Board for FM careers...poll.

Would you like to see a new careers sub forum?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a new careers sub forum?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

Following on from my thread regarding a sub forum for people to post their FM careers and after much discussion about it, i think it would be a good idea to see just how many people are in favour of this idea...or not. Personally i think it would be a great addition to the SI forums. So, have your say...

Yes

No

Not bothered

I'm also a journeyman when playing my saves and start off with the intention of continuing my career for many years. It was suggested to me a while back to post my career in the GPTG forum but there is no thread for players like you or i. Plus, it would be just the same as the FM09 career thread in which everybody posts in one thread (except it would be specific team threads), making it difficult to read, post and generally follow. I, personally, don't understand how something that would turn out to be a very good forum hasn't been considered before. Every other FM dedicated site i've visited has their own 'FM Diary'. I am astonished that SI don't have their own.

Aye, seeing the LLM have there own forum, i would like it to be based on that idea. Maybe with a better atmosphere. But a Career forum surely is a must seeing as career saves dont fit into any of the current sub forums.

I also know that when the LLM sub was set up, hardly any people originally played to that style.

Surely we shouldnt be left out.

Also in regard to the Mod who pointed us to a "thread" of careers. Surely a sub-forum is better than being in CSE. Hardly anybody would think to look in "challenges, Sign-ups & Experiments" for a Updated Thread on a persons career.

I certainly didnt know it was there untill being pointed to it.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=124641

The whole discussion about this idea is in the above thread if you want a read.

Like you say, LLM and FMS have their own forums, albeit if they have their own strict rules which have to be adhered to. What astoundes me is the fact that there is no facility (or practical facility should i say) for the most popular of FM gameplay - people playing to their own rules. The FM09 update thread is no good for the regular player who wishes to post their career progression for reasons previously stated. I couldn't see 1 threadcatering for the whole LLM so why should 1 thread cater for, like i say, the most popular of FM gameplay - no rules?

Exactly. A Sub-forum in the mold of

LLM would be perfect for us career folk.

Maybe we should start a Thread for LLM's and see if they choose there forum over the thread?

Aye i read the post and was interested in what was being said especially by the mods.

Maybe we should start a Thread for LLM's and see if they choose their forum over the thread?

True. It wouldn't take long for them to realise that it just isn't sufficient for the needs. I am not for one minute 'having a go' at LLM. They have a specific way they play their games which is fair enough. I'm (we) are just trying to indicicate that 1 thread doesn't suffice for people wanting to post their 'normal' career. There has got to be equality and common sense somewhere?

oh god yeah im not having a go at LLM's. Each to there own. But its the case of fairness and common sense as you said. The LLM's got a forum specifically for them. So surely why cant we get one for our style of playing.

(Not Havving a go at LLM just using them as a case & point.)

oh god yeah im not having a go at LLM's. Each to there own. But its the case of fairness and common sense as you said. The LLM's got a forum specifically for them. So surely why cant we get one for our style of playing.

(Not Havving a go at LLM just using them as a case & point.)

I agree, if they have a place to post what they have done, even if it is after 10 seasons. So should people who don't play LLM :D

Exactly we have different styles of play than the GD, CSE ,Good Players Forum etc. But we dont fit into any oof them. Surely its common sense that we should have somewhere to go.

I don't even think it's a case of 'somewhere for us to post' if you know what i mean (us being a minority). I think the majority of FM 'ers play to their own rules and to have somewhere like LLM that cater's for the minority and no where for the majority is just ludicrous imo. I've ventured around most dedicated FM sites recently and all have forums/sub forums for the regular fm 'er to post their progression...the only exception being this site. Why don't i go to another site then? Well, i have (i shouldn't have to) but what makes this site different to others is the community. There tends to be more of a community here with people willing to talk, help etc.

In all fairness i dont think we are a majority, i think most users play for a max of 5 seasons then have another save. But im sure proper career saves in excess of 15 years/season, should have a subforum.

The new sub forum which i proposed wasn't just for long term career saves, although i'd enjoy reading more about long term saves. It was proposed as a place for people to post updates (seasonal intervals)about their progression no matter how long. People did suggest a minimum season rule (myself included) but people didn't like that idea, so the idea was that it could cater for everbody, with people who posted once who never returned not mattering as their thread would soon drop down the page. In this instance then it would be considered as a place for ALL fm 'ers to post.

Oh i see where your coming from. Yeah thats a good idea, as people who arnt commited will just drop off the page. Raware For President of Careers Forum.

