Your rating for FM09 new features

Greetings all,

What would be your rating, out of 5, for the new features in FM09?

I have listed them below, copied from the manual that comes with the game.

3D Match Engine

Assistant Manager Feedback

Board Confidence Improvements

Female Staff and Managers

Improved Media

Position Training

Preferred Move Training

Press Conferences

New Match Timebar

Transfer System Re-write

Trial Days

TV View

Transfer Rumours

Updated Competitions and Data

Finance Improvements

UI Revamp

Simply copy and paste the list into a new post and then rate them out of 5 in terms of usefulness, how well they function and how much you have enjoyed using them in FM09.

Here is my list below:

3D Match Engine - As many will have noted already, this is not my favourite. :D Not something I have found useful or enjoyed, although I do understand why it has been brought in. 2/5.

Assistant Manager Feedback - Doesn't really seem finished yet and I haven't found any of the information useful really. Not something I use and I also think it has led to a number of users overcomplicating things by following everything the assistant says. Causes more confusion than anything else. 1/5.

Board Confidence Improvements - Not sure I have really taken note of this during playing. I think I liked the club stature but I can't think of much else I have found useful. Does seem a little more stable although still throws up the same old strange reactions from time-to-time. 2/5.

Female Staff and Managers - Not something I was especially interested in but I can see why this would be good for female users. A good but very minor addition. Doesn't always work properly though and thus I'm giving it 2/5.

Improved Media - Have noticed a few extra details and news items here and there. 3/5.

Position Training - Haven't noticed any real difference if I am totally honest. 2/5.

Preferred Move Training - Seems almost useless to me as nearly every player rejects my suggestions. Clearly needs some work. 2/5.

Press Conferences - Dull, boring, repetitive, inane, lacking in basic sense. 0/5.

New Match Timebar - I don't like it and I very rarely use it. It just takes up a lot of space on the match screen. 2/5.

Transfer System Re-write - Well, this has ruined my lower league experience, with many clubs making unusual signings and unrealistic loan signings. Doesn't seem to have helped me in selling my players. Better competition for signing players though. But still, needs some major work as far as I am concerned. 2/5.

Trial Days - Really excellent idea and I like this. Great for the lower league manager. Functions well and is very useful. 5/5.

TV View - I've given a number of opinions about this elsewhere, so I won't repeat them here. Let's just say that the widgets annoy me and the TV view makes my highlights stutter when I use it. 1/5.

Transfer Rumours - It's ok I suppose although I rarely access it. 3/5.

Updated Competitions and Data - Apart from a few minor issues with the format of competitions, this is excellent. Data is superb. 5/5.

Finance Improvements - In general seem to be of a good standard and I can't remember ever having any issues with it. 4/5.

UI Revamp - The user interface is extremely unresponsive in some cases and I don't think there is any significant improvement on the previous version of the game. 1/5.

These are all just my humble opinions of course.

That is a total of 16 items rated out of 5. I make that a total score of 37 out of 80.

So, how do you rate the FM09 features?

C.

Further to the post above, I have thought of a couple of additions to the game that SI haven't made a big deal about but are terrific.

Assistant Manager suggestions of the team report screen would definitely get 5/5. As would the ability to send your Assistant Manager off to look for loan signings. The message giving you the history of the club when you join is a nice touch. The 'clear' button on the team talks is a minor but really useful addition too.

Those four are worth more than Press Conferences and Assistant Manager Feedback put together in my opinion. :D

C.

3D Match Engine.....4/5

Assistant Manager Feedback.....2/5

Board Confidence Improvements.....3/5

Female Staff and Managers.....4/5

Improved Media.....3/5

Position Training.....3/5

Preferred Move Training.....3/5

Press Conferences.....1/5

New Match Timebar.....4/5

Transfer System Re-write.....4/5

Trial Days.....3/5

TV View.....5/5

Transfer Rumours.....4/5

Updated Competitions and Data.....5/5

Finance Improvements.....4/5

UI Revamp.....2/5

3D Match Engine - Not something I've used, but I definitely would've if I had a decent laptop. Nice addition, but there's a lot of room for improvement. 3.5/5.

Assistant Manager Feedback - Never knew of this feature so I can't comment.

Board Confidence Improvements - Infinitely better than 08, but there are still a few issues. 4/5.

Female Staff and Managers - More common sense than anything. I won't give it a rating as I wouldn't really see it as a feature.

Improved Media - Better, but room for improvement. 3/5.

