A few questions regarding FM

Some of theses questions may be a bit silly number one in particular :D

1) Could somebody give me the idiot guide to the 'stops play' trait please?What exactly is it?

2) How often should you change/modify your tactics?

3) Has anybody ever appealed a red card and had the punishment reduced?

4) How do you combat and/or reduce second season syndrome?

5) How detramental is it to have a squad with the average age of 21?I tend to sign no players over the age of 21.That may be a stupid question but recently I have fell flat on my face using this once sucessful policy.

6) Is 4-4-2 finished?How many still use this in FM?

If its relevant I am playing FM07 :) 08 was poor IMO and I have never played 09 because my laptop would blow up!Compared to 08 I think 07 is the much better game no flaming please :D

Sorry if these questions have been asked delete this thread nice moddies if thats the case!Thanks :D

1) Could somebody give me the idiot guide to the 'stops play' trait please?What exactly is it?

I am not exactly sure what it does I suppose its someone who slows the game down.

I never have change my tactic during games once I get a tactic working I stick with it I am on a 110 game unbeaten run as Barcelona and I havent changed tactic in 2 seasons. With my Sunderland team I have won every competition for 3 years straight and have not changed at all.

No, never.

Never suffered from it I dont think it exists in the game.

5) How detramental is it to have a squad with the average age of 21?I tend to sign no players over the age of

21.That may be a stupid question but recently I have fell flat on my face using this once sucessful policy.

I dont think it matters at all age doesnt make a difference if they are good enough is all that matters.

I find 4-4-2 the most successful tactic, depending on how you look at it some might not see it as a 4-4-2 but I find using an AMR and AML results in some fantastic play.

Stops play means stops opposition attacks. Pass interception or tackle which ends your opponents attack

The answer to number 2 and 4: You might want to change your tactics if your squad isn't good enough to simply outclass your opponent. You'd want to use different tactics home and away or under certain weather conditions. The AI usually counters your tactic especially at the end of each season. If you win the league and you suddenly become heavy favorites then the AI will defend more than it did before which might make your tactic less effective.

I have but it happened very rarely if I remember correctly I haven't played 07 in a while.

5) How detramental is it to have a squad with the average age of 21?I tend to sign no players over the age of 21.That may be a stupid question but recently I have fell flat on my face using this once sucessful policy.

Like Acidburn said.

Again acid burn got it spot on.

Like in Italian football its slow, not much use if you have high tempo tactic.

Dont do it if you dont need to, i modify certain things in game such as closing down

Yep

Doesn't exist

I won the Premier League with a team whos average age was 22

I have been using to with succes at Plymouth for six seasons, i have won the Europa cup and the Premier league

Stops play = player puts their foot on the ball, or stops it and controls it, then looks around before making his next move. It's generally a positive trait, essentially meaning that a player takes a bit more time to pick a pass or whatever. It should be contrasted with 'dwells on ball' which is a negative version of that trait. The player in this case spends too much time on the ball.

As often as you need to in order to win. :D

Read scout reports and have different tactics to cope with different approaches by the AI is my biggest tip.

Can't remember 07. I think it is probably rare but can happen.

If you have had a successful season, you may need to become more attacking. Look back to my scout report tips. Many sides will be playing very defensively against you.

It very much depends. A lot of this will depend upon their hidden mental traits. Younger players often have lower consistency and important matches, for instance, as well as other traits relating to pressure and so on and so forth. Essentially, these mental attributes develop over time, so older players (in general) will be more consistent and better able to play well in pressure situations. Obviously, some youngsters will be very consistent straight away too. But with a younger side you run more of a risk in terms of these mental traits which will have an effect on how often your youngsters perform to their best.

No. 4-4-2 is a great. :cool:

C.

Younger players will tend to be much more susceptible to the effects of Morale, Team Talks, and disheartened by going a goal down.

What I've found is that a team of talented 20-year-olds is likely to go on fine winning streaks, but one defeat can precipitate a ten-game winless streak where goals are hard to come by. Once Morale drops, its very hard to get them back on track!

A team of less-talented 30-year-olds, on the other hand, is likely to shrug a single defeat as "bad luck", keeping Morale high, and are more likely to keep working hard to grind out results even when it seems that they can't buy a win.

In my experience, a mixture of both is best; I'm especially prone to keeping a central spine of consistent veterans: goalkeeper, central defense, central midfielder, and striker .. though three of those may be partnered with a younger, streakier player. I think of these as my "grinders", guys who will work hard to grind out a win no matter what.

In addition to the hidden Consistency and Important Matches attributes, the player's Mentality (hidden: Professionalism), Determination, Work Rate, and Teamwork all come into play during those losing streaks as well.

2) How often should you change/modify your tactics? --

Change -- Rarely, unless you have extremely gifted versatile players who adapt to changes well and quickly.

Modify -- Frequently, changing from an attacking to defensive mentality without changing formation structure.

3) Has anybody ever appealed a red card and had the punishment reduced? --

Never .. it always seems to be made worse by me appealing.

6) Is 4-4-2 finished?How many still use this in FM? --

No it is one of the more versatile base formations in the game suited to both Attacking and Defensive play, it is this versatility however that makes it harder to 'get it right'. Yes I use a standard 'Flat 442' formation.

Thanks guys this advice was much more in depth than I anticipated :)

Amaroq I think what you said is spot on I often find I can win a few on the bounce but then I will not win for a few more.Them periods where everything that can go wrong will i.e Red cards,injurys to key players and all that stuff!

At the moment I am managing in Seria B with Siena around mid table where I was predicted.I'm in debt aswell :(

As I have no money I cant chop and change the older players.I will take the advice and keep the spine of the time experienced with young and hungry players for a nice balance.

