Found a way to get it in window mode if it's greyed out.

Step 1) Start a new save file that you don't want to keep.

Step 2) Do something, like make a transfer.

Step 3) Save the game.

Step 4) Turn off your computer using the actual computer's power switch. with the game still open.

Step 5) Turn on your computer and go on FM09.

Step 6) Try and open the save file that you started.

Step 7) You should get something telling you the save file couldn't load. Then, the game should go into window mode.

Worked for me, couldn't get windowed mode to work and this worked a treat. Turned the game off via the computer's power switch and it wouldn't load :)

What a stupid thing to suggest.

1) This is unlikely to work anyway, I have knocked the power cable out of my laptop a few times with FM and havent had a problem loading a game.

2) You could damage your PC or corrupt your data by doing what you suggest.

I must say but just closing the PC down without following the correct procedure can be dangerous.

To play in window mode I merely amended the shortcut by adding

Please note that as the vast majority of our users are English speaking that we ask that you post in English. This will enable the community to discusss your post or to help you out if you are asking a question.

-window -small_screen

This worked a treat for me.

2) You could damage your PC.

I must say but just closing the PC down without following the correct procedure can be dangerous.

Turning a PC off via power switch won't damage the hardware as it technically still cuts off the power like it would if you followed the normal shutdown procedure, just without killing the processes off first. If you have no other programs running and no unsaved work that could be lost then you will be fine if you just turn it off. As mentioned though this method is kind of pointless since the -window shortcut works just fine.

DO NOT DO THIS!! My old computer was really slow, so once when I couldn't be bothered to wait ten minutes for FM07 to close I decided to just turn off the computer. When I wanted to play FM again, I got all sorts of errors when I tried to load the game, when I tried to start a new season, when I tried to load a game... basically FM was completely knackered, but luckely it was only a month or so until FM 08 came out

It may not damage the hardware but it is very possible to do damage to the software on your PC, even Windows.

I would avoid this and just use the shortcut method posted above.

Archived