When is it time to replace an aging Captain

Should I finally replace my 39 year old Captain?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Should I finally replace my 39 year old Captain?

• Yes
    • No

I'm currently being faced with a very difficult question, is it finally time for me to replace my Captain of 8 years who is currently closing on 1,000 appareances (in all competitions) for the club. At 39 I think it's about time to call it a day, and let a player who has for a very long time been the anoited one.

It's a very hard decision to make though. I'd rather leaving it for 2 more seasons and let my current Captain make his 1,000th game as Captain, but I'm not sure if he'll make it that long.

The other issue is that unlike the 26 year old who would replace him, my current Captain is neither favoured by the supporters, nor was he even my first choice. It was a makeshift Captain, that just sort of remained. I'm not even sure if my current Captain has even a good year left in him.

You can use him as back-up but keep him as captian. This will make sure he reaches his milestone of 1000 caps and also you can sign him on as a member of your staff when he retires. A player like him will normally be a good staff member seeing that he has a lot of expierence.

The biggest issue is that if he keeps on going, he'll likely be Captain until this other player is in his very late 20s or 30s. He also is hardly the most outstanding captain.

Though he has shown that he is one hell of a resolute figure. Managing to be so consistant since signing at 25 or 26 that I've never dropped him. Having only been injured 3 times in all that time, and not missing a single match due to injury (two were in the off season and one was only very minor). His continued good form has meant that 4 very promising keepers careers were pretty much ruined. His lastest challenger though might just end this 900 game run though, he's come in with one hell of a pedigree for a 22 year old.

I once felt very attached to a couple of players who had served my club a long time, one striker in particular who came through the youth academy and became my star player and captain at 22, which he held until the age of 37. Even though his stats were fading I kept playing him ahead of younger, more talented players and his goals dried up, my wins dried up, and I was sacked after 28 years of managing a club.

Moral of the story? Don't get emotionally attached to players that may have done well in the past, focus only on the present.

I'm currently being faced with a very difficult question, is it finally time for me to replace my Captain of 8 years who is currently closing on 1,000 appareances (in all competitions) for the club. At 39 I think it's about time to call it a day, and let a player who has for a very long time been the anoited one.

It's a very hard decision to make though. I'd rather leaving it for 2 more seasons and let my current Captain make his 1,000th game as Captain, but I'm not sure if he'll make it that long.

The other issue is that unlike the 26 year old who would replace him, my current Captain is neither favoured by the supporters, nor was he even my first choice. It was a makeshift Captain, that just sort of remained. I'm not even sure if my current Captain has even a good year left in him.

Noel Bailie at Linfield?

Well it looks like it's time for him to be captain then.

He has been playing for the club since he was 15 having scored roughly 200 goals in his 450 odd appearances (in all competitions). Plays around 50 games out of the normal 60+ a season, should be good.

There we go, he's now the new Captain and 70% of the squad are delighted, 10% are happy and the rest have apparently no opinion.

At least that's gone well.

My side is also being predicted to come 2nd? We won the league by a few miles last season!!

Oh well, give 'em hell Guignard!

It raises a bigger question. My captain is extremely popular and a great servant. However, his physical atts are start to depreciate noticeably and whilst he's fine against lesser opposition, his slowness is becoming a liability against the better. I'm thinking for next season should I do a 'Neville' and retain him as captain whilst resting him for many games, or should I replace him? In other words, is it important that your captain is on the pitch when a decent vice-captain can deputise?

I say keep him as captain if he's in your starting lineup, i recently signed a 37 year old keeper who's attributes made him club captain and moved my long standing record breaking striker to vice captain, but when he retires i will re asses the squad to see if anyone else will make a better captain the the striker, as the keeper has made my team go on one hell of a run.

It raises a bigger question. My captain is extremely popular and a great servant. However, his physical atts are start to depreciate noticeably and whilst he's fine against lesser opposition, his slowness is becoming a liability against the better. I'm thinking for next season should I do a 'Neville' and retain him as captain whilst resting him for many games, or should I replace him? In other words, is it important that your captain is on the pitch when a decent vice-captain can deputise?

I tend to ignore it when players physical stats begin to drop, I've found that their mental stats usually make up for any loss, unless of course their speed is less than 10, that's when I begin to think it's time to move on.

Now an even more epic battle is coming up for me. My former Captain and still first choice keeper, with 904 straight appearances (this is about to end) will now come head to head with his 22 year old replacement.

In other news, my new captain lead his side out for the first time in a 1-0 Community Shield win over Manchester City. A player who was once in contention for the position was sent off in the dying moments for a second yellow. The main man himself had a quiet game, but the side got their result.

At West Ham I made Mark Noble captain at 25 after he had amazing tutoring from a high-influence ex-captain, which bolstered the necessary mental stats. He was a perfect choice as nearly every player has him as "Feels he works well with Mark Noble" or even on preferred personnel

Despite a near silent first match of the season (in which we still won) his time as Captain is becoming better every second. He's stepping into a genuine Captain's role, and my former Captain was left on as Vice-Captain to be there when the team needs him still. He's performed well enough to keep his gloves... For now.

Speaking of a fantastic time as Captain though. A match that highlights the difference it has made to him, Champions League Group stage against Galatasaray. He scored a hattrick in the first half, before grabbing two more as the side sealed a memorable 8-0 thrashing. His 5 goal performance was the best performance any player has made under me yet, finally getting a 10.0 rating.

If he isn't in the first team anymore mate then it is time to replace him as captain. But if he is still in the first team, playing week in, week out, then I would personally keep him as captain.

Yeh that would be a good idea. Also you could try and retrain him in a different position or play him differently so he doesn't have too do as much running or require to be quick.

He's a centre back - running isn't his job anyway. He's good for the position for a while yet so long as the oppo forwards and lumbering. He can't cope with speed demons. I think I'll keep him as VC for a year or two until i'm sure my next best prospect has a full grasp of English and is fully integrated into the English team.

Archived