BUG: I've jus gone out of the League Cup...on AWAY GOALS.....AFTER EXTRA TIME!!??

First leg at home I beat Newcastle 3-1.

Second leg Newcastle are winning 2-0 at 90 mins so 3-3 on aggregate.

Extra time is played with no goals.

No penalties!

WTF?

I checked and double checked the rules. No mention of away goals rule (as I knew anyway) and even if there was an away goals rule, it would take effect at the end of 90 mins!

Anyone else had this problem?

Seriously raging.

:mad:

In the League Cup Away goals only apply after extra-time, from wikipedia:

Semi-finals

The four quarter-final winners compete in this round.

The ties are played over two matches (one at each club's stadium), with the aggregate score being used to determine the winners. If the scores are level at the end of the second match, extra time is played. If the scores are still level at the end of extra time, the team which has scored more away goals goes through. If the number of away goals is level, a penalty shootout is used to decide the winners.

In the League Cup Away goals only apply after extra-time, from wikipedia:

Well I stand corrected but that is the stupidsit rule I've ever seen. Where the hell the did they magic that one up from and since when has it been in place?

I checked and double checked the rules. No mention of away goals rule (as I knew anyway) and even if there was an away goals rule, it would take effect at the end of 90 mins!

You would think so would'nt you, But no the stupid FA made it so the away goals count after extra time. So sad but so true!

The only specification in the laws of the game is that away goal can be used to determine the outcome of a tie. Some competition uses it, some don't (e.g. CONMEBOL pre 2005, English league promotion playoffs post 2000).

As you have seen already, even those that do differs on how / when they apply it. UEFA use it both before & after extra time, CONCACAF uses it before but not after extra time, English League Club uses it after but not before.

Archived