Yes that's a really good part to add. The whole posting after 10 seasons in the LLM is ok, but maybe people might achieve something really good in 5 seasons and what to post it then, so by having this will help.

Raware For President of Careers Forum.

Ha ha, not at all. I just want somewhere for fm 'ers to post our careers.

I know people are entitled to their own opinion but i'm surprised that people are voting no. Could i ask for someone who voted no to explain to me why they don't want a new sub forum?

Ok, 67.5% so far are in favour of it. As well as the above question i posed (i'd still like to know why people voted no) i'd like to ask another question. Currently there is a thread for people to post their careers in which has been linked in this thread. As dafuge suggested in another thread, it can be used in the meantime until/if a new sub forum is created. So, if there is already a thread why don't people post in there at the minute?

Sorry to ask the question again but for the 70.59% of people who posted in favour of this new forum, it seems that in order to get the extra push we need in order to put our case forward as to why we should have a new forum, we need to go on record stating why. Simply having figures showing the desire for a new forum won't be enough. There is currently a place for people to post their careers in and until we understand why people don't use that place or don't want that place then that current thread will be deemed as sufficient for the needs of people. So, why aren't people using the current thread which is available? How many people who voted in favour of this idea are currently posting in that thread?

Until we know these answers then i'm afraid i think we'll never get the sub forum. LLM got their forum because they put a case forward which explained why a forum would be better than a thread for their purposes. I think putting a similar case forward will prove that SI forums need a careers sub forum.

I think the reason most people aren't using the Career thread is either that they rarely use the CSE forum, they'd like to post there career in a single thread because they think their updates would get lost in just the one thread or they don't know about it.

ive just voted yes. i like the idea of reading about someone elses long term game from the start to where they are now.

i'd make my own thread for others to read too. i'm just about to embark on a journeyman career where i plan to resign from a job after 1 successful season i.e winning a trophy or getting promoted. if it turns into a long term save i think it'd make for an interesting read.

this would be a fantastic idea, would love to have somewhere i can brag about my game without being limited to only talking about Liverpool (teams forum) or not mentioning the name of my new super-star striker (LLM).

big thumbs up from me.

So when will this all be decided upon ? 81 people said yes, even if 20 people of these 81 posted their short story updates, it would make for a fantastic sub forum. Of course from these 20 posting, more would follow after building their confidence up from readign these stories

So when will this all be decided upon ? 81 people said yes, even if 20 people of these 81 posted their short story updates, it would make for a fantastic sub forum. Of course from these 20 posting, more would follow after building their confidence up from readign these stories

I'm not sure when/if it will be decided upon. It is obvious from the figures and responses in this thread and the original thread that people clearly want a place to post their stories. Despite the encouraging numbers who have voted in favour of this forum/sub forum, i can't help but to surrender my hopes that a new place for people to post their career stories won't be be created. It seems that due to people wanting a careers forum yet not posting in the fm09 thread in the CSE forum, it is deemed as not required and the fm09 thread will suffice. :(

I voted no, I suppose this could be a good idea if there was a strong enough demand for it, but you just have to look at the recent activity in the FM09 career thread to see that this is not the the case.

It is all very well people coming in here and voting yes but I would be interested to know how many would actually use such a forum.

You may claim that the FM09 career thread may not be as active as it could be because it is in the CSE forum but there are a significant number of active and successful threads in the CSE forum.

I'm sorry but I don't see this happening and I don't really see that much need for it.

I voted yes, and I think I made my point of view clear in the original thread so I'll say no more on that.

To be honest I can't see anything coming from this because of the lack of activity in the careers thread. As for why I don't post there, well I don't have a FM09 save running at the moment and never had a FM09 save worth mentioning. I'd prefer a new forum over anything but I suppose the careers thread in CSE is the next best thing.

I think the best idea would be to give the forum a trial run for a month or two. Since we aren't likely to get that many seasons done in that period, maybe encourage people to update every five games or so. Keep the moderation fairly lenient during the trial, but set up an FMC feedback thread, where you can mention any issues you have with the running of the forum. Maybe set up a community thread like the one in FMS. If it catches on, keep it. If not, the forget about it.

Only after the trial run should decisions on the running and layout of the forum should be made, if permission is given for a trial run that is.

I voted no, I suppose this could be a good idea if there was a strong enough demand for it, but you just have to look at the recent activity in the FM09 career thread to see that this is not the the case.

