested but i can see why others would be.

one point though, and its this.. i remember SI saying they couldn't have the real fixture lists (all in the correct order) for some copy right thing.

so are BGS saying they do?

becuase if you get to play the last 8 games as newcastle but the games are different then it wouldn't be much good.

The update is something never done before on a football management game until now and the whole way CM10 is going to me its the right direction and as long as they get the match engine right and support then think this could be a good game.

the amount of things they'll have to get right in the data updates is quite phenomenal in my opinion.

not only do they need the normal stats like goals scored/conceeded,mintues played, if they were subbed, average ratings, injuries sustained through out the year, but they've also got to get the moral right for each of the players and stuff like that.

if they pull it off that will be something. but as m fenton says, it would probably be in their interests to employ this group of people to get the actual stats right rather than do this extra thing.

Not the worst idea but nor something that interests me.

If done 100% accurately it could be good, but certainly not the best allocation of time.

Much better than the FIFA monthly thing of updating stats based on form, in the usual EA bias of course.

its certainly an interesting proposition.

£5 for all 6 monthly updates?

not sure i'd be interested but i can see why others would be.

one point though, and its this.. i remember SI saying they couldn't have the real fixture lists (all in the correct order) for some copy right thing.

so are BGS saying they do?

becuase if you get to play the last 8 games as newcastle but the games are different then it wouldn't be much good.

It's a good point. And I'm not sure how much interest there will be long-term unless it's your club that's got the interesting situation. Okay, Newcastle is an exception - a lot of people would play that, me included - but unless something really specific is happening at Leeds, I'm not sure I'd use this other than to start in Jan or Feb. I do like the idea, though. I think it's going to help sell a few copies. But like others have said, the most important thing is the core gameplay, which CM just can't seem to get right.

Having knowledge of CM's previous incarnations and their quality of data, this doesn't inspire me with any want. It does however sound like a very good idea. Even though SI basically do the vast majority of what they're proposing for free anyway.

I really don't like it!

FM is my world of football. It has a start, with data created from real football, obviouly. But from that moment is completely independent, with unique stories, transfers, winners and losers. Who cares about real football when you are in 2011?

It's about having choices in how a game is developed and in this case there is a realism option in the update part of this game. Who can be arsed each season to go in a data option and take hours afrer hours to change it all, i know i cant.

This is a new thing in the game of football management and us being footie management fans we should rejoice in the fact there might be a choice in football games and that can only be a good thing for all football fans.

It's about having choices in how a game is developed and in this case there is a realism option in the update part of this game. Who can be arsed each season to go in a data option and take hours afrer hours to change it all, i know i cant.

This is a new thing in the game of football management and us being footie management fans we should rejoice in the fact there might be a choice in football games and that can only be a good thing for all football fans.

Not sure what you mean by that but FM is released every year and the transfers are accurate at the end of the summer window.

The final patch normally includes transfers that occurred during the winter window so thats twice a season you get an official database update.

On top of that there are many unofficial databases floating around the web for free from various fansites.

So in conclusion you have no real need to edit the database yourself although it is also there as another option.

The research and testing required in order to do something like this in the timescales of one update per month imo isn't feasible.

A much larger research and testing team like FM has couldn't do this so I highly doubt that CM will be able to do so with a smaller team.

Does no one find it ironic that a feature designed to produce "longevity" involves restarting your save every month?

Seems like something else they decided to impliment after considering it for about 5 minutes and checking to see if FM has it.

Archived