Position Training - Haven't noticed any real difference if I am totally honest. 2/5.

Preferred Move Training - Seems almost useless to me as nearly every player rejects my suggestions. Clearly needs some work. 2/5.

Press Conferences - Nice idea, but far too repetitive. 1.5/5.

New Match Timebar - I'd prefer if it wasn't there tbh. 1/5.

Transfer System Re-write - From my experience, it's a good deal better than FM08. You never got any loan bids for players when offering them out on loan and affiliate loans didn't work as well as they did in '08. 3/5.

Trial Days - I have no complaints. 5/5.

TV View - No complaints. 5/5.

Transfer Rumours - Very nice addition. 4/5.

Updated Competitions and Data - No complaints. 5/5.

Finance Improvements - Haven't noticed all that much so I can't comment.

UI Revamp - There was a UI revamp? Seems the same as FM08 to me.

3D Match Engine - 5/5 I really like the new 3-d I couldnt go back to the old one now.

Assistant Manager Feedback - 3/5 I dont really use it but when I do it can become quite helpful

Board Confidence Improvements - 3/5 Still a few minor problems with it but it is much improved from FM08.

Female Staff and Managers - 5/5 This is great for my missus as she is a woman that plays and loves being able to choose a female manager.

Improved Media - 1/5 Not really noticed that much difference really infact I never knew it had been improved.

Position Training - 3/5 Decent feature didnt know it had changed much.

Preferred Move Training - 4/5 Comes in handy to get regens trained up.

Press Conferences - 0/5 Good first couple of times but terrible after that not enough different questions.

New Match Timebar - 3/5 Not really that much of a good feature but not a bad one either.

Transfer System Re-write - 5/5 I think the new transfers are brilliant compared to previous games you can now negoiate alot better than before.

Trial Days - 2/5 Handy if you play lower league I suppose but when I did I very rarely found anyone worth getting.

TV View - 4/5 Really enjoy this along with the 3-d has given the game a step up.

Transfer Rumours - 1/5 One in a million might help me out otherwise its just useless.

Updated Competitions and Data - 5/5 Brilliant accurate data not many I disagree with really.

Finance Improvements - 3/5 - Not really sure how its been improved.

UI Revamp - I always download other skins the default one is looks rubbish but is a good enough interface.

Quick count I think its 44 out of 80 not too bad.

3D Match Engine - 5

Assistant Manager Feedback - 2 (don't really use it, sick of the ass man telling me i'll never score with 1 upfront, even though i've played 4-5-1 with supporting wingers all season)

Board Confidence Improvements - 4

Female Staff and Managers - 1 (I'm not female, but was it really necessary?)

Improved Media - 1 (Apart from Press Conferences I must have missed this)

Position Training - New? We've had this for ages

Preferred Move Training - 3 (Would be great if the players did as they were told)

Press Conferences - 4 (the press conferences are good, but they don't half get boring)

New Match Timebar - 2 (Don't really use it but have on occasions)

Transfer System Re-write - 4 (much much better but not quite the finished article yet)

Trial Days - 3 (nice idea, shame all the players are just dire)

TV View - 5 (not played a game in classic view since, 100% brilliant)

Transfer Rumours - 4 (like it, taken a lot of transfer ideas of those)

Updated Competitions and Data - 5 (Great, not really a problem)

Finance Improvements - 3 (Not really the most noticeable thing, but i'm sure they're there)

UI Revamp 2 (looks the same as FM08 to me. Really needs a new look next year, and for that reason I've always really used custom skins)

48/75 - Not bad i suppose

3D Match Engine - Not Interested. While I can understand it's attraction, this one is definately not for me. Plus i'm concerned that the 3D movement and animations are making the movement of the 2D graphics harder to deduce. Short of the graphics engine football being upgraded to a fifa-like simulation, i'm not interested. 2/5

Assistant Manager Feedback - Fairly Positive. Although i'm fairly single-minded and don't often have an assistant manager (never mind use his advice) I found this feature fairly well implemented. Some of the observations the AMs have given have actually been fairly perceptive, even if I ignore their tactical suggestions. 3/5

Board Confidence Improvements - Largely positive. The chairman certainly seem more clued-in and certainly have become more involved. However I think the 'squad harmony' part has a couple of serious rebalancing issues that make it a major pain in the early game. 3/5

Female Staff and Managers - No opinion. 3/5

Improved Media - Fairly Positive. The variety is good and the interactions between the clubs and the media seem more realistic. I especially like the division between the player's inbox and 'news'. However, it would be nice to bring these two together in one screen. At the moment I feel you have to go slightly out of your way to catch up on world events. 4/5