I have another question aswell unfortunatly for you regarding Italian co-ownership rule :D

I accepted a teams offer to co-own one of my promising youngsters but my team would remain his playing side.What happens at the set date?Do I basically have to buy him 100% or sell him 100%?Sorry for another stupid question.In all my 10 years playing FM/CM I have never managed in Italy!

Regarding question 2 that was a bit vague.I change my tactics during a game if I'm losing I play 3-4-1-2 and if I'm holding on I go to 4-5-1 or 5-4-1. I was referring to my normal pre match tactics cause I often feel I have been sussed so to speak :D

Some of theses questions may be a bit silly number one in particular :D

I never do, im in season 2021/2022 and I've had the same tactics all saved game, even the same tactics I used in FM08

I've appealed it as much as they allow me, I've had very little success, probably 6% success rate

Well my average is is 19 or so. once they hit 22 and older I tend to sell them off as long as I find quality regens of course. With this, I have also won 31 trophies in my 9 years at Liverpool

I've used 4-4-2 since day dot in cm & fm

If its relevant I am playing FM07 :) 08 was poor IMO and I have never played 09 because my laptop would blow up!Compared to 08 I think 07 is the much better game no flaming please :D

Sorry if these questions have been asked delete this thread nice moddies if thats the case!Thanks :D

So you wont be getting any future releases in FM ? And just stick with 07 ?

So you wont be getting any future releases in FM ? And just stick with 07 ?

I played 08 (Post patch) and thought that 07 seemed the much more complete game and because of my feelings towards 08 I never considered buying 09.I will deffo see whats new in the next edition though but 1st I need to upgrade my laptop!And FM/CM has always been evolution not revolution so other than the updated teams and 3d match views I dont think I am missing much tbh :D

Thanks, ZigZag - I try! :D

I'm not sure the co-ownership thing - I recall there being a co-ownership bug in FM'09, but I don't remember what it is. Hopefully a regular Italian manager can answer

a.) How it's supposed to work, and

b.) How it does work in '09, if that's different.

Guys?

Regarding question 2 that was a bit vague.I change my tactics during a game if I'm losing I play 3-4-1-2 and if I'm holding on I go to 4-5-1 or 5-4-1. I was referring to my normal pre match tactics cause I often feel I have been sussed so to speak :D

Hmm; all I can tell you is what I do. I have about six basic "Tactics" that I use, all within the same "Formation". I call them:

4-4-2 Attacking

4-4-2 Control (Patient Build-up)

4-4-2 Standard (Aggressive)

4-4-2 Standard (Conservative)

4-4-2 Counter-Attack

4-4-2 Defensive

They've all fairly different from each other, though the players are in the same spots on the pitch: different "Forward Runs"; different passing, tempo, and time wasting instructions; different set-piece instructions; etc.

I will start a match in either Control, Standard (Agg), Standard (Con), or Counter-Attack, depending on whether I'm heavily favored to win, at home/slightly favored, away/slight underdog, or heavily underdog.

Then, of course, throughout the match I'll shift by degrees based on what's working or not, what the scoreline is, and how much time is left.

I think this winds up giving me tactical flexibility (options in different matches) without causing my players to experience a "we're playing in an unfamiliar formation" penalty to their play.

Well after this current season is finished I have around 10 games left I am going to make my own tactics in a similar manner to what you have suggested instead of just changing them on the spot during a game.Hopefully it will help get me out of mid table obscurity :)

I have another question!I will be banned for spamming soon :D

8) Is it possible to improve a players weaker foot by retraining them on the side in which there foot is the weakest?

9) Also is it possible for a player to become a natural in a position which isnt their natural one?

10) What skills would you look for in a coach who you want to train your team set pieces sucessfully?

I hope I have worded them questions right it was a bit of a tongue twister to get out!

Thanks again!

I will try and not ask anymore I promise :D

8) You can if you train them in shooting but whether they improve their weak foot is down to luck more than anything else.

9) No. A player can only ever reach accomplished through training.

10) Technique attacking and mental.

If Technique 20 then mental+attacking = 30

If Technique 19 then mental+attacking = 33

If Technique 18 then mental+attacking = 36

If Technique 17 then mental+attacking = 39

By the way just to clarfiy stops play is definitely interrupting the opponents attack. It's basically what Ditmar Hamman did for Liverpool.

8) You can if you train them in shooting but whether they improve their weak foot is down to luck more than anything else.

9) No. A player can only ever reach accomplished through training.

10) Technique attacking and mental.

If Technique 20 then mental+attacking = 30

If Technique 19 then mental+attacking = 33

If Technique 18 then mental+attacking = 36

If Technique 17 then mental+attacking = 39

By the way just to clarfiy stops play is definitely interrupting the opponents attack. It's basically what Ditmar Hamman did for Liverpool.

What you say about not being able to train a player to be natural is false. I have done this many a time, just depends on how versatile they are.

8) Yes - training a player in one of the left-sided positions (DL, WBL, ML, AML) will train his left foot. Whether or not, and by how much, his left foot improves is up to his adaptability, his age, and his remaining untapped potential. Reaching "Either" footedness requires a lot of potential, so many players can't reach it. (Training shooting has nothing to do with it, in my experience.)

9) Yes - I've successfully trained a player up to "Natural" in a new position; again, adaptability and age are key factors - this is going to work much better for that high-potential 16-year-old than for a 28-year-old established veteran.

No, this is definitely wrong. You are giving out incorrect information.

'Stops play' - Player who pauses and looks around before doing anything with ball.

Contrasted with 'dwells on ball' - Pauses too long with ball before deciding what to do (negative trait as oppose to “Stops Play” which is more positive).

This is copy and pasted from official SI documentation.

C.

Archived