FM2010 64bits ?

I think that 64bits OS had huge jump with vista 64 and is now almost mainstream .

i think its time to FM to have a 64bits mode because it will have a performance boost hover the 32bits version wen using a 64bits OS

what you guys think»?

its nowhere near mainstream. People avoud vista like the plague and for very good reasons.

there is nothing wrong with vista don't speak nonsense , all important issues were fixed with SP1 and SP2 fixed the rest of them , vista is fine

Most vista hatters don't know wtf their talking about , and the rest don't have a pc that can handle it :rolleyes:

A 64 Bit version would be nice but I wouldn't hold your breath for FM10.

Vista is much more of a system hog than XP, which is why people (including myself) avoid it. The performance difference is more than enough for me to stick with XP.

Vista is much more of a system hog than XP, which is why people (including myself) avoid it. The performance difference is more than enough for me to stick with XP.

yeah its more heavy however i dont notice any difference of speed wen compared with XP

yeah its more heavy however i dont notice any difference of speed wen compared with XP

I only notice the difference when playing games on the highest settings. Vista, I see a lot more lag and on XP I don't see any.

I think that 64bits OS had huge jump with vista 64 and is now almost mainstream .

i think its time to FM to have a 64bits mode because it will have a performance boost hover the 32bits version wen using a 64bits OS

what you guys think»?

I reckon this should have happened for Mac users on Leopard. I absolutely would be delighted if it happened for Snow Leopard.

aim less, the reasons why it is nowhere near mainstream as i mentioned in the very first reply post is that it simply is not supported by games, games in development nor any other mention of future games that would utilise a 64bit operating system. Oh that and the fact that it is very incompatible with a lot of older games, games that people still play and would like to play. I had vista 64bit on my comp and it crashed in recent games and would just not work with older games at all, especially since i was using 64bit graphics drivers. The games industry doesn't seem to be bothered at all by it, why would the general consumer

XP all the way for me and the mass majority and as i said its for many very good reasons. At least its stable and compatible. Of course a switch to 64bit will have to happen soon and i hope it does, but i suppose in doing so they would freeze out quite a large part of any potential market as you say quite a lot of people would have to fork out for a new machine or upgrades just to simply take that step up. So in theory it would only happen gradually, but will happen.

My machine has 8GB of RAM and i know that most of it is being wasted running 32 bit, but i just couldn't use vista with all the problems it has, so im waiting... waiting...

I am using Vista 64 bits and i ran older games fine . i found 2 games that didn't worked , but using DosBox they worked fine , also there titles that work on 64 bits natively

here is list of the one's i know :

Half-Life 2

Lost Coast

Bet On Soldier: Blood Sport

Codename: Panzers (Phase one)

Colin McRae Rally 2005

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Far Cry

Fahrenheit

Shadow Ops: Red Mercury

Unreal Tournament 2004

WWII Tank Commander

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Dreadnought

Crysis

Crysis Warhead

Also Vista 64 is a lot more stable than XP trust me,never had any BSO ( formated my system in January due to change of mother board ) and the programs i use hardly crash , everything is stable

Edit : also most processors are 64 bits , since the first P4 Prescott they are all 64bits so 64bits processors are here way before 64bits OS came

yeah but i mean older games, almost classic ones of any genre. They tend not to work which is a shame. Of course the same can be said of XP but in my experience if it doesnt work on my friends via vista it tends to work on mine.

Speaking of which i thought i would mention this but as a youngin' i had klingon honour guard on a really old pc, talking a 33Mhz beast here or something similar. Anyway tried to play it the other day and it seems that there is no frame limit on the game itself, man its like playing a game in fast forward. You really need skill to play that game now :D

Maybe when 64bits become the majority of customers of the game. Im all for the future and plan to upgrade when i get the money. But i dont agree with the op saying just because him and a minority have 64bits OS that everybody should be dragged to it.

Maybe when 64bits become the majority of customers of the game. Im all for the future and plan to upgrade when i get the money. But i dont agree with the op saying just because him and a minority have 64bits OS that everybody should be dragged to it.

its not a question of being dragged they are perfectly capable of making a 64 bits version its a matter of coding a different exe and some other files .

if you have a 32bits os it will still work it would use 32bits binaries

and minority ? according to a tech site 64bits is almost 52% of vista users , i would call a minority XP64 users

tbh FM doesn't really consume enough memory on it's own (unless you go mental with your league selections at the start of the game) to require a 64 bit compilation. As long as it works with both 32 and 64 bit Windows then I don't see a need to do the extra work.

To address the 32 or 64 bit question, any enthusiast machine should really be 64 bit. When you have graphics cards which have 1gb or 2gb of memory (which use the same address space as 'normal' memory) then 64 bit is definately the way forward.

By and large though it's horses for courses.

People who say this really don't understand why it hogs more resources. It does it so that it can improve the performance of your hardware. If you have any dual core machine with more than 1gb of memory, there is no need to avoid Vista at all.

If you have lots of RAM in an XP machine, then you've wasted money on that extra memory, because it will never be used. At least Vista and 7 use superfetching to cache programs and increase overall response time of the OS.

The 32 bit limit is 4GB for both system and graphics memory and not 2GB. The 64 bit limit is some Terra Bytes of RAM depending on the operating system..

This is wrong.

