why do so many ppl hate the 3d match??

i dont understand why so many ppl hate the 3d match. personally i think its very good, u can see clearly whats going on much better than dots.

just curious but are the ppl who dont like the 3d match engine coming to that conclusion after only a few games and having poor results so they take it out on the 3d or have they done a few seasons and still dont like it because ive been benifca for 3 seasons and im starting my 4th season and i think ive finally built myself a team capable of winning the league this season and the 3d match engine is still very good.

I like it, although my only prefernce for the dots at the present time being that the 3-d seems to be very intensive for my laptop. Whilst not pushing the system requirements, it tends to overheat the system and make it cut out quite often.

I don't like it because:

- The pitch looks disgusting

- The players look tatty and so do their animations

- You can see ME failures much more on 3D and your imagination can't cover it.

That one 100%. Hit the nail on the head pete. Hopefully FM2010 will have improved animations, and improved optimisation aswell.

I think it works fairly well but it should have looked at least as good as the last LMA game's 3D display even if that meant a lot of people wouldn't have been able to run it. I was actually quite excited watching my wingers charging up the wing and crossing the ball into the penalty area in search for an equalizer (which never came of course! :( Much better than 2D.

i'm a great fan iof 3d.for me the play is fluent and i feel more realism from seeing little men than i ever would from seeing dots roaming around a pitch.

3d is fm's first attempt so all things considered that is petty good.

i dont understand why so many ppl hate the 3d match. personally i think its very good, u can see clearly whats going on much better than dots.

just curious but are the ppl who dont like the 3d match engine coming to that conclusion after only a few games and having poor results so they take it out on the 3d or have they done a few seasons and still dont like it because ive been benifca for 3 seasons and im starting my 4th season and i think ive finally built myself a team capable of winning the league this season and the 3d match engine is still very good.

Until recently I liked it and "loved it" but I have seen 1 too many instance of the keeper when totally not under pressure heading the ball and falling over giving away a freak goal. Have never seen this in real life and it spoilt a whole save game for me. Am playing CM0102 now but until then FM09 was may fave Footy management "game " (it is NOT a Simulation!) ever.

Do any stadiums show?

No, you have a choice between a load of grey and a load of green.

Also, you can't see what's going on as well. You can't see your defenders when you attack, you can't see if a player is unmarked on the other side of the pitch, and so forth.

There are many reasons for me, mainly the following:

1) 3D doesn't actually look very good at all.

2) It doesn't add anything to the experience in my opinion.

3) I like to see the whole pitch at once, which you can't do with 3D.

4) 3D stutters on my machine and puts a lot of strain on my laptop.

5) I think I can get more from the tactical side of the game when using 2D, for instance, by having a better idea of player movement etc.

6) The goals are a disappointment compared to 2D, where goals can look awesome.

7) I just don't think 3D mode looks like football.

8) I see everything I want to see in 2D classic mode already and it looks a lot better.

9) The dots have become iconic and I can't really imagine playing in any other mode.

10) The 3D seems more repetitive to me and more 'limited', where 2D seems to have more scope for variation.

11) I don't like the fact that 3D makes the game more PC intensive than it needs to be.

12) I see 3D as a surface feature that adds little to the game apart from slowing it down and making it bloated.

13) The 3D pitches look horrible.

14) The actual player actions are, in many cases, less clear than in 2D.

15) Finally, and most importantly, I get more of an imagination factor from watching 2D.

I didn't come to this decision lightly, either. I played around 2 or 3 full seasons in 3D and really gave it a chance.

Suddenly, as I was testing out a new tactic, I realised that I was much better able to see player movement in 2D classic mode. Then it occurred to me that the football looked better and that the goals were much superior. I compared some goals scored in 3D and then in 2D and realised that they looked so much better in 2D. At this point, I started playing regularly in 2D again and I realised how much I had missed it. Something was missing prior to that from the match experience and I wasn't enjoying it as much. Trouble with FM09 2D classic is that it is not at all as good as on previous versions though. :(

C.

^^^^^^^^^^ that

also with 2D gameplay on fm08 the match looked like a realistic football match. With 3D it seems to have changed the gameplay altogether and ruins it for me. Examples are hitting the post much too regularly, to many goals are amazing powered longshots which makes them less spectacular, goalkeepers making saves but not looking like they were anywhere near the ball. It just doesn't look like real football at all and in the end I have to use my imagination MORE to try and imagine how that moment could've possibly happened in real life.

i play in 3D but after reading through this thread i think i might give 2D another chance. i tried it at the start but wasnt a great fan of the way this years 2D looked (i know theres not a lot there to go wrong) and i do like watching the 3D but i think i'll give 2D another chance.

I did like the 3D match engine at first, although when I realised that switching it off would speed up my game time considerably I switched it off and haven't looked back since.

Saying that, if improvements were made to the 3D next year I may consider using it again.

I have no problems with 3d. PC can handle it fine. Prefer 2d as you can see the whole pitch. It's a very basic start for 3d but you have to start somewhere and I'm sure once it is improved in future versions I will switch back to it.

They act like foozball players do only they aren't restricted to horizontal movement.

Fifa Manager is MUCH MUCH nicer to look at but a shittier game. I think they should've stuck with the dots til they got a reasonable 3D engine. I've yet to use it on my pc even though I can run it without any problems.

A mix of Fifa Manager cosmetic features (such as 3D and buying things with manager wages) and Football manager (database and AI) would make for one hell of a management game.

**** thing is it would have to be one hell of large game. The amount of memory it would take up would be off putting. Then again I could be wrong.

