Chinese job application accepted?!

Hey,

Just wondering what everyone thought about the chances of this occurring:

After achieveing promotion with Redditch to the BSP, I was sacked after nearly making promotion the next season for poking my head around for other jobs. I then moved to small Italian club Itala San Marco and gained promotion to C1 there after a few seasons. I got sick of Italy and resigned the next season, coming back to Kidderminster who were at the foot of the League 2 table mid-season. I couldn't save them and was promptly sacked.

Rotherham gave me another chance soon after and I gained promotion and won 2 cups in my second season (Conference cup and some other crappy one). After losing in the playoffs once and even achieving that the last two seasons, I still sit in League 2.

The China job became avaliable, and with all smaller footballing nations I chucked my name in the hat as usual not expecting to get the job. However, the next day they offer me it and I excitiedly accept. Do you think this would ever happen to a manager of my calibre, experience and reputation?

That is unrealistic, especially if you have no previous international managing experience. China is small (in footballing terms, if not in number of fans), but not that small.

The last 2 non-Chinese coach they had was Arie Haan who managed various Belgian, German & Greece top flight team beforehand, and Bora Milutinović who had by that point already managed 4 international side at the WC.

In reality it's unlikely to happen. Asian love football. And China, Korea and Japan are among the biggest football power in Asia. Remember who's the one who took Korea to World Cup semi final? And from what i known even Peter Reid only got a job managing Thailand national team, Thailand job is far smaller compare to China/Korea/Japan, and Peter Reid himself is a former Premiership manager.

Another unrealsitic thing is that my reputation hasn't changed either - I'm still listed as regional. Surely simply getting the job would raise my profile, or do I need to perform well in competitons?

Are you still manager at Rotherham as well?

Cause there is certainly a distance between the two jobs. And it isnt as if all the players are english based either.

I reckon the game should have insisted your resigned from Rotherham before accepting.

China is an ex-World Cup finals team, so it's reputation would be too high to be likely. However, the next most populous country, India would be realistic. They recently had an English manager - Steve Constantine. He was nothing in England and tried for ages to get even a non-league managerial position with no success (he finally made it to Millwall coach). He's currently assman at Basingstoke in my save - a far cry from managing the national hopes of a billion people!

I find that International jobs are ludicrously easy to get. I've had offers from Senegal, China, Gerogia, Nigeria, South Africa and Ecaudor after just starting out unemployed with 'Proffessional' Experiance.

By contrast I struggle to get League 2 jobs.

I'm still manager of the Rotherham team. I don't think China or Rotherham should insist I resign from one of the posts. China are only playing 4 games all of this year, three of them friendlies I arranged.

• 6 months later...

Archived