FM 07 or 08? (opinions needed for a future update)

Which version of FM would you like an update of?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which version of FM would you like an update of?

I've been editing a few different, older versions of FM/CM over the past few months, but I'd prefer to concentrate more on one game as obviously editing right now is going to take me literally years, but the problem I'm having lately is deciding which game to update.

My current 'favourites' are FM '07 and '08, so I thought I'd ask on here which is your best/favourite version of FM of the two? (and why preferably please) and therefore of course, which game would you like to see updated the most? :)

For me personally, I find FM '07's match engine to be superior in that it's faster and looks more 'clear'; but at the same time FM '08 has a superior skin and extra features (opp. player instructions visible by default at matches, detailed 'scout' coach reports on players, etc).

I would've put this as a poll, but I wanted as much thought and input as possible rather than a simple vote, as it may ultimately influence which game I concentrate on in the future.

I won't say much more on my planned update(s) just now as there's still a HUGE amount of work still to be done, other than I intend to copy the official SI FM stats, (due mainly to frustration at initial errors with CA/stat balancing in my old CM game editing, but now I also find that doing so will also eliminate the process of determining my own 'correct' stats) and that I do intend on seeing at least one of my updates through to the bitter end hopefully. :)

Are you doing it for the whole database? If so, good luck lol! I personally liked 07 better but 08 was cracking too. The only difference which makes me go for 07 is, as you say, the speed of it. I could munch through a season every few hours playing time.

Why not add a poll? :)

Personally: Although I loved 08, I would recommend 07 as the cleaner, simpler, more user-friendly version with the best balance. Also there are numerous frustrating issues in the latest build of the 08 match engine such as defenders electing to boot the ball off the field when they could (and should)easily clear it.

Are you doing it for the whole database? If so, good luck lol! I personally liked 07 better but 08 was cracking too. The only difference which makes me go for 07 is, as you say, the speed of it. I could munch through a season every few hours playing time.

I'm pretty sure that if you compare them, 08 is actually the quicker in terms of processing, loading and saving the game, as the code was optimised for speed after 07.

Both are good versions. My preference would be for 08 over 07, simply for a number of the features that came in for the latter version of the game. In particular, the coach reports are extremely useful.

Other things I can think of:

- International management was much improved and way easier to use than 07.

- Facegen technology. Just a minor thing but I think I would miss this. :D

- Transfer centre was a pretty good addition as you could see all current offers really easily.

- Budget adjustment is a vital tool for lower league managers and I couldn't go without it now it has been introduced.

- Match day is smoother as it takes you through the screens before starting the match.

I'm sure there are probably other features I would miss if I went back to 07.

A lot of people have a negative view about 08 due to the fact that there were some big issues with the game prior to the 8.2 patch. However, after the 8.2 patch, it is my belief that the game became more stable and was probably one of the best incarnations of the series for addictiveness and playability.

So, 08 gets the vote for me.

C.

A lot of people have a negative view about 08 due to the fact that there were some big issues with the game prior to the 8.2 patch. However, after the 8.2 patch, it is my belief that the game became more stable and was probably one of the best incarnations of the series for addictiveness and playability.

They never fixed regens in 08. Which means that playability short term = good, long term = very poor. 07 is a well balanced game, lacks a few fancy features but most of the stuff there is actually works really well.

07 is the best incarnation of the game by far, largely because it had the best ME by far. It always beats 07 in polls.

Of the features Crouchaldinho mentions, I only miss budget adjustment when I play 07- and the lack of it is made up by the game being better :D

They never fixed regens in 08. Which means that playability short term = good, long term = very poor. 07 is a well balanced game, lacks a few fancy features but most of the stuff there is actually works really well.

I never worked out what was actually supposed to be wrong with the regens. I was mainly managing at a lower level in 08 and they looked fine to me for the level I was playing at. Was it something to do with physical stats? :confused:

C.

I never worked out what was actually supposed to be wrong with the regens. I was mainly managing at a lower level in 08 and they looked fine to me for the level I was playing at. Was it something to do with physical stats? :confused:

C.

