Career Earnings

On the manager information page it tells you how much money you have earned in your career but you can't do anything with it so i'm just taking £155,000 from my team each week and doing nothing with it so i'd prefer to be paid nothing so the club has more money. I think it would be good if you could use this money to maybe buy a club and become your own chairman (Niall Quinn at Sunderland) or maybe buy a lower league team and continue to manage a big club. I have £8.75m in the bank with that i could buy a Blue Square team and do well with them. I think this would be a welcome improvement to the game.

It's been suggested many a time, but really, what advantages would there be of adding it? Buying the side would be boring, a chairman does little that would excite a gamer- sacking managers and setting budgets will get tiring very quickly.

I'm actually not sure £8.75m will get you very far tbh...

On the manager information page it tells you how much money you have earned in your career but you can't do anything with it so i'm just taking £155,000 from my team each week and doing nothing with it so i'd prefer to be paid nothing so the club has more money. I think it would be good if you could use this money to maybe buy a club and become your own chairman (Niall Quinn at Sunderland) or maybe buy a lower league team and continue to manage a big club. I have £8.75m in the bank with that i could buy a Blue Square team and do well with them. I think this would be a welcome improvement to the game.

You don't have £8.75M in the bank. You've paid 50% income tax on this, so you're down to £4.375m. 10%ish National Insurance, so down to £3.5M. Less holidays, food £200k = £3.3M. Less the £2.5M house in Alderley Edge = £800K. Less the Bentley Continental, school fees, Versace clothes, investments in Icelandic banks £500K = £350k. Less alcohol (Alex Ferguson, anyone ?) = £300k. Less the cleaner, nanny, gardener, security fees = £200K. Less the pay-off once your wife finds out about the mistress £500k = debt of £300k. Try buying a club with that.

Seen this suggested before, and it would actually be my dream addition to the game. You could easily buy a League One side for GBP8.75m, and have plenty to spare to invest in players. I know this wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, but I could see many people enjoying it.

You don't have £8.75M in the bank. You've paid 50% income tax on this, so you're down to £4.375m. 10%ish National Insurance, so down to £3.5M. Less holidays, food £200k = £3.3M. Less the £2.5M house in Alderley Edge = £800K. Less the Bentley Continental, school fees, Versace clothes, investments in Icelandic banks £500K = £350k. Less alcohol (Alex Ferguson, anyone ?) = £300k. Less the cleaner, nanny, gardener, security fees = £200K. Less the pay-off once your wife finds out about the mistress £500k = debt of £300k. Try buying a club with that.

My money is paid into a Monaco bank account (isn't that were most prem players have banks?), so I pay negligable income tax and national insurance. I fancy running a Football club, so i live in a 100,000 semi, I love the environment so I only drive a Smart car. I'm a tee-total vegatarian who shops at Matalan, and god damnit I'm buying Accrington Stanley. :-p

Great post White Flag! :)

My pleasure. It's amazing what an hour sat in the sun with a pint of Stella followed by 4 bottles of Corona and a Hoegaarden chaser does for the thought process. As I said before : Alex Ferguson, anyone ?

Goodnight.

That's not generally how income tax works.

If you're earning say, £150k a year, 50% (or the highest tax band) will only be on maybe £100k+. This means that all earning up to that point will be in lower tax bands (0%, 20% etc). 50% doesn't mean once you get to a certain point, all your income is taxed at that, only the income above that band is. In reality, the post-tax wage would be much higher; more like £6M or 7M, depending on the wage vs time. If it's earnt over 20 years the retained post-tax will be considerably greater than if over 2 years. That's assuming that the wage is pre-tax anyway, rather than set at a level where your 'wage' is what you actually have post-tax. The rest of your post makes sense though. :p

Does this count as economics revision, by the way? :D

i earned £8.75m in less than 1.5 seasons so if i've been playing for 5 seasons i'd probs end up with around 50-75m, taking into account pay rises, more than enough to buy a league 1 football club even after tax and living costs.

That's not generally how income tax works.

If you're earning say, £150k a year, 50% (or the highest tax band) will only be on maybe £100k+. This means that all earning up to that point will be in lower tax bands (0%, 20% etc). 50% doesn't mean once you get to a certain point, all your income is taxed at that, only the income above that band is. In reality, the post-tax wage would be much higher; more like £6M or 7M, depending on the wage vs time. If it's earnt over 20 years the retained post-tax will be considerably greater than if over 2 years. That's assuming that the wage is pre-tax anyway, rather than set at a level where your 'wage' is what you actually have post-tax. The rest of your post makes sense though. :p

Does this count as economics revision, by the way? :D

Now you are just getting picky. And to think I forgot about the £1.5M holiday home in Florida........

But 155k/ week is significantly over the 145k / year top band. so say you keep with entire first 145 k (to simplify) you still have to pay half the rest of your millions in earnings that year.

so, 145K + (51*155/2) = 4 million ish per year, down from 8.

But 155k/ week is significantly over the 145k / year top band. so say you keep with entire first 145 k (to simplify) you still have to pay half the rest of your millions in earnings that year.

so, 145K + (51*155/2) = 4 million ish per year, down from 8.

Yeah. I was just being picky about the fact that the original post stated that 50% income tax would mean you only keep half your total earnings, which is somewhat untrue. :thup::)

i suppose for this to work you'd have to retire your manager when you become chairman, suppose you control everything, then you add a 2nd manager and go to your club or elsewhere and check out Mr Graham Turner, he has just resigned as manager of Hereford but is still chairman, he was manager that became chairman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Turner

Archived