Has FM increased your football knowledge?

I must say that playing with FM's massive database of players has really increased my football knowledge. Fm has taught me loads of footballers who I would never even heard of if it wasn't for FM. e.g. Keirrison, Marquinhos, Bodgan Stancu, Nicolas Millan......

All these players who are being tipped to go on to bigger and better things now by the worlds press and media and I already knew them because of FM :)

Just wondering if it has increased others footballing knowledge and how?....

Slightly, the only thing I can think of learning from the game is random players historys and competition historys. I dont think hearing of players in the game and hearing of them irl counts as gaining knowlege from the game from my point of view though, because you don't know if theyre actually good until you see/hear of them irl, FM is just a way to say you heard of them first when non-FM players start talking about a player.

(Ive got a mate who will say a players amazing irl when hes only seen him play on FM, so he's kind of gaining false knowledge)

Yes.

The reason i can honestly say this is, i have been playing this game in its various incarnations since 1996, i like many people came across talented youngsters like Saviola, Aimar, Ronaldinho etc back in the day, who went on to become house hold names and the same thing is happening with the latest batch of young players that are coming through the ranks with various clubs in different countries.

The game hasn't just improved my knowledge of players though, its also improved my knowledge of clubs and with the latest games, a little about the clubs histories.

i'd say it helps you learn what type of player someone is (like a pacey striker, or a target man) and what they are good at. especially for those random european teams you only hear about once a year in the champions league group stages.

It's increased my knowledge of tactics and such, but it's increased my knowledge of players in a strange way...

For instance, I've "know" about Jimmy Briand/Lewandowski/Kierrison for years but I don't really know what they look like or how they play in real life.

I'm now a mini-fan of Palermo after having success with them in FM08 and FM07 but yet I don't even know what their stadium looks like... Don't even think I've seen them play on TV!

For instance, I watched the USA - Italy game last night and I was rather surprised how big Chiellini's nose was... Paid £110m for him with Man City, yet I didn't know he was bald with a ridiculously large nose :p

Yes with players and teams. Many a time I've seen in world soccer or 442 features on promising young players I've already known in FM, like Anderson (06), Nani and Bojan (07), Barazite (08 but also playing for me now on 09), Mevlut Erdinc and Gojko Kacar in this game... As for teams not so much now as now reputation can be set I'm not finding myself mostly with obscure lower-league teams in other countries as I was in 05 and 06 but I had heard of quite a few more teams though aside from a few I managed I don't really remember now. Know of a few more teams from other countries mostly (especially Turkey for some reason though I only ever managed there briefly on 05), and I guess I know of the teams at BSS/N level. When Havant had their cup run there was a pub quiz question on who their sponsors were which I knew from FM, however as it was the same as liverpool my teammates assumed it was a one-off in homage (or something) and stupidly assumed it was a trick question and they didn't have one so I was stupidly overuled.

It has increased mine no end. In fact I would have to say that most of my football knowledge outside of Scotland has come from the CM/FM games!

(In a whisper) I actually won a radio quiz by having FM on in front of me so I could use it as a historical research tool! I won £1000!

I think the effect is often exaggerated. While I first heard about Robben and C. Ronaldo through FM/CM and they have gone on to big things. But for every one of them there's a dozen other players the FM community raves about that turn out to be average or just plain rubbish IRL (Saviola anyone?).

I probably know more about foreign leagues now than I did before, but FM isn't really a great way of finding out about new young players IRL.

It has, but it's also given me some bad habits, Like watching a European game in a pub, and a name will be mentioned that my mates have never heard of, I'll say "I know him, he's a good attacking midfielder right left centre who used to play for Leverkusen".

It has, but it's also given me some bad habits, Like watching a European game in a pub, and a name will be mentioned that my mates have never heard of, I'll say "I know him, he's a good attacking midfielder right left centre who used to play for Leverkusen".

:D That just reminds me of the other day when Nilmar scored for Brazil against Paraguay, my friends were saying who's he and i was just laughing to myself as I know the player off FM.

(In a whisper) I actually won a radio quiz by having FM on in front of me so I could use it as a historical research tool! I won £1000!

That is awesome

I think you should have put the money towards a new computer, just for FM. It'll pay for itself with a few more competitions

a definite yes. i have been playing it since i was 10 (cm2) and it has definitely increased my football knowledge. i would be considered, among my friends, to have the best football knowledge...of course none of them play FM

I think the effect is often exaggerated. While I first heard about Robben and C. Ronaldo through FM/CM and they have gone on to big things. But for every one of them there's a dozen other players the FM community raves about that turn out to be average or just plain rubbish IRL (Saviola anyone?).

I probably know more about foreign leagues now than I did before, but FM isn't really a great way of finding out about new young players IRL.

Everybody raved about Saviola not only the CM community he was a legit star for River Plate at 16 and part of the River Plate´s Fantastic 4 (Saviola, Aimar, Ortega and Juan Pablo Angel)... He was ruined as a player because of Barcelona´s training (they make him train intensively in building muscle since they were afraid of him getting injured in the rougher game of la liga but building muscle resulted in him losing agility and speed which is what made him great in the first place.

Archived