Terrible physical stats were pretty much the gist of it, yes. The biggest problem with it is that the AI judges it's players on reputation and ability totals. This in turn means that while a human player will usually manage to build a squad full of players that are actually more athletic than Stephen Hawking you hardly see any competition on the top level when you get to the 2020's or so. Unbeaten seasons become less and less of a challenge as you'll end up with all the good players while all AI teams are full of useless carp with high CA/PA who can't run or jump to save their lives.

Thanks for all the replies so far folks! I am already regretting not making it a vote now actually, yes. :D

I can't edit a poll into the thread now and I'm reluctant to create another identical thread just for the purpose of adding a poll, but I feel it would be a definitive way of producing a 'result' in the long run, so I'm still considering the idea atm.

I am indeed doing this project for the entire db, baker.simon, hence the 'literally years' prediction. lol in fact, I'm currently adding 5 years on to player ages for all my updates to get them in line with hopefully a release in the next 2-3 years. I'm in it for the long haul currently. lol

I certainly agree with your advantages of FM '08 crouchaldinho, I found it slightly baffling that in '07 I could send one of my coaches out to get a detailed scout report about a player, yet my coaches would only ever tell me a single line like '<player> is worthy of a first team place' about my very own players! :D something that was thankfully fixed in '08.

Your description of the 'match day experience' superior flow through the screens improvement in '08 is better than mine too.

I'd forgotten about the budget adjustments though! That is a useful feature and I can see the points of view that it helps with LLM especially.

I've always been too indecisive with my FM games to ever manage the lengths of 2020 games myself so I've not struck the regen issues personally, though such things are certainly something to consider in '07's favour.

The speed issue is an interesting one though, I tried once recently to run both games ME's side by side, though complexities involved make it hard to offer a 100% fair comparison, but at the time I felt that '07 may have been slightly faster, though maybe the clock not ticking by a minute at a time like it does '08 simply gives that illusion? I'll have to test again.

I've not done any testing as such on main game processing between the two, though I tend to keep things fast and small for db testing ('Large' db with just 4 English div's selected in my case - loads everyone and every club I may have just edited, that way) whenever I test/play both games, so the processing isn't much of a noticeable issue. Perhaps if more leagues were added and a simple 'continue game' in week 1 was performed on both games at the same time, that would offer a slightly more even test?

I must say FM07s match engine was fantastic. Also regens were as good as they have gotten so far which made long term games great. FM07 and FM08 both ran smoothly so it's not an issue, it's just FM09 which puts laptops into cardiac arrests. I'm currently playing a 2008 update on FM07 which is quite impressive based on the number of player stats and transfers edited. Now that it's almost time for 2010, I feel even more out of touch so would love a more up to date version.

Well '07 seems to be the most popular in this thread overall, I was always under the impression that '08 was held in the highest regard as well until recently, so it is a surprise. :) I myself never really got into '07 until not that long ago.

I'll set up a poll thread later on I think to get conclusive results, then I'll get cracking on again with the long haul editing. :)

Thanks to all those who have voted so far. Please leave any comments/reasons for your choice if you wish as I'm interested in the feedback.

I've added Kaka to Real in my updates recently, his 6 year contract causes an error in '07 due to its length, reminding me of a future necessity to 'scale back' contracts a few years, as well as the player ages I'm already doing. :D

I'm reinstalling FM07 as i type so no prizes for guessing whihc one i voted for. TBH you should wait til after the transfer window shuts as no-one else is doing an 07 update that i know of.

Another vote for '07 then :D

Do you think I should've waited 'til after the transfer window to announce the update or to release it?

If it's the latter, then I'm afraid the update won't be complete for literally years yet, though I'm sure I'll release pics/betas down the line.

So far I've done the first Man City squad (ie. those currently with squad numbers, and Gareth Barry) and most of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man. United, plus some of Newcastle and a few other transfers here and there, as well as renaming some competitions.

I intend to rename the French teams to their French equivalents too (eg. 'Lyon' become 'Olympique de Lyonnais' in cetain situations), as for some reason FM '07 doesn't revert to their original names when you delete the 'Inc' folder contents, unlike in FM '08/'09, so more work there. :)

I plan a 'major' release in 2 years or so time currently, when most of the db will hopefully be updated; then after that I'll sort out the more time-consuming issues of player/competition histories and player contract lengths (player ages, past transfer fees and club records will be done for the initial release, however) in future updates.

