FIFA changes rules regarding swithing nationality

Scroll to the bottom and read the final three paragraphs.

What this means essentually is that players have to play for five years in a country before they can play for them. So, a player can claim nationality for any country with >5 years to gain a passport, but can't play for the national team unless they've spent five years playing there.

What this means in terms of FM is that players will probably need 'other nationalities' and 'elligable to play for' as seperate things, until they gain a senior cap, in which case the second is no longer required.

Scroll to the bottom and read the final three paragraphs.

What this means essentually is that players have to play for five years in a country before they can play for them. So, a player can claim nationality for any country with >5 years to gain a passport, but can't play for the national team unless they've spent five years playing there.

What this means in terms of FM is that players will probably need 'other nationalities' and 'elligable to play for' as seperate things, until they gain a senior cap, in which case the second is no longer required.

Forgot to add...

Fisrtly that this will hopefully mean that instead of getting foreign newgens who just happen to have your local nationality as a second, that we could now get the vast majority with your local nationality with the additional countries as 'ellegable to play for'. Because as we all know a large number of people are desceneded from immigrants, but don't actually have those nationalities as their own.

Secondly I hope this could see players finally gaiing a British passport rather then an English, Scotish, etc one. I know this has been gone over a thousand times and never fixed, but as things will have to change it's about time it was fixed. It's been about four years people have moaned about it after all icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Unrealgod:

you have got the wrong end of the stick here it means teams will have to have at least 6 british players in each team . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mate you have! Its at the very bottom of the page!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andysharkey21:

i know what you mean. it would mean some one like insua, an argentine at liverpool, who always ends up playing for spain in my game due to having it as 2nd nationality wont be able to unless he went and played there for 5 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is an awful idea. Football should go down the same route as cricket, or Eurovision.

In basic terms, that means if a country wants a player to play for them, and the player wants to represent that country, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

All this'll mean is that more talented players from countries with a larger pool of talent will lose out on being able to showcase their ability on the world stage; while poorer countries stay poor, and might not be able to get a good player who is eligable to play for them, because he is too good for their league.

icon_confused.gif

At the current rate, FIFA are going to ruin football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andysharkey21:

i know what you mean. it would mean some one like insua, an argentine at liverpool, who always ends up playing for spain in my game due to having it as 2nd nationality wont be able to unless he went and played there for 5 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is an awful idea. Football should go down the same route as cricket, or Eurovision.

In basic terms, that means if a country wants a player to play for them, and the player wants to represent that country, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

All this'll mean is that more talented players from countries with a larger pool of talent will lose out on being able to showcase their ability on the world stage; while poorer countries stay poor, and might not be able to get a good player who is eligible to play for them, because he is too good for their league.

icon_confused.gif

At the current rate, FIFA are going to ruin football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hershie:

All this'll mean is that more talented players from countries with a larger pool of talent will lose out on being able to showcase their ability on the world stage; while poorer countries stay poor, and might not be able to get a good player who is eligable to play for them, because he is too good for their league.

icon_confused.gif

At the current rate, FIFA are going to ruin football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was starting to wonder whether Blatter had the best interests of the beautiful game in mind when coming up with these latest ramblings for 'improvements'. icon13.gificon_rolleyes.gif

i think they are doing so that the not so good countries put more effort into developing youth players rather than just giving a passport to a foreigner and letting them play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do though, and so do the better ones.

What's the point in developing the better ones though, if when they are then great players, eligible to go and help other countries as they can't get into their own team, and in turn could improve world football as a whole, they aren't allowed to.

You'll end up with a few nations of good footballers in depth, with many easily good enough to, and willing to, represent other counties, but they'll then get disgruntled at not being allowed to, and so in the long run, the game will suffer, as the highest level, ie the international game, becomes a more exclusive commodity.

A player in 10 years could be better than any player to have played for their nation to date, but by that time they won't be able to get into the team, and even if they can represent another country now, they can't then.

Not very fair, is it?

i think they are doing so that the not so good countries put more effort into developing youth players rather than just giving a passport to a foreigner and letting them play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is only partly true. I think the idea is 25% to improve international teams but 75% to stop the richest leagues snapping up the best talent. Italy and/or England have had Champions League finalists for the past 4 years, and Spain wasn't far behind a couple of years ago. Perhaps this would even out league reputation too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

This is only partly true. I think the idea is 25% to improve international teams but 75% to stop the richest leagues snapping up the best talent. Italy and/or England have had Champions League finalists for the past 4 years, and Spain wasn't far behind a couple of years ago. Perhaps this would even out league reputation too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FIFA are going too far. They're delving into economics, which they appear to have next to no idea about. They seem to be almost communist in their ideology.

The fact is, has been for 1000s of years, and always will be, that money talks. Very rarely can you successfully interfere to stop the wealth gap increasing. Governments for 100s of years have failed in such matters, why does what is basically a group of ex-footballers, some with degrees admittedly, think they can succeed in such matters?

Geldof, Sting, Bono, Blatter.

Archived