Making FM Faster?????

1. Yes

If on Windows, you should see an icon for it in the taskbar (status box, bottom right). You can right click on that and select Exit or Quit or something along those lines. You can also open Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Del), select processes, find the Norton process and click End Process.

2. If by that you mean a paging file (hard drive space used as RAM), then yes, but not significantly. If you're using Windows Vista, you can use ReadyBoost which takes space from a Flash USB Drive as RAM, that is alot faster. Or you could by some more RAM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is no option to exit Norton, that is weird. Thanks for your help though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should still be able to stop it using the task manager method that canvey suggested. Out of interest how much ram do you have? The easiest way to speed up fm is to increase ram I think. A fast processor and hard drive also help.

I had huge problems with MacAfee on my 1Gb machine. FM slowed to a crawl. Got a new machine now, which is the best option. If you can't do that, I'm sure there are settings within Norton to turnoff background activity and reschedule scans etc.

For minor improvements turn off the photographs in FM settings, as the regen pics eat memory. And set the procssing to "least responsive". Might help a bit.

Norton is a massive system hog so turning it off should be good. Just do the end task method through task manager.

Like others have said, what are you computers specs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

1. Will turing off Norton Protection Centre make fm faster?

If so how do you turn it off?

2. If I play with my virtual memory will it make fm quicker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its hard to say without more info about your computer. If you are low on memory it would help if you shut down unneeded services. If not then it wouldnt make more than 1% difference. It is possible that norton is a bit crappy and it considerably slows down any hard disk access. Add your FM folder to its exclusion list so it doesnt scan any of its files. Messing with your virtual memory is not recommended, unless you keep getting out of memory messages from windows.

All you can do to really speed it up is to upgrade to the fastest possible CPU with as many cores as possible. Or you could steal their source code and fix their incredibly slow processing icon_smile.gif

Archived