I voted FM07.

The reason, the ME is almost flawless, with few minor things here and there.

The injuries are on target, not like FM09 that every match I have injury. In FM07 there is periods i have every player fit and there is times I'm overwhelm by injuries, which happens in reality. Why Si change this, is beyond my comprehension as well for the ME.

The only two gripes i have in FM07 are: 1- transfers, specially of older players that reached the age of 34. I mean some of them are still great players for mid table teams, still those clubs don't hire them for some unknown reason. I out of pity end up in hiring them and loan them to my feeder clubs. 2- Feeder clubs. Since I don't choose every leagues available choose the top European leagues and Argentinian, Brasillian and USA leagues, I would like that my feeder clubs for to choose belong to those teams.

I'm the few the defend that FM10 should step backwards in terms of development, because I didn't like the ME in FM08, because i feel that is very unreal. For me FM10 should incorporate the FM07 ME , injuries but with an upgrade on transfer system of FM07, with some new features of FM08, like international management and graphical upgrade, but use a skin like FM07, didn't like much the white skin of FM08 and FM09.

In regards of two major new features of FM09, 3D and Media talks before match my personal view are: The 3D needs major revamp, because if it is going to something with the looks of the current one it is better for Si to drop altogether. I'm one of COMRAD members and persenol view is that the dots give more tactical information and imagination to the gamer then the 3D. TheMedia Talks should be dropped period. Is one of those new features that didn't worked at all. FM07 media talks where repetitive yes, but update of having more phrases for option would reduce the repetitiveness of this feature.

The substitutions, I defend that an option should exists for those who want for the match (clock) to stop like FM07 and the clock continue ticking on the subs like FM08 and FM09.

I also defend levels of difficulty should be incorporated in FM10. Two sets of level: the Casual level - this level should like FM07 for those people who don't want to explore the micromanagement of the thing, gamers who load the game set up a tactic and they are off, and The World Class level - Those who want to explore the micromanagement of the game and want an extremely difficult challenge, like FM09.

If this is done, i have no doubts that FM10 would crush any competition.

Edit: The Editor should be improved to be more user friendly. Also I defend that FM10 editor should have minor editor to control the number of teams in the league (like choosing between 16 and 20teams and the correct rules of relegation and that sort of stuff, for the first incorporation of this).

Thanks for yer post, grade, some interesting and valid points there.

I'm not a massive fan of FM09 either tbh, one of the main reasons I've been doing so much editing of the older versions.

I wasn't keen on 2D when it first came out, I tried CM4 and hated the ME, but gradually as the FM's were introduced, I got more used to the 'blimp' view and now playing CM 01-02 (via the terrific ChampMan0102 team updates) still feels great for its simplicity, but I struggle without those dots sometimes.

3D however I feared would push things too far, as part of what I love about 2D is the fact you can see the whole pitch and the movement of the players. The 3D ME will most likely continue to improve with future versions of FM, just as the 2D engine did; and I'm sure SI won't let it go down the FIFA Manager 'presentation above gameplay' route (everytime I see that ME I think 'all that hard, managment effort...to watch the AI play FIFA!' :D), however I still believe (and probably always will) that 2D is the best option for a management ME.

I did stumble upon the CAMRAD thread today in fact and am all for it, I tried michaeltmurrayuk's skin for '09 earlier and it's fantastic, makes a noticeable difference to the pitch.

The clock not stopping for subs in FM '08 was good in that you had a sense of 'flow' to the match, but I prefer the older FM sub method as I've had too many missed goals in '08 due to being on the tactics screen at the time. :D

Now the editors I've had a bit of experience with over the past few months/years.. lol The 08/09 official editors are virtually identical, 07 has slight changes in layout but ultimately is very similiar too. Though I certainly agree with your additions, it'd be nice to have some more too.