Position Training ...er this isn't new is it? Works just like always 5/5

Preferred Move Training - Unhappy. I love the idea but in my experiance players are far too likely to reject your advice. I'd much prefer a system where they usually try and carry out your instructions, but don't always succeed in adapting their game. You could even have feedback about this. Instead what I get is 90% of my players simply disregarding what I say. So most of the time I don't even bother to ask. 2/5

Press Conferences - Mostly Negative. A good idea but poorly implemented. I like the relationships with journalists and newspapers but that's about it. The questions are too often asked the stupid way or indeed there is no suitable awnser to the question even your awnser is a logical response. Also I feel the conferances happen too often and that you should be able to a) delegate a Coach if you don't have an Assistant Manager, b) Choose to not attend the damn things. I hate the press officer informing me I have to attend. Lots of potential but at the moment it is a feature that detracts from the game. 1/5

New Match Timebar - Positive. It's nice, immersive even. 4/5

Transfer System Re-write - Very Positive. Transfers are much more consistant, intuitive and bug-free. In fact it's been so good i'd forgotten that it was ever a problem until just now. Thumbs up! 5/5

Trial Days - Positive. A good idea and well-implemented. Not something that I frequently find useful (even though I play with smaller clubs) but a nice feature nonetheless. 4/5

TV View - Negative. I don't like this view at all and it seems to be the default setting. 1/5

Transfer Rumours - Mixed. I like the idea but the transfer rumour shares the problem of being stuck in the 'news' section and therefore being easy to overlook. It would be nice for there to be substantially LESS Transfer Rumours, but those that do occur being more pervasive. Also a more world-wide view would be appreciated and possibly more viretol from managers and players on outragous stories. 3/5

Updated Competitions and Data - Largely Positive. The quality and breadth of research in this version seems to be better and more consistant than ever. In 09 i've had substantially less issues than i've come to expect with players over or underperforming compared to their real life counterparts. However i'd still like to see more Africa/Asian leagues in the game and far, far better explanations of the 'rules' of the less intuitve leagues. 4/5

Finance Improvements Positive. Seems to be largely well-worked out. However have witnessed a few bugs. 4/5

UI Revamp Negative. I don't like the bread-crumbs focused layout and think that the layout needs to be simplified rather than just streamlined: At the moment there are simply far too many locations and some are not obvious. No support for Netbooks. There seem to be some response issues with certain parts of the interface. There is a lack of colouration on attributes. The layout is a little too clinical and needs to be livened up. CM 01/02 and CM4 had a fantastic atmosphere that I still remember fondly.1/5

Overall: 50/80

Verdict: Good. I think this version of FM09 represents the most ambitious single upgrade in the series since CM4. However like CM4 it has lots of shiny new features that would be super-neat... if only they worked properly. But while most of new features need a substantial amount of work, i'm pleased that they are at least in the game.

I think FM09 has set the stage set for a simply fantastic FM10.

3D Match Engine - I always use it , and eventhough its not very good, i still liken it to 2D, plenty of room for improvment though! 4/5

Assistant Manager Feedback - Its a nice little feature , but just one that i dont use. I rather make my own decisions. 3/5

Board Confidence Improvements - its a nice one , but i hate it when my confidence gets slated for signing promosing youngsters and dont play them!3/5

Female Staff and Managers - I forogot about this , but a nice little realistic touch! 5/5

Improved Media - Havnt picked up on a great improvement 2.5/5

Position Training - I thought this had been in previous additions? If not then 3/5

Preferred Move Training - Ive hardly every used it , probablly due to a lack of knowledge and afraid of destroying a players career! 4/5

Press Conferences - All the gear , no idea! Basically it has the potential , just hasnt reached it! 2/5

New Match Timebar - it's not really a significant feature, but suppose it doesnt take anything away from the game 3/5

Transfer System Re-write - I havnt noticed a great depth of difference, but thats probablly due to a lack of memory! 3/5

Trial Days - Very usefull when im managing in the lower leagues , which is often the case 5/5

TV View - I's rather good 3.5/5

Transfer Rumours - Has helped me sign some good talent in the lower leagues i suppose, which i guess is realistic! 4/5

Updated Competitions and Data -Good job 5/5

Finance Improvements - Not sure where this has been improved , but i'll give it a 4/5

