Pay after 50 games?

I was wondering, having just completed a deal for Kevin Doyle, with £10 million paid after 50 games, whether if I sold him before the 50 games was completed I would not have to pay the money?

Sorry if that sounds grammatically stupid, I'm tired :) Thanks for bearing with me.

"I thought this was discussed before and the conclusion that we arrived at was the club would have to pay all of the clauses as soon as the player leaves the club?"

Only if the rules have changed in the last few years. I recall a couple of cases around the turn of the millennium where players were sold specifically to avoid triggering such an additional fee (I'm pretty sure one involved an ex-Luton player, sorry I can't remember more details). Understandably, the clause diminished in popularity. In real life I think add-on fees tend to be more complex affairs nowadays, linked to club success where the player is involved (e.g. Rooney, Walcott), and with a decent amount guaranteed plus a sell-on percentage.

Rangers didn't play Michael Ball because if he played one more game they would have had to pay some money to Everton and sold him. This is the only case I know if at the moment. I'd imagine the game works in the same way.

Rangers didn't play Michael Ball because if he played one more game they would have had to pay some money to Everton and sold him. This is the only case I know if at the moment. I'd imagine the game works in the same way.

Apparently this is the case with Bentley at Tottenham at the moment,which is why Redknapp didn't give him a sniff of action in the last month or so of the season

Obvious exploit is obvious...

It's also hilarious how many clubs accept these silly bids. Like 100 million after 50 games - then sell him for a profit by not playing him in 50 games.

Archived