Do Cup Draws Mirror League Fixtures?

Hello all.

I would like to ask the question from the thread title: Do cup draws mirror league fixtures?

Something i've noticed over my past seasons in charge is that, at times, you can have a small run of fixtures (say two or three games) against the same club due to meetings in both the league and certain cups.

In my most recent season (2019/20) this has become much more apparent. Please view this link to my fixtures (and fixtures part two.)

As you can see I have played:

Aston Villa three times in a row from 26/01/2020 - 05/02/2020

Reading three times in quick succession from 09/04/2020 - 19/04/2020

West Brom twice in quick succession from 22/04/2020 - 29/04/2020

As you can also see, my last fixture of the year is against Arsenal. Arsenal are meeting Liverpool in the semis of the FA Cup, whilst I meet West Brom. It is very possible that us two progress and that would mean that I would be playing them in the Final. This would result in playing:

Arsenal twice in a row from 24/05/2020 - 30/05/2020

It's obviously a terrible coincidence, and some of the games have been replays, but for it to happen so much in a season seems a bit strange. I know there used to be a problem with drawing teams from a similar region as you, but now it seems that league results can have an impact on cup draws. Knowing that I have Arsenal as the last game of the season gives me real hope of reaching the final of the FA Cup as another run of playing the same team would be wonderful.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences like this, as I feel I notice something similar every year.

In fact, here are a couple of my previous seasons:

2018/19 - Played Newcastle 4 times in 3 competitions in just over a month. Played Man City twice in 3 days. Played Manchester United twice in quick succession.

2015/16 - Played Bolton twice in a week.

2014/15 - Played Blackburn twice in quick succession. Played Sunderland twice in 10 days.

2012/13 - Played Wolves twice in 4 days.

Archived