Manager PPMs

I was just thinking the other day how all the managers are fairly generic, maybe only the formation seperates them.

To give them a bit more character, how about manager PPMs (or traits) in the same vein as players ppms. It could be tied in with their manager profile along with their prefered formation and attacking/defence bias

Examples -

Arsene Wenger -

Plays Youth Players

Strong Tendency To Sign French Players

Harry Redknapp -

Strong Tendancy To Sign Strong African Players

Alex Ferguson -

Tries Mind Games

Play Kids In League Cup

Mark Hughes -

Complains About Referees

Rafa Benitez -

Likes To Rotate Squad

Prioritises Europe

An interesting idea.. as you say, player nationality it could be;

Buys domestic players (or 'preference for')

Buys players of home nation

Also, I think incorporating some of the hidden attributes would help, giving ones mentioned such as;

Uses substitutions frequently

Rotates players

The 'plays young players' one could also (possibly with some difficulty) link in with board confidence so if they got knocked out, the board wouldn't be as fussed.

'Complains about refs' and 'tries mind games' are good. Possible that others are linked to the media for how often they say things.

And how about 'bad loser' or something too?

The problem that arises with this is where do you limit them? People will always want others!

icon14.gif nice idea though!

Originally posted by Si BHA:

Additionally something like 'Play Kids In League Cup' probably wouldn't be applicable if Ferguson moved to another club where the competition was more important.

That's true - and perhaps he'd need PPMs for competitions in Italy, and a plethora of European countries.

Most of these are already in the game as attributes. Managers have a rating for 'Mind Games', 'Controversy', 'Squad Rotation' and so on.

As I suggested, they could be linked to these but in game (without FMM? don't know as I don't use it) these can't be seen

Most of these are already in the game as attributes. Managers have a rating for 'Mind Games', 'Controversy', 'Squad Rotation' and so on.

But they aren't shown in game - are they? They are more hidden attributes - similar to those that players have (e.g. consistency). Either these should be included as stats on the profile page or, depending on their hidden value in the database, should be included on the profile as a 1 liner (e.g. if 20 for rotation (Benitzez), "Likes to rotate players").

• SI Staff

I think what you're really suggesting here is giving the managers more personality. I don't think showing the hidden stats numerically is the way to go. Although using some of these attributes in news items and the like might be a good idea. Eg, "Manager x, no stranger to controversy, has..".

This would be very good, but it needs to be tested very well.

I dont think the league cup thing is only because it is not so important (because it is for some teams), it is also because those managers who uses young playes in the cups etc want to give the young players a chance, and Ferguson an Wenger is typically one of those managers.

It would also be good to have them as something that is written in their profile, so that you know these things about them before playing their team.

This can be used in your favour then, and if it actually works, then it would be fantastic and add a new tactical dimension to the game

Fantastic idea.

They maybe in the game but they never seem to have any effect. Not enough to give managers personality.

Originally posted by Neji:

Fantastic idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Most of these are already in the game as attributes. Managers have a rating for 'Mind Games', 'Controversy', 'Squad Rotation' and so on.

They maybe in the game but they never seem to have any effect. Not enough to give managers personality. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These attributes ARE in the game and have a big effect on how team play, media comment etc etc..

These attributes ARE in the game and have a big effect on how team play, media comment etc etc..

I know they are, but they dont have any effect in terms of giving the manager any personality.

It would be nice to see these though.

To the untrained eye there is very little to differentiate from one manager to the next.

On the whole the manager information is very limited.

It may be a case of only see the ppms in countries/leagues/cups you are playing in and each one slowly being revelead if you change club/country. Although this would be more of a fog of war issue.

Certainly the best proposed idea I have seen.

Someone mentioned the limitless nature of the idea as a bad thing. But I think it is a good thing. Surely, ppm's are just as limitless and yet are used to good effect. New ones could be added freely, maybe a few every year, depending on how hard they are to incorporate into the game(which I have no idea of because I am no programmer).

I dont know how easy/hard it would be to implement. I dont think it is the same as player ppms. Which i assume are linked to the match engine.

Where as manager ppms would be linked to the general game code.

Am i close to the mark? Would anybody in the know like to explain.

Additionally something like 'Play Kids In League Cup' probably wouldn't be applicable if Ferguson moved to another club where the competition was more important.

In that case manager PPMs can be applicable only for his current club and if leaves and signs for another club, then his PPM will develop according to what he does at that new club.

How about this^^ for a solution?

• 1 month later...

I've long argued for greater managerial personality/style to be effective in the game. icon14.gif

They aren't 'Manager PPMs' tho' Preferred Moves would be -

Sven - sits coolly in seat.

Mourinho - charges down touchline when team scores

SAF - berates 4th official when thrown in not given etc.

Hey, could be ... icon_wink.gif

WHS^

PPM stands for players preffered moves, and managers aint players icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by FestyF:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Si BHA:

In that case manager PPMs can be applicable only for his current club and if leaves and signs for another club, then his PPM will develop according to what he does at that new club.

How about this^^ for a solution? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

then it would be 'Prioritizes league and european competions'

• 2 weeks later...

Archived