Why is Rafael Marquez such a goal machine?

I'm playing my first season ever of FM09 so i'm unfamiliar with any of the known bugs/foibles so i hopefully im not bringing up and old subject.

But in 20 games with Barcelona Marquez (playing as CB) is my top scorer with 12 goals. He seems get a goal every other game from corners and a few more from taking free kicks.

What gives? Is it just an anomoly or is there some kind of bug involved with him?

Cheers

Aahhh, the beloved corner bug. Never take it away SI.

I've implemeted the first half of it, and now I'm hitting the post all the time, about twenty times this season and only three goals.

I'm also hitting the post loads from open play too, it now feels quite weird if I get a game without hitting the post at least three times.

have you set him to challenge gk and for your corners to be delivered into the 6 yard box?

I have more corners set to 6 yard box, yes, but Marquez set to attack near post on corners.

I have changed my corners to mixed and Marquez to 'go forward'. I dont really want to exploit a bug like this. Especially one that produces really unrealistic results.

the corner bug won me 3 premier league titles and 3 Champions leagues in my first 3 seasons with man city and using Barzagli, left man city got the england job and john terry got the world cup golden boot and a nice world cup winners medal to go along with it

i have a CB with 20 strength 20 jumping and 17 heading and employ something thats like these explots and i seem to score more from corners than other teams in the league by 3-4 goals a season, but nothing like the 30-35 goals a season being said here.

There is no corner bug for FM09... It was existent in FM08 but has been eliminated this year.

Now, you simply get what you'd expect if you had someone 6ft4 attacking an incurling corner kick and pressuring a 'keeper. Basically, you'd expect to knock in a fair few.

The only time it is a bug is if you have someone 6ft4+ and 20 on Jumping and Heading - but even then, given 20 is perfection as a stat, you'd expect him to get his head on almost everything wouldn't you??

There is no corner bug for FM09... It was existent in FM08 but has been eliminated this year.

Now, you simply get what you'd expect if you had someone 6ft4 attacking an incurling corner kick and pressuring a 'keeper. Basically, you'd expect to knock in a fair few.

The only time it is a bug is if you have someone 6ft4+ and 20 on Jumping and Heading - but even then, given 20 is perfection as a stat, you'd expect him to get his head on almost everything wouldn't you??

Hmmm, I wonder why real life managers haven't figured this out yet? Just put a tall player challenging the keeper and he'll score a goal from a corner every other game!!! :p

I'd have to disagree that it doesn't exist in FM09. Marquez is on course for 30+ goals this season almost all from corners.

I hardly think thats acceptably realistic.

Of course it's a bug, don't be silly... There's no way in real life that a DC would score so many goals from corners.

1. The delivery into the 6 yard box is too perfect in FM. Eg in real life nobody could expect to hit exactly the correct spot in the box every single time...
  2. The opposition team doesn't man-mark and protect the GK from the DC properly... Eg put 2 strong tall players on the guy to stop him and another strong player to let the keeper have a clear path to grab the ball.

As said above, the only way this wouldn't be a bug is if we saw exactly the same pattern in real life football. Which we don't...

I am in my first year with Man United and after 15 games Rio Ferdinand has already scored 12 goals. It really helps me as i am top of the table 3 points clear of Arsenal.

Setting for cornor as follows:

Rio( challenge GK)

Taker left ( right footed player)

Taker Right (left footed player)

Make sure you do this otherwise the ball will swing away from the goal. I make sure that both takers get the ball in the 6yard box.

lol ive sussed it now... i didnt have the right footed player taking the corners from the left and vice versa...

still doubt i'll get 30 goals a season from it though... maybe 15-20 because my corner takers arn't up to scratch

Archived