El Aprendiz: Tú eres Despedidos!

Vicente del Bosque has won 2 domestic titles and 2 Champions Leagues. Now, for the first time, he’s on the lookout for an apprentice.

Vicente del Bosque:This is not a game. This is a job interview from hell.

From all corners of the world, 20 people have come to Madrid.

Vicente del Bosque: I don’t care where you come from, whether you started in a council flat, or born with a silver spoon in your mouth. All I’m looking for is someone who’s drop-dead shrewd.

They’re here to compete for a job worth €100,000, with a man famously hard to please.

Vicente del Bosque:No one’s gonna make a fool out of me!

Vicente del Bosque has built up a cabinet of 7 domestic titles. Now, for the first time, he’s on the hunt for an apprentice.

Vicente del Bosque: I think this has been a bloody disaster! And I promise you, amigo, you will be out that door so quick, you wouldn’t know what’s hit you.

To succeed, they’re going to have to play…and win against each other.

It’s the chance of a lifetime.

Vicente del Bosque: You went out and lost me money! You’re fired. You’re fired. You’re a total shambles, you’re fired.

~

Vicente del Bosque welcomes the twenty candidates to the boardroom for their first day in El Aprendiz: Tú eres Despedidos!. Only one can win, and over the next weeks, the Spain manager intends to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Week by week, and task by task, Vicente del Bosque says “You’re fired.”

In their application process, the candidates sent their CVs to the offices of Vicente del Bosque. In these, they specified how long they had been in different employments in the footballing world. It is this that dictates not only their starting club, but their Current Ability and Potential Ability. Their CA is five times their managerial tenure, three times their tenure as an assistant, two times their coaching tenure and one times their playing tenure, for a maximum of 110. Their PA is eight times their managerial tenure, six times their tenure as an assistant, four times their coaching tenure and twice times their playing tenure, for a maximum of 200.

All managers have then been ranked by their CA, and the manager with the highest CA will start off at the lowest club, as dictated by the club’s Predicted Position in the media. In the case of a tie, the manager with the greater amount of total experience has been given the lower rank, and subsequently the worst team. With these clubs, the managers will compete for the one job.

[font=Courier New]  [b]Username           Manager                  CA  PA Club[/b]
 [/font][font=Courier New]pompey13           Pompey13                 38  68 Mallorca
 [/font][font=Courier New]Pau[/font][font=Courier New]lHartman71      Jeremy English           68 120 Numancia
 [/font][font=Courier New]hamilton162        Tom Hamilton             51  94 Recreativo
 [/font][font=Courier New]magvest            Magnus Vestergaard       36  66 Deportivo
 [/font][font=Courier New]Lower Leagu[/font][font=Courier New]es Rule Desmond Tiny             29  58 Sevilla
 [/font][font=Courier New]William Hall       William Hall             31  58 Villarreal
 [/font][font=Courier New]Greasy Chip Butty  Andy McMorton            50  88 Osasuna
 [/font][font=Courier New]m1234566778        Maz Jiminez Fernandez II 15  30 Real Madrid
 [/font][font=Courier New]super_lampard      Super Lampard            49  88 Getafe
 [/font][font=Courier New]greenwhitearmy     Carlos Ferrari           55 100 Sporting
 [/font][font=Courier New]killerlink         Jonathon Robertson       48  86 Betis
 [/font][font=Courier New]~Ian~              Takeshi Morishima        52  96 Valladolid
 [/font][font=Courier New]Tomaldinho         Tomaldinho               43  74 Athletic
 [/font][font=Courier New]Robert_296         Robert Boyle             43  74 Espanyol
 [/font][font=Courier New]haza555            Harry Barker             34  60 Atlético Madrid
 [/font][font=Courier New]joetheref          Joe Tompkins             48  88 Almería
 [/font][font=Courier New]Whoopy D           Whoopy Dee’e             41  72 Racing
 [/font][font=Courier New]Bishydoodah        Andy Bewick              29  52 Barcelona
 [/font][font=Courier New]StewartJRobertson  St[/font][font=Courier New]ewart Robertson        35  60 Valencia
 [/font][font=Courier New]Kenco              Ken Co                   90 160 Málaga[/font]

The managers have then been put into teams according to the rankings of their clubs, so that each team is of a similar strength. Initially called the Yellows and the Reds, the team names will be determined democratically by the teams, and, as candidates are fired, will be reorganised to preserve the seedings.

[font=Courier New][color=#ffcc00]The Yellows                              [/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=red]The Reds[/color][/font][font=Courier New]
 [/font][font=Courier New]Maz Jiminez Fernandez II Real Madrid     Andy Bewick        Barcelona
 [/font][font=Courier New]William Hall             Villarreal      Desmond Tiny       Sevilla
 [/font][font=Courier New]Harry[/font][font=Courier New] Barker             Atlético Madrid St[/font][font=Courier New]ewart Robertson  Valencia
 [/font][font=Courier New]Pompey13                 Mallorca        Magnus Vestergaard Deportivo
 [/font][font=Courier New]Whoopy Dee’e             Racing          Robert Boyle       Espanyol
 [/font][font=Courier New]Joe Tompkins             Almería         Tomaldinho         Athletic
 [/font][font=Courier New]Jonathon Robertson       Betis           Super Lampard      Getafe
 [/font][font=Courier New]Tom Hamilton             Recreativo      Andy McMorton      Osasuna
 [/font][font=Courier New]Takeshi Morishima        Valladolid      Carlos Ferrari     Sporting
 [/font][font=Courier New]Ken Co                   Málaga          Jeremy English     Numancia[/font]