FM07's latest patch included the Italian league scandal of the time, requiring removal of docked points from some clubs, seemingly impossible in the official editor, so I've had to re-create several Italian clubs from scratch, (that was a fun day.. :rolleyes: lol) with a few more still to do.

I particularly liked FM 06's official editor, which gave you the ability for editing finances beyond 'realisitc' values (eg. £900milllion+ balance), this has become a nuisance of course nowadays for teams like Man City. I'm having to create EDT files for any mega-rich clubs in my updates now (currently City are the only one, though Portsmouth may be added to the file in the future), though this does create a 'bug' of the bank balance and transfer budget being identical.

Ive been playing 08 for two years now and its still keeping me intrested with my latest save (liverpool in 2019 fwiw) The only thing that is that the regens that come few are few and far between, which means that there are less good players for the future. Might give 07 a shot when i get bored of this save.

So 08 for me.

hey, if you need some help i know a lot about the arsenal reserves and youth and some stuff on the barnet players aswell? why don't you use the latest update you linked me to as a base so its easier and quicker? cause a lot of the basic things they transferred you'd have to do yourself otherwise when its already done for you.

I'll try pm'img you

Fm 2007 definetely for me. Enjoyable match engine, much beter skin and user interface. No regens issue, no two-footed issue in database.

Also, I would like to point out that there are updates of fm 2007 and 2008 on fm weegie i believe. Perhaps it would be easier to start working with those.

However, I doubt that I'd be interested in playing update of any previous version (I'm playing fm 2007 with 7.01 database), because the starting year would be 2006.

hey on fm2007 how does stadiums work?

can you continuisly keep expanding the stadium as you grow bigger? can you not build new stadiums?

is there a cap on how big your stadium can be? would you still be in the champions league with a 3 and a half k stadium?

EDIT**

I rememeber now. before i got barnet on 07 to 4th in the prem and eufa cup and won the fa cup. the stadium system was way better than 09. they started building me a new stadium and for a couple of years while they were building it I had to groundshare with charlton. that was a sick feature.

fm09s rubbish, one guy had just under 700mill in the bank and he couldn't get a decent stadium, thats more than f'ing WEMBLEY cost!

Thanks for the feedback again folks.

As for the 'Weegie' issue, I did consider asking to use their last FM 07 db when I originally started editing, but I thought that editing stats/CA/PA for all the players in the future would further increase the update time signficantly, which is the main reason why I elected to use the official db's as a base. It may mean I'm editing from further back in time but may still make things slightly faster in the long-run.

That's not to say the entire db will be identical of course; club and competition details have/will be changed, (sometimes via necessity, as Man United's debt is the latest thing the db has taken issue with.. :rolleyes::D) - finances, team reputations, kits (I've just edited in a batch of 09/10 season kits this weekend), competition names, etc. will be altered from the official db as I am fairly particular and don't want everything to be identical anyway.

As for FM07 questions, Golaxi, I'm afraid in all my years playing CM/FM (since CM '93 on the Amiga) I've never had a new stadium in the game.

I would presume in most FM games though that you can expand your stadium at certain points for as long as your club rep and board would allow. I don't know what a cap would be, I assume there may be one for grounds of realism, may be something to look at in the editor that one. :D

I rememeber now. before i got barnet on 07 to 4th in the prem and eufa cup and won the fa cup. the stadium system was way better than 09. they started building me a new stadium and for a couple of years while they were building it I had to groundshare with charlton. that was a sick feature.

fm09s rubbish, one guy had just under 700mill in the bank and he couldn't get a decent stadium, thats more than f'ing WEMBLEY cost!

Arf :D

Ground sharing, now that does sound like a pretty neat feature. :)

I think I've been too much a Premiership glory-hunter in my FM days. :D My all-time lower league glory was getting Rushden to the Prem via consecutive promotions in CM 02/03 on the X Box, the Prem year wasn't quite as triumphant though. :D

no seriously morrissey. they built me a new 32k seater stadium on 07. yea i was so amazed at the groundsharing thing. it was annoying though having to play dawn sawf for a year or 2. the extra dosh was nice handy though

yea most of the prem clubs can expand lots so they dont need new stadia. but when i was coming from the bottom of league 2 to suddenly being in europe a 3-5k stadium just wouldn't fit. it was the xbox360 version of 07 but as they kept telling us it was exactly the same game as the pc apart from the controls obviously.

so yes you do get new stadiums in 07. and unlike 09 you can even groundshare while its being built

lol That is good about the stadiums Golaxi, I've had exapansions in the past and presume that you can ask for one when the time is right, as long as your team is in the financial state to do so and the board are willing. But I've never had a groundshare that's for sure.