UI Revamp - I enjoy it , but im not too fussy on these kind of things 4/5

3D Match Engine.................. 2/5

Assistant Manager Feedback...........................2/5

Board Confidence Improvements.............................4/5

Female Staff and Managers...............................3/5

Improved Media............................4/5

Position Training................................1/5

Preferred Move Training........................2/5

Press Conferences..............................4/5

New Match Timebar..........................3/5

Transfer System Re-write....................4/5

Trial Days...........................................3/5

TV View...........................................4/5

Transfer Rumours...............................5/5

Updated Competitions and Data...........................5/5

Finance Improvements................................5/5

UI Revamp .........................3/5

3D Match Engine- I think it's alright, I certainly don't care if the graphics aren't good enough (no opinion of them). However, I definitely prefer 2D. 3/5

Assistant Manager Feedback- really bad, to be honest. It has just created problems that didn't exist before (people now think they have to keep the gaps in mentalities small, which is rubbish, and that OIs are a must). I notice no difference using it or not. 0/5

Board Confidence Improvements fixed major bugs. 4/5

Female Staff and Managers Needed, but cosmetic really. 2.5/5

Improved Media No change noticed 2.5/5

Position Training I have actually noticed the improvement 3/5

Preferred Move Training Great in principle, rubbish in practice. 1/5

Press Conferences I don't mind them, I see them being really good in a few years. 3/5

New Match Timebar Great idea, should have been in long ago, but it is far too big. If it was three times smaller, perhaps I would give it a 5. As it is, 2/5.

Transfer System Re-write Needs a lot of work. Some improvements have clearly been made, but negotiation is still a nightmare. Getting loan offers is a struggle. 1.5/5

Trial Days I have played as small clubs a lot, but I have never found a decent player at a trial day, because anybody who looks good is only excelling because the others are even worse :breathes:. 1/5

TV View I like it, but the widgets are bad. We need an easier way to navigate in and out, without having to set up the match each time. 2/5

Transfer Rumours Quite good, ironically it finds me more signings than trial days! 4/5

Updated Competitions and Data Top notch 5/5

Finance Improvements Very good, has improved the game. 4.5/5

UI Revamp Has there been one? 1/5

39/80. Just under half, despite some generous marks (3D, UI). Must do better. Still, this is a better showing than the improvements for 08.

Assistant manager signings and loans would get 5/5, although the loan thing is often unsuccessful.

I'd like to point out that the new ME and tactics would more than cancel out all these features.

3D Match Engine - 2/5. While I do think this is the right direction to go in, the current engine is less useful than the classic dots for tactical analysis and lacks the polish to be pleasing on the eye. Animations need to improve as well. I find myself disabling it most of the time.

Assistant Manager Feedback - 1/5. I'm just not using it. Once again I think it's a good idea, but it needs more work before what he's saying is actually intelligent enough to feel worth basing decisions on.

Board Confidence Improvements - 4/5. I think this works pretty well.

Female Staff and Managers - Pass. I'm sure the female customers like to not have to play as males anymore. For myself it makes no difference one way or the other.

Improved Media - 3/5. Repetitive, but I'm not sure that's avoidable for a game you play as much as FM. Still an area where I think the game needs to get more clever.

Position Training - 5/5. I have no beef with it whatsoever.

Preferred Move Training - 4/5. Limited set of PPM's for no apparent reason.

Press Conferences - 2/5. Incredibly repetitive. Like with the media in general I think that's hard to avoid, but it does get painfully predictable.

New Match Timebar - 4/5. It's nice.

Transfer System Re-write - 4/5. Works well. Easier to get rid of squad players. However still some outrageous transfers going on.

Trial Days - 4/5. Nice scouting opportunity when I'm down in the lower leagues.

TV View - 2/5. I consider this part of the 3D match engine, so rated the same.

Transfer Rumours - 4/5. I don't see much wrong with it, but also seems like something that can be expanded upon.

Updated Competitions and Data - 4/5. No issues with it, but I want the J-League back.

Finance Improvements - 5/5. No issues with it.

UI Revamp - 5/5. No issues with it.

3D Match Engine 1/5, I was very disappointed with this. I had high hopes, but stopped using it after a few matches

Assistant Manager Feedback 3/5, good but some strange feedback sometimes

Board Confidence Improvements 3/5, better this year but still some bugs

Female Staff and Managers 0/5, couldn't care less

Improved Media 1/5, improved??

