A question about goalkeepers

Hey all.

Ive been playing FM now since it first got a graphics engine (couldnt get into the pure text versions) Im no guru by any means, im a pretty casual/lazy player but I know my way around the game fairly well in most areas.

EXCEPT that is for goalkeepers.

I think in all the games Ive ever played Ive never replaced my first team GK unless they were totally incompetent.

Im playing 'money bags city' in my current save and im thinking of replacing Joe Hart as he isnt particularly great, but I have no clue if its going to have a huge impact on my performances as when I check the stats of AI goalies they have better stats than him but conced more goals.

Now obviously this has alot to do with the quality of the team playing in front of them, which is kinda what im asking.

If i buy some top rated GK is it really going to have a big enough impact on my squad to warrant the cash im going to spend.

Joe Hart last season played 38 league games, conceeded 22 and got 20 clean sheets, which is pretty good but more down to my defenders and tactics than Joe Hart himself.

Basically Ive always been dubious about signing GKs as I think they are the most random factor in any team and I kinda go with the 'better the devil you know' theory.

So what do you all think, do better rated GKs really have a big impact. Im looking at signing one of the following:

Rene Adler

Steve Mandana

F Guillermo Ochoa

Juan Pablo Carrizo

Igor Akinfeev

They all rate higher than Joe Hart but will all set me back a fair amount of cash, are any of them worth it??

Hey all.

Ive been playing FM now since it first got a graphics engine (couldnt get into the pure text versions) Im no guru by any means, im a pretty casual/lazy player but I know my way around the game fairly well in most areas.

EXCEPT that is for goalkeepers.

I think in all the games Ive ever played Ive never replaced my first team GK unless they were totally incompetent.

Im playing 'money bags city' in my current save and im thinking of replacing Joe Hart as he isnt particularly great, but I have no clue if its going to have a huge impact on my performances as when I check the stats of AI goalies they have better stats than him but conced more goals.

Now obviously this has alot to do with the quality of the team playing in front of them, which is kinda what im asking.

If i buy some top rated GK is it really going to have a big enough impact on my squad to warrant the cash im going to spend.

Joe Hart last season played 38 league games, conceeded 22 and got 20 clean sheets, which is pretty good but more down to my defenders and tactics than Joe Hart himself.

Basically Ive always been dubious about signing GKs as I think they are the most random factor in any team and I kinda go with the 'better the devil you know' theory.

So what do you all think, do better rated GKs really have a big impact. Im looking at signing one of the following:

Rene Adler

Steve Mandana

F Guillermo Ochoa

Juan Pablo Carrizo

Igor Akinfeev

They all rate higher than Joe Hart but will all set me back a fair amount of cash, are any of them worth it??

Akinfeev is class,not sure about the others though,ive got igor in my game and he keeps clean sheets fairly regularly.

For player recommendations, look in Good Player and Team Guide.

In general, I think that a better goalkeeper will improve the side, but if you have a great defence, you can get away with a good but not great goalkeeper.

Archived