Football Manager 2009 Regens Problem

Im sorry but i think in my opinion regens spoil the game. Dont you think the researchers should actually go down to these academys or school of excellences of the clubs such as blackburn rovers man utd and man city and put these young players to come on instead of regens ????? All views and reasons I would like please :D

yes there are some regens who are brilliant almost instantly we're talking when they are 17, 18 though there are also regens who become equally brilliant over a number of seasons, which in my opinion implements real life football perfectly.

For instance, Aguero, Bojan, Ronaldo, Messi all amazing players from a very young age?

Rooney, Bentley, Ashley Young potentially all as good however weren't AS brilliant to start with and are healthily progressing season by season .

yes but think of it, theywere all at very big clubs for the exception of everton ;) ha o.j but you get me. some of the regens come from very low league clubs

but that happens in real life, quite often a good player will start at a lower club and be signed up to a big club

yes but think of it, theywere all at very big clubs for the exception of everton ;) ha o.j but you get me. some of the regens come from very low league clubs

Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero did not start their careers at big clubs (i am considering Independiente as a smaller club compared to Atletico)

but that happens in real life, quite often a good player will start at a lower club and be signed up to a big club

a la Luke Freeman and co.

the whole point is that sooner or later you're going to have to implement regens, unless you put a fixed end date on the game

Messi moved to Barca at 13. I would consider that as starting there.

Also, if he had stayed at Newell's none of us would have heard of him - he would never have made it due to his growth problems which they wouldn't pay to fix. Barca paid to fix his health problems which is why he moved there and loves the club so much.

Messi moved to Barca at 13. I would consider that as starting there.

Also, if he had stayed at Newell's none of us would have heard of him - he would never have made it due to his growth problems which they wouldn't pay to fix. Barca paid to fix his health problems which is why he moved there and loves the club so much.

JT was at Wet Spam at the age of 11 so why not start at that age (oh wait, because its a ridiculous idea).

The Messi thing is a whole other debate, granted he would/may (his dad had plenty of jobs to try to pay for the treatment) be smaller than he is now, but height doesnt come into the fact that he has amazing technical ability and may have still been pretty darn successful (Maximilliano Moralez springs to mind, he's around 5ft2/3 and doesnt have messi's ability)

Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero did not start their careers at big clubs (i am considering Independiente as a smaller club compared to Atletico)

Indepediente is, if not bigger, at least as big as Atletico tbh.

Eventhough there are cases like Ronaldo (São Cristovão) and Romario (Olaria), i do agree that there are many regens with high PA coming from random clubs.

PS: Both São Cristovão and Olaria are located in Rio, which is a big factory of good players. And AFAIK neither of them actually played for those clubs, as they debuted in professional football at big clubs: Cruzeiro and Vasco respectively.

And if by Ronaldo you mean Cristiano Ronaldo, he did start at a big club (Sporting CP), eventhough he played earlier in his life for Maritimo or something.

JT was at Wet Spam at the age of 11 so why not start at that age (oh wait, because its a ridiculous idea).

The Messi thing is a whole other debate, granted he would/may (his dad had plenty of jobs to try to pay for the treatment) be smaller than he is now, but height doesnt come into the fact that he has amazing technical ability and may have still been pretty darn successful (Maximilliano Moralez springs to mind, he's around 5ft2/3 and doesnt have messi's ability)

He said, in one of the interview before the Euro final, that the doctors told him he'd definitely never make it to 5 foot.

A 4 foot 8 player is pretty much going to get flattened if he's not careful.

As is, I don't think Messi would survive long in the Premiership - not because he's not good enough, obviously, but because he'd get kicked to pieces by Stoke and the like.

He has got surprising strength though, for a nipper. It's amazing the number of times that defenders try and bundle him over and end up flat on their arses (although that may be partly down to his supreme balance)

On-topic: I don't think that the regen system is too bad actually. Perhaps the development of some players is a bit too quick - haven't really encountered a Zidane yet (developing early, but peaking late)

For the original poster its the lesser of two evils. Would you rather have regen players or John Terry playing until he is 100 years old? Also, the researchers already look at hundreds of thousands of players and asking them to check out youth academies would probably work but FM10 would not be released for another couple of years;)

Whats wrong with the regens? There are some problems from what I've seen but nothing that really spoils my game.

Starting to add real players from a younger age is a problem because there would have to be far more researchers and the database would just grow and grow.

As it is, players under the age of 16 before a certain date aren't allowed in. They can't even be added at a later point in the game (the Arsenal researcher enquired as to whether Afobe could be added in the way you describe- not legally allowed).

Also, note that researchers are unpaid- forcing them to research really young kids is going to really strain some of them. At a lot of clubs, you aren't allowed to watch the youth teams unless you are family or a family vouch for you.

And like i said earlier if you did take all the kids youth academies there is a problem. Kids have a nasty habit of growing up meaning they would only be for 15 seasons or so meaning regens would be needed.

The furthest I have got in a single save is about 4-5 seasons so I cannot vouch for long term regen trends, but I have noticed a few issues with the regens that have come through in my saves.

The biggest issue I have noticed is that game start players of PA 190+ have very few faults or important weaknesses for their position. They may be slightly deficient in a few attributes, such as Technical ability for Essien or Physical ability for Fabregas, but they are otherwise incredibly solid all-round players. Regens of PA 190+ however suffer almost universally from one or two critical deficiencies in key attributes for their position that cannot be repaired by any amount of training or mentoring. The usual suspects are Anticipation, Decisions, Determination and Consistency. I have yet to see a Regen that was not stunted to a high degree in one of those four attributes, and this means they can never achieve the same degree of potency as game start high PA players.

Please note that I am running over 50 active leagues from 17 nations in my current save, and in my last regen intake there was not a single player that had the basic attribute levels both displayed and hidden to match the all-round performances of game start PA 190+ players. When you consider that Fabregas for example has almost the perfect Mental and Technical Attributes for a midfield playmaker, yet also has Consistency 16 and Important Matches of 17 then the problem is obvious. It is not that a new Fabregas does not crop up every season, it is that the chances of any player turning up with the adequate attributes to be equal to game start 190+ PA players is tiny. There is always some critical deficiency that simply does not exist in the game start players.

The process of regenerating players cannot produce players of an equal level of overall balance and positional strength as the custom built game start players.

I feel they just need tweaking for the next game. They are a great improvement on the FM08 regens but certain areas need addressed:

Natural Fitness

Agility for Goalkeepers, lack of good goalkeepers (eg. They don't get high CA at other clubs)

Player footness - Separate issue that has been discussed with 'Right/Left Only' players having far greater stats than a two footed player.

All in all, I need regens as Im a long term career gamer

• 5 months later...
I am totally disgusted that SI once again has left long term players in the cold. They have never got the regens rights, always the same problem with untrainable key attributes and horrible hidden stats. I will NOT buy 2010.

Where have you heard of these issues for FM10?

Archived