Does a 10 year career get old? or is it a bug?

I had a problem with an old save game on the new patch.

I started a game with leicester city in league one when i first got FM2009. Everything was fine, everything was happy, i got them to the prem in 4 seasons and kept them up.

I came back to the save after getting the 9.0.3 patch. After 5 seasons I'd managed to win the league.

You'd think that was a challenge. But it wasnt. After I got the patch, the game seemed to stagnate- premiership clubs stop signing good players (indeed most players stopped moving). There are no more wonderkids. There are no world class players being bred (or very very few). Ronaldo, tevez, carrick, rooney, fletcher and nani all play for man utd in their 30s. Its crap!!

I wondered if the finances were wrecked. I check man utd (by adding a user). Transfer budget- £150m. Same with city, liverpool, arsenal.

Did having a save across 3 patches ruin my game? I remember in another save with Rangers, I didn't have this problem before the patches came out - There were world class Regens, man utd had a better right winger than ronaldo after 4 seasons!

Has anyone else found this problem? Its impossible to find good regens, there are no good goalkeepers/wingers produced and the transfers have just stopped! Is it the 9.0.3 patch itself or is it ok if u start a new game?

I won everything and stopped playing because it felt like I was playing while surrounded by no intelligence whatsoever.

Im about 10 years into my game as united manager (Ran across all patches like yours). Ive still got ronaldo and rooney and vidic in my squad/team. Mostly out of sentiment, but they still do a great job.

Ive found a winger at the age of 17 that had the potential to be better than ronaldo, i groomed him and he did become a better player than him, tbh i have bought a lot of the games top youth that my scouts have found, and sometimes they are sold on if they end up not fitting in with the EPL.

Chelsea and Arsenal both have their share of world class regens, and have done since the first batch, liverpool on the other hand got relegated so they have Championship class regens :p

Real madrid and barcelona, both bought talent at an early age for big bucks, and suffered for it. Betis won the league that year after spending low a few seasons earlier and grooming players into a top class team.

The italian league has suffered slightly, inter and juventus both have great young squads but AC Milan are still an aging team because the manager seemed to want to continue the tradition of having old players.

So in conclusion, there seem to be a good number of "world class" regens in my game, maybe you have had some barren years, i know my game has but they pick up again.

I am in 2020 and the game gets a bit boring due to lack of competition I have found the regens are so good that other team can compete with my Sunderland side. We have won every competition for 4 years in a row, we have a side full of world class players even the subs are brilliant. GKs I have found a bit of a problem and there doesnt seem to be that many really world class ones.

Archived