Why can't I just win the Champions League, just once?

Every year, every bloody year some aberration knocks me out of the Champions League and I can't do anything about it. I just put it down to bad luck the first three times I lost in the final.

Then came the huge shootout vs AC Milan. After Gerrard won a 'dubious decision' to award a penalty.

Dominating against Arsenal until a bizarre keeper error let Arsenal score and thier keeper was quite the opposite

Next year, we go out on away goals thanks to a corner and free kick in the semi final vs AC Milan, it was 17-5 for shots over 2 legs, 3-0 for clear cut chances and it ended a 50+ game unbeaten run.

Then, possibly the worst was us cruising against Liverpool until Vela decided to elbow Mascherano for no reason when going for a high ball. We held out until Torres shattered us with two late goals.

Finally, this year we've crashed out in the semis against Arsenal, drawing 3-3 against them at home, despite 3 clear cut chances to nil, with Valdes letting a very slow backpass trickle into the net the main thing that infuriated me. Away from home, we lost 2-0, with 15 shots to their 4. Clear cut chances over 2 legs was 5-0 to us! And we lost 5-3! Total hell!

fail17-2.jpg

This game HATES me.

That sort of history would crush me.

I always play as a Lower League Manager so my best ever team was Fiorentina. Twice I got through to the Champions League final almost without paying attention as I was so focused on winning the Serie A (won 7 times in 10 years). But I lost both CL finals deservedly.

Then I left for Lyon, got a bit of success there, went back to the Serie A with Juventus (just up from relegation) and surprisingly won the Serie A and got to the Final of the CL. Guess what? I lost.

We were comfortable at 1-0 up against Barcelona until Van der Vaart scored with his first touch of the game at 90 +4 minutes (3 minutes of injury time awarded). What was worst was that it was one of the best goals i've ever seen. A 30-35 yard blinder that arced the distance into the far top-right hand corner of the net. I was apoplectic. Barcelona supersub Gudjohnsen finished me off in Extra Time with an unmarked header.

So my record reads CL Finals = 3, CL Trophies = 0 ;)

It still hurts.

Has to be unlucky as my Barca save is going in the complete opposite as yours. I've even had an epic pk shootout like yours, but lucky for me it went in my favor! Just stick it out mate. You'll get one next season!

barca.jpg

lotsopk.jpg

You not saying your delighted when you win the semi's are you???? just congratulations is enough and i think if you say delighted they think theyve achieved enough and may not necessarliy try hard enough in the final, silly as that may sound irl, ive never won a final when saying i was delighted they won the semi

Get rid of Valdes! For me he was great but had the same terrible habbit of giving away ridiculous goals in big games!!!

He has Asenjo.

That is unlucky, but at least you know you can do it, it's just forces have transpired against you.

You not saying your delighted when you win the semi's are you???? just congratulations is enough and i think if you say delighted they think theyve achieved enough and may not necessarliy try hard enough in the final, silly as that may sound irl, ive never won a final when saying i was delighted they won the semi

I say delighted/sensational after any big win semis, group stages or agains the lowest clubs in the league. It makes not difference at all in my experiences anyway.

I think it's because you are a HONEST lad who doesn't cheat. I bet lot of folks who posted how many CL they won in a row when being in ur situation, lost in the FINAL, they just simply quit the match and start it again.

I know I would. It's a temptation i can't resist. only that I never gloat about how many Cups I won. so two thumbs up to you. i believe when the day comes u finally win a CL final, it would taste much sweeter for you! cos you EARN it.

Every year, every bloody year some aberration knocks me out of the Champions League and I can't do anything about it. I just put it down to bad luck the first three times I lost in the final.

Then came the huge shootout vs AC Milan. After Gerrard won a 'dubious decision' to award a penalty.

Dominating against Arsenal until a bizarre keeper error let Arsenal score and thier keeper was quite the opposite

Next year, we go out on away goals thanks to a corner and free kick in the semi final vs AC Milan, it was 17-5 for shots over 2 legs, 3-0 for clear cut chances and it ended a 50+ game unbeaten run.

Then, possibly the worst was us cruising against Liverpool until Vela decided to elbow Mascherano for no reason when going for a high ball. We held out until Torres shattered us with two late goals.

Finally, this year we've crashed out in the semis against Arsenal, drawing 3-3 against them at home, despite 3 clear cut chances to nil, with Valdes letting a very slow backpass trickle into the net the main thing that infuriated me. Away from home, we lost 2-0, with 15 shots to their 4. Clear cut chances over 2 legs was 5-0 to us! And we lost 5-3! Total hell!

fail17-2.jpg

This game HATES me.

Keep us updated every season when it comes to teh Champions League, would be fun to read

To be honest, I am very suprise dhe lost to Real Madrid, I always manage to defeat them without a worry in the world in the knockout stages. HOWEVER, Inter & Arsenal always have very very strong squads and always perform well in the Champions League.

Also, I am very suprised AC Milan have won it 3 times recently, usually they are ousted early on in the knockout phase also. Well, in my saved game anyway

in 5 years ive played in 8 finals. and lost only 1 , having momentum helps , resting your top players the game before the final is wrong in my book. play em , keep the moral high and try something different in your teamtalks as there has gotta be something your saying wrong :(

I think managing to get into consecutive finals is an achievment in its own but like most people who have posted i'd say its down to being unlucky or maybe down to the form of the players you have in your starting line up?

No it's definitely his team talks.

I'd say he has a squad where roughly half his team have very high Pressure attributes and the other half have very low Pressure attributes.

So no matter what he says for his team talks half the team bottles it - they're either feeling too much pressure or not enough.

I won the champions league with birmingham in my first attempt.

Hope this helps! :D

On a serious note, that is even more unlucky than me losing the title to man utd after being unbeaten all season!

Dont think theres much you can do about that apart from maybe team talks.

Out of interest, did you have the same players in every final? who was it?

If so, maybe there just not quite good enough.

If a player messes up in a high pressure game for me, i take note for future high pressure games.

• 9 months later...

I forgot I made this thread until very recently. Took a long break from FM09 to manage England on FM10 but got back to it in the end.

lolverpool.jpg?t=1271012161

YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!

A great game for captain Gebhardt as he atones for giving away a silly penalty early on by crashing a header in off the bar. A Scotsman scoring early for both sides too.

Oh, and this was probably the most even game I've had in a CL final, we deserved to win the other, this one was won by a slim margin.

Archived