Improving Team Talks

I think everyone agrees that team talks aren't good enough at the moment so I have some suggestions for how they could be improved.

Result/Performance

We should be able to choose whether to comment on the result or the performance. At half time we would have three categories of team talk: comment on the scoreline, comment on the first half performance, tell your players what you want them to do in the second half. Likewise at full time we would be able to comment on the result, the performance, or just the second half performance.

This would have the added advantage of making team talks more difficult without turning them into a game of Russian roulette. The response of the players could be determined by what you don't say as much as what you do say. For example if you choose to criticise the second half performance after a win, the players may be upset that you aren't giving them enough credit for winning the match. On the other hand, it may have the long term effect of preventing complacency in future matches.

Link individual talks to mistakes

The game already records mistakes, and mistakes that lead to goals. Why not link this to team talks so that we could criticise a certain player for making a mistake? We could also console him, or tell him he did nothing wrong and that people are ignorant to blame him for it.

On a similar note you could also lambaste a player for his attitude. Say you bring on a sub and he is being complacent. At full time you could tell him you aren't happy with his attitude.

Comment on third parties

I've often had games where the referee has given major decisions against us in the first half. It would be great to be able to create a siege mentality by telling your players to go out and beat the referee. This would be more effective if you've spent time building up a siege mentality in the past so your players are willing to believe that the world is out to get them instead of just thinking you're a loony.

If the opposition manager has been doing your team down or making arrogant comments in the press, you could tell your players to make him eat his words. I know the players think like that anyway, but you could make the effect even bigger by focusing on it in a team talk.

Yes these are good ideas similar to my ideas. I think the teamtalk should be split into 3 (comment on the performance, tell your players what you want them too do in the remainder of the game and individual team talks that let you comment on how a players playing, critise mistakes, tell him how too play etc.).

Like it :thup:. Team talks i feel need to be larger, i mean have a more expansive range of answers. A start would be to have all the options at every team talk. I only see 'Encourage' when im winning 1-0 at half time. I'd like to be able to 'encourage' at all score levels TBH.

Thing is there's a lot of programming involved with this and it'll make the team talks Russian Roulette with bigger odds stacked against the user. The user would have to get multiple aspects of the team talk right.

I like the idea but I think it's impractical because of where AI technology is right now.

I like the idea but I'm not convinced the implementation would be any better than we have now. Splitting the talk into different categories would make sense, especially at full time where you can't comment on just the second half performance at the moment.

I would also like it if any the three choices you are given when up about 3-0 in second leg worked. Any time i used don't get careless I've always been knocked out (even with 2nd legs at home, and no weakening of the team) and the other two aren't much better.

Archived