I've struggled to balance my club and national team jobs...

Back in FM05 I managed Chelsea for many seasons. During my spell in charge I managed Nigeria, Portugal, Brazil and Argentina, with relative success with all of them except Argentina.

In FM09, managing Man City, I was offered the Portugal job. In another save I had been playing as Scotland and knew that international management was more in-depth and time consuming thatn on previous versions. I had a think about and since I had done well with Portugal in the past, decided to take the job.

I've done well with Man Ciy, but with Portugal, I was terrible. Drew 1-1 with Albania in my first World Cup Qualifier then got beat off of my beloved Scotland in the second game. Then I drew with Norway. Not going well.

However, I managed to wint he rest of the games and ended up first in the group. A lot of luck invovled.

World Cup comes along and I go out in the group stages, failing to win a game. Uragay scored in 80 misn to draw level at 1-1, in a game where a win would have put me through. Gutted, I decided to resign, but was beaten to it as I fot the Bernie Mac as soon as the game was over.

Oddly enough, a month later, Argentina came calling. Despite my poor effort with Portugal I decided to take the job on the basis that I have a few Argentinians in my squad and I also felt I had unfinsihed business with them.

My luck was on the up. Won every friendly game quite easily and everything was clicking into place. However, at Man City, I went out of the Leeague Cup on away goals (after extra time as discussed in another thread!!!), out of the Champions League Semi-Final to Valencia on away goals, out of the FA Cup Semi-Final to Arsenal and then lost the league on the last game of the season (although it was out of mu hands).

I wanted pre-season to do a bit of a rebuilding job, move a few ageing players on and bring in a big name. But the Copa America (is that what it's called) was in July and I just couldn't face it. So I resigned. I felt bad becuase I was enjoying it but I think it took my focus off of my club and I think I was lucky to avoid the sack, despite my previous great success.

So, as it stands I've sold a few oldies and moved a few younsgster out as they haven't lived up to their promise. Haven't brought anyone in yet but it's still early August. I'll see how it goes but I'm dreading being offered another national team job in case the temptation to take it is too much! Argentina asked me back but I refused.

I feel the problem is there isn't enough of a link between club and international football. If you don't manage a national team you wouldn't even get to know who wins the world cup unles you attend it and pay attention to the results. I'd like to see more news items about these things.

That's my twopence.

Anyone else had similar feling sof international football?

Funnily enough I was gonna ask about International management.

In all my years playing FM ive never been offered an international job :(

Can you tell me exactly what it is that makes doing both (club/country) more difficult?

To be honest, it isn't that hard if you have plenty time to play the game. Unfortunately, I am now 24 years old with a full time job and family. I don't have the time to play the game as much as I did a few years ago. If I did I would have found the club/international balance a lot easier.

International management is fun and rewarding but I felt a bit overwhelmed having to track players form and fitness as well as managed a club. It's even harder if it's not a European country because like a lot of people, I know more about European football than SOuth American. I suppose the game reflects real life. I doubt IRL a manger could balace to jobs I had. Certainly if Guus Hiddink hadstayed at CHelsea, he would probably have quit Russia.

Its unrealistic i think Si should drop this feature... if you take an international job you should have to leave your club position.

I wouldn't say I disagree with you however there is a precedent, albeit for a short period.

But certainly I think if you take on an international job your club should have some say in it. And I think, more often than not, they wouldn't want you doing it. Stuart Pearce managed Man Ciy and England U21's for a spell and I remeber a lot of question marks were raised about this appointment.

I my FM example, I resigned partly because if it were real life, Man City would have questioned my commitment to the club.

Another thing which shouldbe taken into account is the travel. Players on international duty can miss club games because they are travelling and this should apply to managers as well.

Another thing which shouldbe taken into account is the travel. Players on international duty can miss club games because they are travelling and this should apply to managers as well.

This is something I agree with....I've managed an African Cup of Nations game on the SAME DAY as a Championship game, and I didn't even get a thank you for being a time-traveller of Dr Who caliber!

Archived