Position Training 3/5, useful

Preferred Move Training 3/5, good but too often the player will disagree with your choice

Press Conferences 1/5, fun for about 5 minutes

New Match Timebar 2/5, haven't noticed

Transfer System Re-write 2/5, slightly better but not good by any means. Co-owning is horribly bugged!

Trial Days 3/5, nice feature for LLM I guess, but I don't play there

TV View 3/5, it's ok

Transfer Rumours 2/5, to many stupid rumors (but that might be realistic after all?)

Updated Competitions and Data 1/5, playing in La Liga is horrible after B-teams were turned into affiliates

Finance Improvements 2/5, haven't noticed anything

UI Revamp 2/5, the UI is ok, but I prefer a custom skin

-----------------------------------------------------------

Overall 2/5 (32/80), I hope the new features in FM10 will be better than these

3D Match Engine - Don't use it, as my graphics card is pap, but regardless when I tried 2D still seems the easiest way to read the game for me. Given that it basically screwed up the match engine it's a 1/5

Assistant Manager Feedback - I used to reference it often and it has definitely made Opposition Instructions easier to give out for me. A big help for me the first few months of the release I feel. Just a shame that it is unfinished because Tight Marking was never coded into it. 4/5

Board Confidence Improvements - Not a new feature at all, however the tweaks made work well, with less importance on competitions like the League Cup and so on. FM08's new feature is still not perfect today though, all you get is disappointment when you sign very young players and don't actually play them in your first team that year, they should not be expecting an impact from them yet. Some sort of recognition of or less disappointment to your second string squads failing to beat teams in the league after you've won the league title already would be nice also. 4/5

Female Staff and Managers - Nothing that really makes much odds to me personally but I approve of this being in the game for female players and real life female staff. 5/5

Improved Media - Less criticism and praise from managers this time round which I think is a good thing, it should only be 'news' for important matches and the like, and not every small time manager in the division taking pop shots at you telling you you won't win the title (like it was before). Other than that though nothing springs to mind at all and there is still room for improvement I feel. 3/5

Position Training - All I can assume this is referring to is the ability for players to gain new natural positions, which is something I welcome with open arms, however actually seeing this happen seems too few and far between. 3/5

Preferred Move Training - Excellent addition. Before the only way you could do this was with tutoring, where they'd also pick up any bad habits to boot. Unlearn option is equally handy sometimes. 5/5

Press Conferences - Initial excitement faded and it's now more of a pain than anything else. I'm really not sure how this can become less so except to make it a bit less repetitive. Does add a fair bit of realism to the game though on the whole, but there always seems such little reward at the end of it all. 3/5

New Match Timebar - Not as good as it could be, you cannot just click anywhere on it and instantly be taken to that moment, you have to drag the needle to the desired place. It is also too large I feel and takes away from the pitch. 3/5

Transfer System Re-write - Still a fair way from where I'd like it to be. Give people smaller increments for LLM and put a stop to this rounding of figures once and for all. The same clubs keep making the same bids and then cancelling at the last minute or just fail to take the hint that you don't want their bid. Same applies for loan bids. Selling players is easier than before now but still much room to be improved upon I feel, but that comes down to the AI manager programming. Again not a new feature, just a slight improvement on what is already there. 3/5

Trial Days - Well done on this one, nothing groundbreaking but adds to the realism, and although I won't use it much that doesn't mean I don't appreciate it as improving the game. 5/5

TV View - LET ME TURN THIS OFF PROPERLY! I will always look at opposing players for OI's and this always causes the match to start with TV View even though I don't want it to. The widgets look nice enough but I'd really prefer to not use this view as I would rather have access to subs at my fingertips and it does stutter for me sometimes. A real pain in the behind for me this addition. 1/5

Transfer Rumours - The screen for it is not something I pay much attention to, but it is great to have all the rumours (most of which false) flying around in press conferences and so on. It really adds to the realism for me. The fault with it from my point of view though is that the percentage of false rumours seems far too high. They never actually seem to be able to name an actual player I am bidding on in a Press Conference unless the bid itself gets leaked, instead it is all false rumour. 4/5

Updated Competitions and Data - I have had no real issues I can think of this year with regards to either. Top notch as usual. 5/5

Finance Improvements - I can't really remember how this was meant to have been improved. I would still like to see everything broken down more though, I want to know where every penny is coming in and going out, moreso at the lower level. We shouldn't be confused as to where money is going, ever. 4/5

UI Revamp - Not much improvement on last year. Layout could still be more user friendly I feel, but at the same time no real complaints either. 3/5

Total: 56/80

Archived