I have no problems with 3d. PC can handle it fine. Prefer 2d as you can see the whole pitch. It's a very basic start for 3d but you have to start somewhere and I'm sure once it is improved in future versions I will switch back to it.

You can see nearly all of the pitch if you play elevated view

They act like foozball players do only they aren't restricted to horizontal movement.

Is that an Americanism of 'table football'? If so, I am with you on that one.

A mix of Fifa Manager cosmetic features (such as 3D and buying things with manager wages) and Football manager (database and AI) would make for one hell of a management game.

No, no, no, no, no! :p

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Playability over shiny surface features every time please SI.

C.

Is that an Americanism of 'table football'? If so, I am with you on that one.

No, no, no, no, no! :p

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Playability over shiny surface features every time please SI.

C.

Although if you take Fifa Managers 3D match engine and put it in Football Manager..... ;)

Until recently I liked it and "loved it" but I have seen 1 too many instance of the keeper when totally not under pressure heading the ball and falling over giving away a freak goal. Have never seen this in real life and it spoilt a whole save game for me. Am playing CM0102 now but until then FM09 was may fave Footy management "game " (it is NOT a Simulation!) ever.

Enjoy :

:p

I like the 3D view and always use it but I completely agree that it needs huge improvement as a lot of the animations are just bizarre, e.g. passing and shooting at times seem to be off the outside of the foot or toe-poked, fouls are still hard to make out, as theres only one animation for a player being fouled to the ground and sometimes its not even actually a foul and its tbh generally quite tacky looking but I'm all for the 3D view staying and looking forward to seeing how they've improved in FM2010.

That one 100%. Hit the nail on the head pete. Hopefully FM2010 will have improved animations, and improved optimisation aswell.

Yep I agree 100%, not to mention the constant glitches, lag and well it just plays and looks crap, I only use the 2D option.

I was actually happy with the previous 2D visualisation of the match engine for the previous releases and the added 3D feature didn't have any influence on my decision to purchase FM09. "If I don't like it, I know I can switch back to 2D" was my original opinion. Well, I have to say that even in it's fairly raw state without patches, I felt it was a great addition to the game, basic as it is graphically by comparison to other games.

I think half the problem has been expectation. How many posts do we read from people saying it would be better with "FIFA style" graphics etc...

Like anything newly implemented, it will get better with time. I actually remember there was a similar response to the "dots" when they first appeared... now there's a whole thread devoted to them! :D

So the 3D gets a thumbs up from me.

two%2520thumbs%2520up.jpeg

Like anything newly implemented, it will get better with time. I actually remember there was a similar response to the "dots" when they first appeared... now there's a whole thread devoted to them! :D

So the 3D gets a thumbs up from me.

Indeed there was.

I was one of those people who never played the fm series before it had the 'dots' I just couldnt get into text only commentary and I remember old fans saying the game was 'ruined' by the dots, now people are campaigning to keep them... how times change.

Personally I love the 3d engine, it definately needs work and some extra 'fluff' added like stadiums but its a great addition and reinvigorated my interest in FM after i lost interest totally with FM08.

My decision to purchase FM09 was because they'd introduced the 3d Match Engine. I remember waaaay back in the 90s (umm... or was it the late 80s?), Anco's Player Manager, based on Kick Off on the Amiga (ok, showing my age here).

Basically Anco took the Kick-off Match Engine anbd built a decent, if a little rudimentary, management game around it. And it was brilliant, because you could see what your team was actually doing. I've been waiting for a decent management game with a 3d match engine ever since (well ok, I wasn't holding my breath or anything).

Can't believe it has took SI so long to do, but it is a great addition - flawed, yes - improved in 9.3.0, yes - slightly broken in other areas in 9.3.0, yes... but overall it's a good addition and I wouldn't bother with the game without it. I want to see what effect my tactics are having on the pitch, and I get much more of a feel for the different types of player in my team by watching them play, and obviously I know how my tactics are performing (though I accept you would know this in 2d).

The big addition is the realism of additional personality of your players and more just general football match realism. And it will only get better in time - more animations, etc, improved animations too.

I'd also offer SI another tip - go and play Anco's Player Manager and err.... 'borrow' the tactics designer from it!

It was flipping genius. A proper tactics editor (Si's isn't bad, but Anco had it nailed - certainly as to guiding your players as to their position on the field at any particular moment in time, rather than relying on a lot of hard-coding for this - you would never be limited to 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3 etc... you just designed your own system, full stop... much less emphasis on 'fixed' positions). Does anyone else remember this tactics editor so fondly, or should I get my coat? :-D

Well, you've posted a Youtube example from a real match... your goalie is doing it in the 3D view of the match engine?

Suggests it's pretty realistic to me then! ;)

no my keeper doesn't make that mistake. he makes an even more bizzare one lots even though he has around 20 handling.

heres what happens every so often.

their keeper does a long kick straight to mine (GREAT MATCH ENGINE SI!). my keeper rushes towards the ball franticly (MORE GREAT MATCH ENGINE SI!) and throws the ball behind him! usually resulting in a goal.

not sure how anyone can say thats realistic even WITH match fixing.

and that dodgy foreign league im sure is victim of match fixing as someone already said.

why are you defending bad parts of the game? do you even play the game or do you just post on here defending it? how old are you? 12?

if you are im sorry for being rude

I dont hate 3D, I actually like it. As one of the people that voiced his concern over it being in FM09 it surely has grown on me.

Sure theres a lot to do but Im hoping FM10 will be better. I dont think it needs to be fully flashy graphics yet, I think it just needs to work properly.

Archived