Formations

im in abit of a fiddle, i was reading up that 4-4-2 is an outdated formation to use in modern day football due to 4-2-3-1 which helps to overpower the middle and rendering the 4-4-2 formation less effective.

is this reflected in FM?? is the match engine actually good enough to understand these formations and will using a 4-2-3-1 be more effective than using a 4-4-2 because ive been playing as benfica for 3 seasons using the 4-4-2 and redifining it and fine tunning it over the seasons but i have still yet to win the league even though im actually performing well and winning most of my games with the 4-4-2. I just cant seem to beat the big teams like porto and sporting and ive noticed they use the 4-2-3-1 formation. is all my hard work for nothing using the 4-4-2??

4-4-2 isn't outdated in real life unless you only have one decent striker.

I find 4-5-1 and varients (4-2-3-1 is a name given to 4-5-1 to make it sound attacking) to be very ineffective in game.

Anyway, this should be in T&T mate :thup:

i personally dont use 4-4-2 anymore as all my previous attempts end in failure, i just dont feel comfortable not playing a holding midfielder and leaving all that space between defence and midfield, the good teams will exploit that space hense why you might be losing to the big teams, im not saying 4-4-2 dont work im saying i have not made a sucessful 4-4-2 tactic since fm07, i tried a couple of times on fm09 but have just given up hope.

BigAmz you can set one of the 2 central midfielders to no forward runs. I find that he tends to drop back into the space to intercept/tackle very effectively while the attacking CM tends to close down anything a little higher up. Also when you set the no forward runs that defensive CM plays a role similar to Alonso's in Liverpool. He stays back and dictates play if an avenue shuts down the players tend to pass it back to him and then he tries something else.

Archived