Holiday Mode -> Start when you're 25.

• Administrators

Does anybody do this?

Since I've had the odd game on FM09 since it came out, and with the end of the season now, I generally feel the game being out of date and all I would start a new career mode... As if it were really me.

In other words, I've started up with English Leagues down to BSN/BSS, and being just 20 at the moment, I have holidayed through to the 2013/14 season on my birthday in December. There weren't any sides on my birthday with jobs available that I fancied, so I holidayed through to June 25th and took over a newly promoted side - In my case, Oxford City (since it's my hometown club) and I am at the pretty age of 25, with Sunday League experience.

A particular advantage of this is that in my more casual games since the game comes out, starting up in this way basically renders any knowledge I have of games/players and I feel that the game 5 years into the future means I have to immerse myself into it. This might be seen as an obvious downside, but I prefer to leave player buying to my coaches and scouts.

Does anybody else use a similar approach?

I usually adopt a more extreme approach when the mood takes me. When i'm bored with the starting situtation I holiday until 2035 (which covers even the more extreme careers in football i.e. ages 15-38) and start from there.

I like the real players to be part of history, but then to see how the world has changed since.

Unfortunately this is more than a little time consuming. My very decent computer took four straight days/nights of processing to generate a 35(?)-league world with a large database on FM08.

I image it would take even longer on FM09.

You could just choose not to use real players. I always start at the beginning at my real age.

Don't they just change the names though?

Like you'd still be getting a Portuguese winger named Rolando or whatever at Man Utd.

In theory, the CAs (and therefore attributes), PAs and reputations are changed too. You will still get two Portuguese wingers at United, and they may well be called Rolando and MJ, but they could be only fit for the South African Inland Division.

However, the first and only time I used it, it only changed about half the names of the players, and even then they retained one name (Luke Messi was a stand out). Players with common names had some really bizarre ones. Seol was called "Pandi".

I don't have the age problem anymore (unfortunately!) but it is an interesting idea about holidaying into the future.

I've been tempted to go back to one of the old games lately. I might just do it and holiday into the future. Say, start 10 seasons in and take over from there.

Would make things interesting in terms of the players and the way that the footballing world may have changed during that time.

C.

Archived