Extreme Slowness problem

OKay

Recently got FM09 For my PC and have installed it through steam, without any major concerns, I loaded it.

Got on the title screen and went to prefrences screen. I saw the cursor change to a ball then back into the cursor but the same screen appeared on my computer. I had to minimize FM and then wait for 2 mins before re opening FM and see my preferences screen. This happens with every single click I have made.

These are my specs,

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.1GHz

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 269MB used, 2194MB available

I have also changed my virtual RAM to 2000 but with a positive impact on the computer i general FM is still the same.

I seem to be in the minimum requirments but can't seem to do anything.

Any tips?

Thanks guys for your replies.

The Problem is RAM I think. I only have 1024mb (1GB) of it and by reading your posts it's not enough.

My next question is then how do I make more RAM availdable on the computer? Do I have to Delete programs and the like?

Thanks guys for your replies.

The Problem is RAM I think. I only have 1024mb (1GB) of it and by reading your posts it's not enough.

My next question is then how do I make more RAM availdable on the computer? Do I have to Delete programs and the like?

i played before i got my Mac on a 1.73GHz 1GB laptop, and it was perfectly fine tbh, its usually a combination of tihngs. Google 'increasing virtual RAM' and try increasing that

Right guys still basiclly the same.. I will try to see if it peters out when I go into a game.

Followed the instructions on the link above

Changed it to 3500RAM Did I do right?

Sorry I'm such a novice about computers guys

wouldn't go that far, maybe 1.5x or 2x your ram (which i'm guessing is 1024).

Also, it may be worth getting hold of CCleaner as thats a nifty little tool for getting rid of crap clogging up your computer (but a lot less time consuming than a defrag).

And ignore the more RAM until you've tried everything else, because lets face it, nobody wants to spend money

Right changed RAM back down to 2000 I have seen an increse in the computer aspects. But no change in the FM department I'm afraid.

I may try CCleaner now.

Or should I change my RAM back down to 1500? EDIT: More Info Up Top now bit more relevant to my situation.

• 2 weeks later...

No one can. Your computer is old and FM is pretty much the most cpu demanding (read: wasting) game on the market by a few orders of magnitude.

I hope you are using a small database and are only loading one or maybe two leagues at once. Also disable detail levels for pretty much all the competitions.

You only have 1 gig of ram so be careful what other applications you are running at the same time because once the computer runs out of ram its going to start swapping like mad. And thats going to be reaaaaaly slow. (you can check your mem usage in task manager. if your peak commit charge is larger than the amount of ram you are in real trouble)

The only realistic solution is either play some older version of FM or buy a new computer.

Can anyone help me on this problem?

Small database

Minimum number of leagues and divisions.

Detail level set to minimum on all leagues

Close all background programs that are running while FM is on

Make sure that your virus checker and/or spyware checker are not running in real time with the game

No one can. Your computer is old and FM is pretty much the most cpu demanding (read: wasting) game on the market by a few orders of magnitude.

I hope you are using a small database and are only loading one or maybe two leagues at once. Also disable detail levels for pretty much all the competitions.

You only have 1 gig of ram so be careful what other applications you are running at the same time because once the computer runs out of ram its going to start swapping like mad. And thats going to be reaaaaaly slow. (you can check your mem usage in task manager. if your peak commit charge is larger than the amount of ram you are in real trouble)

The only realistic solution is either play some older version of FM or buy a new computer.

I fear you mat be right .

I was already looking into a new computer and this will hopegully speed it up a bit.

Ah - general game-industry (and, I suspect, software industry) problem.

"Minimum Spec" is the "Look, we guarantee that we tested it with this spec, but you may have to have infinite patience" computer.

"Recommended Spec" is the "Minimum spec to have a good experience, and to get the most out of the application."

I'm not defending that; its just my experience - and it holds true across multiple companies, applications, etc.

Archived