Question about developing youngsters

Hey guys.

When developing youngsters, who are about 17 years and older, I know it is important to play them in your first team. However, could e.g. a good 17-year old play regularly in the first team, all matches and whole matches, or will it have a negative effect? Maybe the player becomes exhausted and therefore won't develop his attributes?

How does this work?

There are a couple of threads around here I've added links by Sfraser and catafan to. They're really good guides about developing youngsters I'd go check them out if I were you. Either search for them here or go to tactics and training forum.

Sfrasers is a sticky so it'll be easy to find. Catafan's will be harder to find use ctrl+f to look for catanfan on the first few pages. It'll be easy to spot.

The short answer is, yes, if you play a youngster too much at too high of a level, or if he gets too much press attention and media hype, and he doesn't have the hidden and mental attributes to handle it, he gains the status

"Feeling the Pressure of Public Expectation."

He won't develop, and you may even see attributes regressing.

That shouldn't be too bad for him - I've only had one BSP player suffer, and that was based on media hype and me hyping him up as well.

The playing-time-based pressure is much more likely to come up at the Premiership and Championship level.

My own personal experience... at least get him some spot starts during the season to help his development. I try to give my 17 and 18 year olds at least 10 to 12 games during the course of season. When I do that, I more often than not see the player develop nicely toward his potential. Of course, if he's playing even close to the level of the rest of the team, I let him get even more playing time.

Thanks guys.

I've signed Saivet to my Milan side, first season, and I wasn't sure whether to have him in the first squad as an AMR and let him play regularly, or if it would be better to only let him play some matches. I think I will play him regularly though, and see how it works out.

Archived