sliders

as fm is meant to be a simulation. how can you relate what you do with sliders as actually what the managers would do?

it's impossible to scream all that information from the touchlines isn't it?

in the next version can we have a more realistic simulation please? maybe training should overtake the sliders? at the moment trainings only individual based. also aswell as actually being realistic you would actually not spend the ENTIRE in-match play fiddling with sliders every second!

evolve please, get rid of the sliders. forget about all these repetetive press conference rubbish.

anyone who seriously wants or thinks sliders are realistic anymore?

Here's a little thought.

How about separating those tactical elements that would be worked on on the training ground, and delivered to / drilled-in to the players pre-match, from the kind of things a manager would try to get across to his team from the touchline?

And this would mean that you could only change the latter (smaller) group of instructions during the match? (things like marking instructions, mentality etc. - but you could revise the deeper tactical stuff at half time). And might this help lead to a more understandable, possibly more intuitive, and more interesting tactical interface in FM...?

'In-game' changes

I'd like to be able to make changes 'in-game', without pausing and then flipping out of the game to a completely different screen.

So how about a sort of 'In-Game Tactics Panel', where I can change the latter group of settings and apply it whilst still in 3d mode? And how about separating that slightly further into things that I would shout out to the players at particular points in the match, depending on what was happening?

(So maybe this is another, slightly smaller Panel, or a smaller section of it).

Like 'push up!' (all-out attack), 'go deep' (deep defensive line), 'go long' (play more direct), 'pass it!' (play short).

You could possibly even have some emotive reactions... try to encourage the team (not specifically tactical, bit like the team-talk stuff).

You could also optionally control the level of input your assistant manager has into these things on match-day, rather than being the bit-part player he currently is; if you trust his feedback, then you could let him deliver some of the side-line instructions, and do less of them yourself.

Or you might not want to risk that, and you might want to do it all yourself. There could be an element shouting instructions / encouragements out to individual players as well.

Click on the player in the match and then a similar 'Player Panel' becomes active, that relates to him, until you click on someone else.

All this a) Reducing the reliance on the sliders, and b) providing an interface that people will relate to and c) really adding a lot of value to the full, in-match experience.

Further more you would hear your and your assistant's instructions as they are made from the sidelines.

None of this would really be changing any of the AI that underpins the game (SI's traditional strongpoint); it is just changing the interface to make it more intuitive, more accessible, and more FUN that it is at the moment.... this, I feel, is where SI's challenge really lies for future versions of the game...

yea anton there should be a combination like those. make it a proper sim, after all the whole game is on "we all want to be a football manager".

yea i agree there should be limited sideline influence aswell but i don't think the game should make it ABSOLUTELY compulsive that you have to shout from the sidelines to achieve success just because its a "feature" in the game. some managers say nothing when the players are playing, others do shout at times.

the ability and constant need to keep fiddling sliders throughout every match is ridicoulous and unrealistic and incredibly annoying.

Archived