How do you resist the temptation..

to keep changing formations? I can barely go half a season before I get bored by the kind of football I'm creating. There are only so many ways that a goal can be scored when you're using a particular formation and I get bored very very quickly. This makes sticking to a formation a bit drab.

I have 4 tactics (4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 5-3-2, 4-3-1-2) I rotate throughout the season, this was something I devised after playing FM08 a lot. I'm pretty much at the point where I change formation every few games because the players are used to all formations and they are all essentially similar in speed of play.

I only play 2 formations (4-4-2 with AM C and 4-2-3-1 "Denmark") and I only change if something really doesn't feel right. 4-4-2 is my standard formation and works in just about every circumstance - but one or two teams always find some way to counter it, so 4-2-3-1 is what I switch to. It's a totally different tactic but I trust it - 4-2-3-1 is hard enough to mark but it's more defensive.

But no, I don't switch formations much. Sometimes I'll switch for rotation purposes but I try not to fix what's not broken.

to keep changing formations? I can barely go half a season before I get bored by the kind of football I'm creating. There are only so many ways that a goal can be scored when you're using a particular formation and I get bored very very quickly. This makes sticking to a formation a bit drab.

I never get bored because I constantly tweak the settings within my tactic. You're bored because you aren't paying attention. Move one player's mentality up or down a couple of notches and you've altered the way the whole team plays. It's endlessly fascinating.

I never get bored because I constantly tweak the settings within my tactic. You're bored because you aren't paying attention. Move one player's mentality up or down a couple of notches and you've altered the way the whole team plays. It's endlessly fascinating.

Hmm, never thought of it that way. I change the tempo, D-Lines, width, counter attack etc, but after half a season, you've seen it all..

Archived