Has anyone ever started unemployed and never got a job?

I think I have, I've been on holiday for almost two years now

I had past experience set to 'automatic'.... what does this mean am I buggered never to get a job?

I start unemployed all the time but this one doesn't seem to have taken off, any hope?

I'm very surprised that you haven't been offered anything, I normally like to start unemployed and automatic and usually easily get a job at Blue Square Premeir or North/South level.

It certainly is possible to set up a league and user-manager who will never get a job offer.

c.f.:

I managed it... I loaded just the EPL and set my experience to sunday league. Suffice it to say i gave up after about 5 seasons.

The case there is pretty clear: no EPL club is going to offer some complete unknown their managerial position. The user-manager's reputation isn't high enough to get the job.

This is the way to ensure that you don't wind up in that boat:

If you're going to start unemployed, setting your rep to automatic should guarantee you a high enough rep to get a job.

In that case, your reputation is set high enough to be able to get a job with the lowest active club(s) in the save-game.

Though it sounds like, with all English leagues loaded, you should have avoided that trap anyway.

What reputation is your user, and what was his nationality? I suppose I could see it if, say, you selected "St. Kitts" as your nationality; if nobody in England has heard of you and you aren't English, it might be tough to get that job?

Here's another idea - you might simply start another (also unemployed) user into the same save-game with an English nationality and a similar or slightly higher reputation. Continue holidaying until one gets a job. Play that one, and "Retire" the other.

I managed it... I loaded just the EPL and set my experience to sunday league. Suffice it to say i gave up after about 5 seasons.

I thought that was impossible, doesn't the game limit the past experience choices according to the leagues loaded?

No, because you can happily choose sunday league rep and select a team and install yourself as manager when you create the profile. Just don't expect to get another job if you get fired or resign before you get that rep up. :D

I thought that was impossible, doesn't the game limit the past experience choices according to the leagues loaded?

Nope - it limits the selection-range for Reputation:Automatic, but doesn't adjust the values available for user input.

Started unemployed. Been at Potenza 1 relegation(were bottom when we took over) 1 Promotion, Bristol Rovers underachieved resigned, Gillingham underachieved resigned, Now at Cameroon and League 1 Bournemouth

Nope - it limits the selection-range for Reputation:Automatic, but doesn't adjust the values available for user input.

Must have been FM08 I was thinking of then, I'm sure I've seen greyed out reputations on that screen before.

Must have been FM08 I was thinking of then, I'm sure I've seen greyed out reputations on that screen before.

I thought this was the case for FM09 as well? I've just tried creating a new game with only the EPL loaded and Sunday League Football and Semi-Professional footballer are both greyed out.

Edit: Beat me to it.

• 3 months later...

I got a job straight away as a sunday league manager with Altrincham I think it was. They were in financial trouble and had about six first-team players, it was kind of like the 'Leyton Orient: Club For A Fiver' situation I think, I only got it because nobody else wanted it...

Archived