Activation Worth it ?

Is Acticvation Worth the hassle  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Is Acticvation Worth the hassle

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

Can I have punctuation with that please?

And activation is, in theory, a good thing. Not sure about the install limit, but only due to hardware failure etc. But, as you're buying a digital license, rather than the game, I guess it's only right.

I think activation is a good thing,but i'm sure there will be a few hiccups like last years,as long as they leave out the "o" and "i" (and 0-1's) i don't wanna go through all that malarke again.

I agree that's a bit of a daft thing, but I didn't have any problem with it. They do look different, and a simple bit of common knowledge (ie. o's being more rounded, and 1's having flicks) should surely make it easy enough.

Suppose it couldn't hurt to remove them though.

Tbh its a bit unfair for thoese who dont have a internet connection and want to play the game and tbh i know about 12-15 people in my town who have cracks for it. while i was trying to get the activation to work they were all playing the game for free with an extra 20£ in there pockey i dont see why i would have to go through more trouble than the piracy users

Tbh its a bit unfair for thoese who dont have a internet connection and want to play the game and tbh i know about 12-15 people in my town who have cracks for it. while i was trying to get the activation to work they were all playing the game for free with an extra 20£ in there pockey i dont see why i would have to go through more trouble than the piracy users

I'd feel immoral and dirty using a 'crack'.

There's the phone line for non-internet connection, but admittedly it's not ideal. However, particularly with governments investing in providing broadband for all, in one form or another, and with the vast vast majority of gamers having access, it's not really a major cause for address.

well my friend doesnt have internet acesses so =/ and at times i didnt purley cause of cable troubles and tbh the phone line activation was murder

What's wrong with the phoneline? I can't imagine it's bad apart from when you'd expect it to be busy (new game, new patch).

well my friend doesnt have internet acesses so =/ and at times i didnt purley cause of cable troubles and tbh the phone line activation was murder

There are planty of ways to get access to the internet. Library, cafe's and more. Its a poor excuse really.

You should have named the thread "Activation, worth it? No 'cos i cant do it so it shouldn't be part of it plus i can get cracks anyway" :D

Yes, even though I had trouble activating on release day. I like that you don't have to have your disk in the CD drive at all times.

There are planty of ways to get access to the internet. Library, cafe's and more. Its a poor excuse really.

If you have a desktop you won't be able to activate at any of the places you mentioned.

When it works it is less hassle than putting the DVD in, when it doesn't work you wish for the old system of being able to use the DVD.

On release day I had the DVD in the drive ready to play but the servers were down, so I couldn't play and was wishing for the old system, after the game was activated I'm glad I dodn't need to bother reaching for the case for the DVD each time I want to play. (or take the DVD out when I want to watch a DVD or use my DVD Drive as was the case for FM08).

Yes, even though I had trouble activating on release day. I like that you don't have to have your disk in the CD drive at all times.

I agree. I wish 07 had DRM :( In fact DRM was the best feature introduced with 09 IMO.

The phone is free, but inputting all those codes is such hard work.

I would prefer just to have it the old way :) Too much of a hassle in my opinion. At the end the "damage" it does to pirates isnt that big...

About you guys mentioning bout the phone activation.... my copy (holland) does not have that at all, so if you live over here, you need to have internet...

I just hope they don't go 100% steam like sega did with Empire Total War......

I spent $50aust to activate FM 2009 with my mobile and made another twenty calls on the toll free number before achieving activation, this expense on top of payong $84aust for a legtamate copy of the CD from the local gaming store. I love the game but I will not be putting myself through the stress and frustration and expense with FM 2010 with all the b*llsh*t that goes with activation. I understand that piracy is a problem but hackers and crackers will always find a way around activation problems. I think the answer may be to catch them and punish them heavily through the justice system rather than create nightmares for people who obtain the game legitamately.

I think if it was implemented right ie no mistypes on the codes etc its worth it in the end, simply because you dont need to put the disc in when you want to play whichis so much less hassle as you can play anywhere you take your lappie!!

You can't stop illegal copies, I wish SI would think about us and not dead presidents (and the equivalent of that in pounds & euros haha).

Personally I didn't have a problem with activation (Steam), I didn't even do anything, saw my serial once or twice and that was by accident :D

When it works it is less hassle than putting the DVD in, when it doesn't work you wish for the old system of being able to use the DVD.

On release day I had the DVD in the drive ready to play but the servers were down, so I couldn't play and was wishing for the old system, after the game was activated I'm glad I dodn't need to bother reaching for the case for the DVD each time I want to play. (or take the DVD out when I want to watch a DVD or use my DVD Drive as was the case for FM08).

Is that just the benefit from using Steam then or is it true for everyone? I'm sure on my PC it requires the DVD in for it to play.

EDIT: Oh yes, and as for the activation - I'm all for it, but please distinguish the 0s from the Os; thank you!

I don't support DRM in any way, so since I would like to be able to buy FM10, I hope they ditch it.

They can't patch and their holiday mode doesn't work.

You shouldn't believe everything you're told around here mate. Try googling a bit like I did, and you'll see that the truth is far from what certain SI employees (with a lot of interest in defending the DRM) are telling you.

The pirates use a tiny program that gives them all the information that they would normally get by phone activation. So, they have a fully activated game with all features, and the ability to apply any patch SI might release.

At least with the old system I could have some fun by seeing the pirates come here to ask for new cracks every time a new patch was released...

It's pointless really. All it does is let you have a few extra days of fun. It just makes me step back and admire the sheer brilliance of a person who can produce a crack at such a short notice even when SI or anyone else had virtually the whole release cycle to figure out..

Archived