It is all very well people coming in here and voting yes but I would be interested to know how many would actually use such a forum.

You may claim that the FM09 career thread may not be as active as it could be because it is in the CSE forum but there are a significant number of active and successful threads in the CSE forum.

I'm sorry but I don't see this happening and I don't really see that much need for it.

You have to ask yourself why is there a contradiction? Yes, the FM09 career thread is seldom used lately but figures in this thread/poll suggest something different. Why would people vote yes to using a new sub forum yet not post in the relevant thread? The only conclusion is that the FM09 thread isn't practical for people, hence the lack of people posting in there.

Figures in this thread and my previous thread clearly suggest people (two thirds of people in fact) would like a new forum yet refuse to post in the FM09 thread. Again, why? Why do people want something if they're not using a facility already put in place for them? Again, the only conclusion...the FM09 thread isn't practical or what is wanted. It's all good providing somewhere for people to post their career's but if it's not in the format people want i.e. a career's forum where they can post about their own career in their own thread then people aren't going to use it.

So if we were to create this 'sub-forum' what would it be entitled to make people realise exactly what it caters for?

As Gauvner said...exactly what it says on the tin. People know what LLM and CSE are.

I think the best idea would be to give the forum a trial run for a month or two. Since we aren't likely to get that many seasons done in that period, maybe encourage people to update every five games or so. Keep the moderation fairly lenient during the trial, but set up an FMC feedback thread, where you can mention any issues you have with the running of the forum. Maybe set up a community thread like the one in FMS. If it catches on, keep it. If not, the forget about it.

Only after the trial run should decisions on the running and layout of the forum should be made, if permission is given for a trial run that is.

Probably the best idea just to determine if it will be worth while creating such a forum.

Would be good to have something like this, at the moment there is LLM but its highly elitist and snobbish - i'd like to post about an LLM file i'm doing at the moment, along with other files, but not in that forum

You have to ask yourself why is there a contradiction? Yes, the FM09 career thread is seldom used lately but figures in this thread/poll suggest something different. Why would people vote yes to using a new sub forum yet not post in the relevant thread? The only conclusion is that the FM09 thread isn't practical for people, hence the lack of people posting in there.

Figures in this thread and my previous thread clearly suggest people (two thirds of people in fact) would like a new forum yet refuse to post in the FM09 thread. Again, why? Why do people want something if they're not using a facility already put in place for them? Again, the only conclusion...the FM09 thread isn't practical or what is wanted. It's all good providing somewhere for people to post their career's but if it's not in the format people want i.e. a career's forum where they can post about their own career in their own thread then people aren't going to use it.

Through reading through this poll and the previous thread I have begun to see the reasons behind the inactivity in the career thread. With that in mind I believe giving such a sub-forum a trial run would probably be the best idea. If the forum is then successful and popular then fair enough I was wrong with my initial judgement.

I suppose another concern is that the forum will just turn into a place where people post stuff like 'look at this, look how good I am at this game.' Which I am guessing is not what you want. A forum where people post in depth about their careers could probably actually be a good idea and I would always be interested in taking a look, but you just don't want it to turn into some bragging forum.

Through reading through this poll and the previous thread I have begun to see the reasons behind the inactivity in the career thread. With that in mind I believe giving such a sub-forum a trial run would probably be the best idea. If the forum is then successful and popular then fair enough I was wrong with my initial judgement.

I suppose another concern is that the forum will just turn into a place where people post stuff like 'look at this, look how good I am at this game.' Which I am guessing is not what you want. A forum where people post in depth about their careers could probably actually be a good idea and I would always be interested in taking a look, but you just don't want it to turn into some bragging forum.

It is something that has been discussed in some detail in the previous thread and that is the general consensus amongst the people who posted in there. People have posted their ideas of what 'rules' they'd like to see implemented in the sub forum with most people agreeing on the final decisions. People have said they wouldn't want the new sub forum to become too elitist but of course some modding would be required to stop these kind of posts.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, SI's forums are the only FM dedicated site that doesn't offer this facility, every other FM dedicated site does. From those forums they have turned out to be great read's and i feel that this addition to the SI boards would benefit both SI and SI members. Unfortunately, as popular as this idea has become it seems that it will not get the go ahead. With no word from SI and mod's consistently offering the FM09 thread as a solution (which has been proven in this thread and the previous thread that it doesn't suffice) i can only come to this assumption :(

Archived