Pro Vercelli, Morton, Stade Riems

If this is posted in the wrong forum, please move it.

I am trying to compile a list of teams such as Pro Vercelli, Morton, Stade Riems - fallen "semi-giants," so to speak. All three of those teams spent some time as a power in their top division, but today is lounging in obscurity far from the top.

I am especially looking for some examples in South America and Mexico.

You'll want to have a look on Wikipedia. Look at the past league and cup winners lists of those countries, particularly in earlier years, and see which of them you don't recognise, and so check out if they're still exisitng in the lower divisions today.

In Belgium: Union SG

They still hold the third most championship titles an used to get decent results in international tournaments (pre WWI, WWII).

I guess you could find a whole bunch of clubs in the former USSR / DDR (Carl-Zeiss Jena) / ... that couldn't cope with capitalism (or without state-sponsorship) and have declined since the fall of the iron curtain.

Best English examples are probably Preston North End and Huddersfield Town - the former the first double winners, the latter the first team to win three league titles in a row.

In Germany, Rot Weiss Essen are former league winners (and a big city club) who've been nowhere near the top for decades. Dynamo Berlin are probably the most extreme example of the phenomenon CRM2009 mentions, along with Dukla Prague in the Czech Republic.

Archived