I stumbled upon a takeover for the first time last night too after sim testing a season on my 07 update for the first time, a former player-lead consortium wanted to take over Liverpool in June of the 2nd season. I didn't get to see it actually happen but I thought it was a great feature to see for the first time.

I added manager at Liverpool to see what would happen at the time and I liked how the chairman said along the lines of 'appreciates your patience with the issue of the future of the club' comment in the Board Room screen. :) although when I asked for more transfer funds then he still gave me another £30million! :D

Agreed.

In my opinion FM10 should have the FM07 with some graphical updates and as well the incorporating the International Management, transfer (from Transfer in FM07, a see above) upgrades.

im back on the old 07 aswell now. morrissey that new stadium is the same system as 09. in my 07 with barnet in the championship they are building me a new stadium even though i don't have the money, same as 09. they just take out some loans.

basically the new stadium system is exactly the same as 09. except if you really have to you groundshare while work is being done. so its just even better really but the same otherwise.

not sure it was the boards greatest short term decision though to be honest, they have too much ambition. now i somehow have to forkout almost half a mill a month in debts! they took out some massive loan. im in the championship, so i might have to get promoted to the prem to pay it all off i dont know. id have to sell a million pound player every two months lol.

will have to massively reduce the wage bill to survive aswell, plus still acheive enough success at the same time. hopefully they will restructure the debt at some point to more payable levels, i think they can do that. and they could get money from stadium sponsership.

the directors need sacking me thinks. In my old barnet game on 07 though it was alright. they were MUCH more sensible by waiting till i was actually in the prem before building a new stadium. If it doesn't all work out financially I hope a new owner takes over the club, at least that actually happens in 07.

scunthorpe are well lucky. theyve just been taken over by a rich cuban man

I going to make small proposition.

How many of you would sign one of these polls for data upgrade of FM07 (with an upgrade in number sub in the english competitions and data update) or FM08 (data update) from SI?

It just simply a suggestion.

i think the sub updates already happen at some future point in the game grade. cant say for def though but i remember it happening.

surely SI could make a simple database transferer so the new DB's could be transferred to the old games?

would save us all the trouble tbh.

yea i would sign an fm07 poll. not fm08 though, that game was as disgracefull as 09

I just edit my reply above, because Data update for FM07 and FM08 from SI.

I agree Golaxi with your opinion of FM08, but since this is thread about Fm07 and FM08, I thought wiser to include FM08 to the question.

definetily 07.. by far.. 08 just has too many flaws for me, and a really boring skin on top of that. Bad, bad regens, unbalanced home/away advantage, unrealistic transfer fees, horrible morale dips after a loss/bad result, too many annoying/useless media questions.

Both of them are suffering from the 4-2-4 syndrome, but this is way more severe on 08.

for me, 07 is actually the best ever and 08 is the baddest ever.

lol rich i understand but i think he said it would take ages coz hes doing it all from scratch. to be fair once you start the game up its still fun with an outdated database. infact alot of the stats are more realistic than 09! im in 2011 or something and the potential stars at the start that are now featuring are the ones that really are doing that well in real life. and in 09 theyre predictions were the opposite lol.

So the poll closed last week and FM07 was voted the game you most wanted to see as my update, thanks again to all those that voted. :)

Apologises for the slow update (at least by my standards as of late :D) since then, I've been pretty busy on the update; have just been adding alot of the recent big league transfers and editing more new season kits in tonight.

Hehe, I'm afraid it won't be arriving any time soon though sadly, rich, I'd love to have it out already but it's at a very early stage still.

Expect beta d/l's and pics in another 'official' update thread down the line though.

Archived