When and How you started your FM addiction?

I started with CM2. Thought it was a regular football PC game when I bought, until realized later it was a management game. As the concept of football "management" game was still rather new at that time, i was a bit disappointed having bought a wrong game. Until.. I gave it a try and play... the rest is history. things no longer be the same for me ever since. I probably lost two ex-gfs because of the game. and i don't think i am alone here.;)

Speaking of CM2, there's one feature i remember fondly - the RADIO commentary. I actually found it quite cool back then. but it was only in CM2, and the feature was taken away ever since. i can still remember one line "he's so strong... he shaked off the defender... he scored!!"

i stilll got the disc. but for some unknown reasons i failed to reinstall it into my PC. anyone knows why? cos the disc itself seems to be fine. after i reinstalled it, the game just can't load.

I started with CM2. Thought it was a regular football PC game when I bought, until realized later it was a management game. As the concept of football "management" game was still rather new at that time, i was a bit disappointed having bought a wrong game. Until.. I gave it a try and play... the rest is history. things no longer be the same for me ever since. I probably lost two ex-gfs because of the game. and i don't think i am alone here.;)

Speaking of CM2, there's one feature i remember fondly - the RADIO commentary. I actually found it quite cool back then. but it was only in CM2, and the feature was taken away ever since. i can still remember one line "he's so strong... he shaked off the defender... he scored!!"

i stilll got the disc. but for some unknown reasons i failed to reinstall it into my PC. anyone knows why? cos the disc itself seems to be fine. after i reinstalled it, the game just can't load.

The newer operating systems may not support it.

I think my addiction started in 96 ish, picked up a copy of whatever it was at the time and was hooked ever since. 96/97 - Mathias Sammer - legend!

My CM/FM addiction started in 1992 when i had just started senior school. I was 11, nearly 12 and my friend told me about this new football game called Championship Manager where i can get to be manager of my favourite team, buy players, sell players, etc. From what he told me it sounded great, so a few days later i bought it, took it round my friends house and we were instantly hooked! I can't really remember much about the first release of the game other than it didn't have real players and that i did quite a bit of detention at school for not doing my homework...(did the teachers not realise how busy i was playing the greatest game ever!?) I've been addicted ever since!

My first game was CM 03/04 byt i honestly dont remember how i got into it. I live in canada, which is the wierd part cuz no one here knows anything about the game or football for that matter, so its really interesting how i stumbled upon the game randomly and ever since, ive been addicted to game nonstop (atleast 'till i lost and get ****ed off at the AI and quit lol)

my first was 03/04, i used to give a few lads in school abuse calling them "sad" for wasting their time playing a ridiculous game, they dared me to get the game, i did...........now my view is i wasted too many years without it!!

I played loads of 97/98, but rather burned out on it, so didn't get any more, until, while browsing through GAME while bored, I came across 06 (this was around the time 07 was released), though "why not?", and the rest is history :p

Bought championship manager in 1992 from doomark and was the best in it's day. Time has passed since then and has changed completely but even so in the old days the game was bugged.

This will be the first time ever i will not be buying Fm10 due to FM09 being sub standard and hardly any improvement over its predecessors and paying the 25.00 for a 3d engine and loads of bugs was insulting and arragorant on SI part.

This will be the first time ever i will not be buying Fm10 due to FM09 being sub standard and hardly any improvement over its predecessors and paying the 25.00 for a 3d engine and loads of bugs was insulting and arragorant on SI part.

Better change the name of your site then...

my first was 03/04, i used to give a few lads in school abuse calling them "sad" for wasting their time playing a ridiculous game, they dared me to get the game, i did...........now my view is i wasted too many years without it!!

:D:D:thup::thup:

as a long time FM supporters, I can see that, over the years, FM seems to slighly heading towards a wrong direction - they been too obsessed on trying to be REAL. as a result this game is becoming too complicated. It's becoming more like a HARD WORK than a GAME.

don't get me wrong, i like it to be real. but i think there should be a BALANCE between being FUN and being REAL.

back in the CM days, i could manage 10 teams at the same time. Cos the whole set up was easy. but today if i try to manage 10 teams at the same time, it will take me hours to finish just one match day. it become virtually impossible. and now i m managing only 2 teams at one go.

i know some ppl don't mind, and they would argue it's ur own decision to play the game or not. true. Problem is - for all of us who actually got a JOB, and need to work, there's enough HARD WORK already in our daily life. And we simply don't have the TIME to spend hours trying to fix all the tactic, training, scouting, or to get a right combination so that we can PLAY.

as a long time FM supporters, I can see that, over the years, FM seems to slighly heading towards a wrong direction - they been too obsessed on trying to be REAL. as a result this game is becoming too complicated. It's becoming more like a HARD WORK than a GAME.

don't get me wrong, i like it to be real. but i think there should be a BALANCE between being FUN and being REAL.

back in the CM days, i could manage 10 teams at the same time. Cos the whole set up was easy. but today if i try to manage 10 teams at the same time, it will take me hours to finish just one match day. it become virtually impossible. and now i m managing only 2 teams at one go.

i know some ppl don't mind, and they would argue it's ur own decision to play the game or not. true. Problem is - for all of us who actually got a JOB, and need to work, there's enough HARD WORK already in our daily life. And we simply don't have the TIME to spend hours trying to fix all the tactic, training, scouting, or to get a right combination so that we can PLAY.

Totally agree with this statement the fun element has gone and the real bit is to in depth and has made the game a chore than a joy and the past 2 editions have been going backwards instead of going forward.

I was first introduced to the world of Chamionship Manager back in 1996 when I went round to my cousins and played CM 96/97 with him and his mate.....from that day on I was hooked. I bought the game for myself, after begging my mum and dad to buy a PC :p. I have bought the new version every year and 13 years on I am still as hooked as I was that day when I had my first CM experience round at my cousins!

I used to go home during lunch when I was at High School and squeeze in a couple of games and I was late back to school sooo many times. Even though I am now 25, I get a long lunch from work on a Friday and I still come home to get my daily fix of FM :thup:

I am a late arriver to Football Manager.

Was bored last summer so went round to my mates house. He says to me "mon we'll go on the computer, I've got this class football managing game." After five minutes of playing it I was like wow! The next day I got my mum to go out and buy me it :)

Oh it was FM08 btw :D

99/00 was the start of my addiction. I never bought it as I didn't even have a PC back then, but used to go over a mate's house after work and at weekends to play it. I didn't see the appeal before I started, but within 2 minutes of clicking around the squad screen I was hooked.

Football Manager 2006. Not sure how I started, just remember putting it in and thinking: "What a waste of money" and then, after a few hours, I was addicted.

No matter how much every game since has frustrated me, I have loved it.

Even FM09? ;)

To extend on my addiction, i think FM (CM when i started) was responsible for me knowing lots and lots of statistics i would never even have thought about, its something i have carried over to my adulthood (now pending middle-aged ness). Im Simon, 27, and im still an FM'oholic.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

A bloke called Kevin Toms invented the original "Football Manager" game, which I played on a Speccy. Since then I was hooked on management games. Followed CM from the very start and FM after the split.

Archived