Cup-tied for league play?

First of all not sure if this is the right place.

Also this is my first save with any football managerial games so i may seem pretty noobish because im so new to the subject. But I just bought Marquinhos as Cruzeiro. His old team was playing in the same league as me, so he is cup tied. I thought players can only be cup tied for knockout cups, not league games? Also if this is not a bug how long will this last? the whole season? thanks and sorry for my noobishness.

Do you have to register a team in Brazil or anything like that? Or is your next game a cup game?

I dont know much about the brazilian leagues so thats all i could think of

Hmm i forget if I had to register a team, i dont think so because ive signed other players during a season and they have been eligible to play, but they werent from another team in the league. and no ive played 2 or 3 league games and he has been cup tied for them and still is.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to add a little something to this. I signed two players in my last transfer window, Anderson Martins for a hefty fee of £5.7 million and Roberto. Doesn't really matter who they are, but both came from other Brazilian teams in the same league as me.

I signed Roberto for left back cover so wasn't too fussed about him. I needed a new centre back and forked out on Anderson Martins. I was wary because of the problem I had with Roberto, couldn't figure out why he was cup tied, but I went ahead anyway.

But, I've also sold players who have featured in the league for me to other teams in the same league as me, and they have featured. I'm actually coming up against a former player, Marinho, in my next match. So I totally baffled as to what the rule is.

baker.simon, it's my understanding that performances in your regional championships lead to qualification for the brazilian cup. It has no reflection on who qualifies for the national league.

I am unsure if Marinho, Roberto or Anderson Martins featured in their regional division (marinho was not yet established for me back then) but if he didn't and the other two did, my guess at the rule would be that no player can appear in two (maybe three if the cup is included) domestic competitions in one season. It's just a guess, there is nothing mentioned about it in the league rules. So please, if somebody has had similar experiences to myself and Wazaflo, please post. And if anybody out there knows the reason for this extremely frustrating 'rule' please explain it.

Now I'm just waiting on Anderson Martins to start complaining about lack of playing time.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_football_league_system

Thats about the league structure, im trying to find something about player registration.

EDIT: Had a mooch about on google and wiki, basically i cant find anything concrete about player registration in Brazil. I have found a few speculative pages that say registration does exist and ends sometime in September. I wonder if, as the league is so split up in Brazil, each federation has a different cut off point for registrations.

I might see if i can phone Tim Vickery on 5live saturday morning about lol.

Tim'll fix it! (See what I did there?)

Might actually fire him off an e-mail and see what he says. It's just really annoyed me that I've been stung so badly. I'm managing Criciuma and Anderson Martins was my first BIIIIIIG money buy, worked hard to get a nice transfer budget, and now I can't use him. While I was in the lower leagues with Criciuma, I didn't come across this problem, but I didn't have the funds to spend so I couldn't tell you if it applies throughout the leagues or not.

I think the proper rule is "The player may not play for a second club in the same season if he has played six or more league matches for a different club".

Source: Brazilian League - Cup Tied?

I don't see it listed in the Rules for the Brazilian First Division; it probably ought to be called out, and perhaps also merits a warning dialog when you make the bid for the player and when you confirm the bid for the player?

Fellas, thanks for all the help, it does make more sense now. But just to make you aware, my transferred player, Marinho (see above post), had played a fair lot of my games before I sold him. The history page says 18 games.

So if that is the rule, then there must be a bug in that only human players are affected by this rule?#

And I agree, there definitely needs to be a warning when bidding for the player. I sure didn't see one.

So if that is the rule, then there must be a bug in that only human players are affected by this rule?#

No bug - I see four AI squads in this situation with a total of eight players in my current save (November, so late in a Brazil season).

And I agree, there definitely needs to be a warning when bidding for the player. I sure didn't see one.

This is really one of the spots I'd like SI to "grow" the game - all of the rules for different leagues are correctly implemented, which is great. One of the joys I (and a lot of players, I'm sure) get out of the game is playing in foreign countries, learning the competitions and their obscure rules.

However, since we don't know the rules, we can often run afoul of them. When making transfers, that can be a huge deal - £10M spent for a player who won't be able to play league matches for the rest of the season, or players brought in in excess of some roster or salary limit, or more foreigners on the roster than we're allowed to register, etc.

Often, the "Rules" section of the competition doesn't detail these (Brazil First Division, for example, doesn't include this rule), or if it does, it doesn't indicate sufficient detail to prevent you from running afoul of them or being massively confused (USA/MLS, for example - its confusing to me, and I'm American!).

I'd love to see it built up in the Rules section - maybe its own "Transfer Rules" tab? - and added as information in the bid, contract offer, and confirm bid screens. It would really add a lot to our understanding of and comfort with foreign rules.

Archived