32 bit can only use 3.25 TOTAL memory. It will recognise 4, but cannot use it.

its not a question of being dragged they are perfectly capable of making a 64 bits version its a matter of coding a different exe and some other files .

if you have a 32bits os it will still work it would use 32bits binaries

and minority ? according to a tech site 64bits is almost 52% of vista users , i would call a minority XP64 users

Yes but compare the XP users 64/32 to Vista 64/32 i bet it favours XP.

no one uses XP64 because it has lots of compatability issues, as well as other problems. There are more people using Vista than you think, its only the people with dated hardware and/or people who have fallen from all this "Vista is rubbish" garbage that cling on to XP like their life depends upon it :D

Yes but compare the XP users 64/32 to Vista 64/32 i bet it favours XP.

on 32bits xp wins because of the reasons Wakers mentioned .According to steam hardware survey the difference is 50% users use XP and vista users are 26% however XP lost 3% since the last survey

on 64 bits vista wins with a huge margin According to The steam Survey again 0.42% use XP64 and Vista 64 is 11%

no one uses XP64 because it has lots of compatability issues, as well as other problems. There are more people using Vista than you think, its only the people with dated hardware and/or people who have fallen from all this "Vista is rubbish" garbage that cling on to XP like their life depends upon it

Indeed lol there a lot of people who use vista , steam survey only covers steam users , i will try to find better sources

The vast majority of users will never 'choose' an operating system. They'll get what they're given by their vendor - which is generally the easiest to support from the vendor's point of view.

Do you think PC World are really going to want to be bothered with home users phoning them or bringing machines back to store with compaints about it 'not working' when the problem is actually a 64 bit OS?

I admit Aimless and Wakers that i own Vista32. & i can honestly say i like vista, but i know people cling onto Xp weather its from what you say or what DaveRH said. But FM shouldnt be 64 at least until 2012

The vast majority of users will never 'choose' an operating system. They'll get what they're given by their vendor - which is generally the easiest to support from the vendor's point of view.

Do you think PC World are really going to want to be bothered with home users phoning them or bringing machines back to store with compaints about it 'not working' when the problem is actually a 64 bit OS?

since wen 64bits OS is a problem ?

and why would they call for help, if a system has propers drivers why wouldnt work properly?

ALL processors now are 64bits and all new hardware has 64bits drivers

I admit Aimless and Wakers that i own Vista32. & i can honestly say i like vista, but i know people cling onto Xp weather its from what you say or what DaveRH said. But FM shouldnt be 64 at least until 2012

we will see , has a said 64 bits is a lot more suported now then wen it was with xp64 and its advancing fast maybe we see it sooner who knows

yeah but i mean older games, almost classic ones of any genre. They tend not to work which is a shame. Of course the same can be said of XP but in my experience if it doesnt work on my friends via vista it tends to work on mine.

Speaking of which i thought i would mention this but as a youngin' i had klingon honour guard on a really old pc, talking a 33Mhz beast here or something similar. Anyway tried to play it the other day and it seems that there is no frame limit on the game itself, man its like playing a game in fast forward. You really need skill to play that game now :D

I use a 64bit OS (Win7) and I have these old games installed and playable:

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2

Theme Hospital

Monopoly Tycoon

Sid Meier's Railroads

Max Payne

GTA III

Hitman 3

Microsoft Train Simulator

Worms Armageddon

Resident Evil 4

64bit OS is the future (and it should be the present tbh) - it enables you to use more than the 3.5GB RAM that a 32bit OS allows (everyone with 4GB+ of RAM using a 32bit OS is wasting RAM essentially as it can't be utilised).

More and more apps are becoming 64bit - Mozilla are testing a 64bit version of Firefox, for example, as well as Adobe with Flash and so on. 64bit is the future, 32bit is the past. There are more than enough drivers on 64bit now as well.

That said, I'd be shocked if FM10 was 64bit, but maybe FM11 or FM12 will be.

Old games and not working on new OSs have nothing to do with it being 64bit. Otherwise, there would be issues with running any 32bit program in a 64bit OS..there isn't.

I haven't come across an old game that doesn't work with compatability mode.

Old games and not working on new OSs have nothing to do with it being 64bit. Otherwise, there would be issues with running any 32bit program in a 64bit OS..there isn't.

I haven't come across an old game that doesn't work with compatability mode.

Quite right (for the most part anyway - there are a couple of exceptions of software/games which specifically won't run on 64bit). And just to add to that, none of the games I listed have to be run in compatibility mode. I should just point out that there were two games I couldn't install: Myst & Riven, but I couldn't even install Riven on XP so that's no great surprise (thank God for VMWare and a very, very old Windows 98 disk).

I don't think anyone's saying that FM wouldn't work as a 64 bit program, or can't work in a 64 bit environment (with clever tweaking by the OS).

It's just that it won't bring anything to the product that isn't there already.

I don't think anyone's saying that FM wouldn't work as a 64 bit program, or can't work in a 64 bit environment (with clever tweaking by the OS).

It's just that it won't bring anything to the product that isn't there already.

actually it would bring:

+faster loading times

+more ram usage ( wen you have 4gb of ram low ram isn't a problem )

+faster processing

these are much need improvements wen you select a lot of leagues

actually it would bring:

+faster loading times

+more ram usage ( wen you have 4gb of ram low ram isn't a problem )

+faster processing

It won't do any of those things for the average user. Faster loading times and faster processing are a definate no.

In a heavily multi-tasked environment (so users having a lot of processess running) then it might make a difference, or for a user who fires up every league - but most users don't do that.

yah 32bits have a 2gb use of ram limit ,64bits doesnt
Wiitastic -

How about because I'd like to use 12 gigs of RAM?

why on earth would you want to use 12gb ram ? no game needs anywhere near that much, nor does any machine need that much Ram to run both games and other software at the same time.

Archived