Building A Team: Ideas

Hi.

I want to build my own team in FM 09. I don't mean using the editor and create one, but take over an existing team which is a great challenge and would feel like it's my team. I intend to use extreme methods in training, tactics and buying players. I want to take this team from nowhere and to the top. But I need advice.

First of all: Which team is good for this? Preferably not in England, because I want to coach elsewhere. Then again I don't want to take a team in a really, really bad league because I want to have the option to eventually take them to european glory (hopefully once far away in the future).

Second: Depending on what league I play in, what should my playing style be? Do I want to play in an attractive way, or do I want them to think results and hoof the ball upfield and depend on a great striker etc etc etc? And then buy/coach the players to play that way.

Third: Should I buy players who fits in my playing style, or should I train young players (bought or academy) to fit into my system?

What do you guys think?

Whenever I usually play FM I like to do something similar, and I always found Ajax is a good club to pick.

You get to poach all the young south american talent and they have a great youth scheme, also they are just about a big enough club to attract good players.

Yeah, I thought of Ajax. But I can't say Ajax will feel like my own team. Too much history, and I'm not afraid to fight in the relegation zone the first season. With Ajax they the board will demand to win the league or at least be at the top.

Ajax, PSV or Feyernoord, all likely to produce good players, no 'fgn' limitations. Feyernoord have under achieved IRL recently aswell, and they have a bit of a history to get back too, then surpass.

You could literally be anyone :)

You're going to stamp your own mark (or want to at least) on a club, whoever you choose. Picking which tactics to use, what appropriate players players to suit those tactics, so in essence, it's your team.

Personally, whatever team I manage, I decide what tactical approach that I'm going to use, then build my team around it. By doing this, I will always be looking at player attributes most suited to the positions and roles within my tactics, as opposed to continually tinkering with a tactic itself. I leave most of my tactical tinkerings to "experimental" saves. ;)

Archived