The Schedule

Every Tuesday I will post a task, and I will post its results on the Wednesday. The losing Project Manager selects two or more candidates to take with him into the boardroom, and one of these will be fired on or before the Monday. After the task results on Wednesdays, Vicente del Bosque will ask the losing project manager to bring in two managers with him to the boardroom. As soon as possible, these managers must submit a defence speech, giving reasons why the should not be fired. Once the arguments have been posted, voting begins. If you are unable to make an argument, voting period or otherwise, please tell me in advance. Only the managers on the losing team need to/are able to vote for who will get fired.

The Tasks

Each week, both teams are set a task. Although this is described in real life terms, it relates to a Football Manager objective, which is given alongside. I will simulate the results on Football Manager, and post the results in the report. The scores from each team member are added together, along with the Project Manager’s bonus, to give a total score, which determines the winning team. From the losing team, one person gets fired.

The Project Managers

Each task will have two Project Managers, one for each team. At first, these are selected at random and the list is enacted until everyone remaining has spent time as Project Manager. After this, I choose new Project Managers based on the number of times they have been Project Manager and the recentness of these times. I reserve the right to appoint a Project Manager of my choosing for any given task. This year, the Project Manager plays a more vital role in the team. In the task, the Project Manager scores double points for the team, regardless of the nature of the task, as long as the result is countable.

Notes

• The game will be played using the 9.3.0 database and patch, edited only to include the managers who have joined the sign-up
  • To send me a Private Message (which you will need to do over the course of the sign-up), click on my username with any post and click ‘Send a private message to canvey!!’
  • If your manager is fired in the sign-up, you are not automatically eliminated. However, if your team loses, you will enter the boardroom automatically. You will also no longer contribute to your team’s scoring.
  • Click here to review your sign-up form if you wish. For more information on how the sign-up will be run, including my style of updating, click here for last year's version

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task 0

Vicente del Bosque has called the two teams to the boardroom. This is the first time that the managers have met.

Vicente del Bosque:Good evening, gentlemen.

All: Good evening Mr del Bosque

Vicente del Bosque:I understand that many of you are tired from your journeys here to Madrid today, so I won’t keep you too long. You already know your teams and your new teammates, so I will want you to return to the house in a moment. While you are there, though, you need to think of a team name for your team. You’ll get a message in the morning giving you further instructions on reporting to me. During this process, I have my two assistants; Pepe Grande and Juan Román López Caro. They’ll be my eyes and ears, and trust me, nothing much gets past them. Off you go now, scoot!

The candidates leave the boardroom.

~

The Task: Decide together on a Team Name for your team

The Teams

[font=Courier New][color=#ffcc00]The Yellows                              [/color][/font][font=Courier New][color=red]The Reds[/color][/font][font=Courier New]
 [/font][font=Courier New]Maz Jiminez Fernandez II Real Madrid     Andy Bewick        Barcelona
 [/font][font=Courier New]William Hall             Villarreal      Desmond Tiny       Sevilla
 [/font][font=Courier New]Harry[/font][font=Courier New] Barker             Atlético Madrid St[/font][font=Courier New]ewart Robertson  Valencia
 [/font][font=Courier New]Pompey13                 Mallorca        Magnus Vestergaard Deportivo
 [/font][font=Courier New]Whoopy Dee’e             Racing          Robert Boyle       Espanyol
 [/font][font=Courier New]Joe Tompkins             Almería         Tomaldinho         Athletic
 [/font][font=Courier New]Jonathon Robertson       Betis           Super Lampard      Getafe
 [/font][font=Courier New]Tom Hamilton             Recreativo      Andy McMorton      Osasuna
 [/font][font=Courier New]Takeshi Morishima        Valladolid      Carlos Ferrari     Sporting
 [/font][font=Courier New]Ken Co                   Málaga          Jeremy English     Numancia[/font]

Looks like I got one of the highest PAs and CAs, on the flip side that means I got one of the weaker sides in Valladolid.

I'm terrible at thinking of team names, to the detriment of my pub quiz team, so I'll leave that to someone else to come up with something good.

Edit - I've just looked on Google and the Spanish word for yellow is Amarillo. How about The Amarillo Armada?

w00t Barca!

I think we should be 'los rojos desenfrenados' which translates to The Rampant Reds, or 'los toros rojos' which is The Red Bulls.

Any other ideas on the go Reds??

Im happy to back los toros rojos. I like that!! Any else with us on this reds? Lets get this decided pronto so the sign up can move on!

Just FYI guys in Spanish the adjectives are inverted compare to English and they take the gender of the noun they qualifiy so the team names would be Ejército Rojo for the Reds and Armada Amarilla for the Yellows and not the other way around :)

[/spanish class]

Just FYI guys in Spanish the adjectives are inverted compare to English and they take the gender of the noun they qualifiy so the team names would be Ejército Rojo for the Reds and Armada Amarilla for the Yellows and not the other way around :)

[/spanish class]

Was hoping someone would come along who had a clue about the language, I guessed there'd probably be some change needed due to gender.

Archived