Regularity of Job Offers

Currently managing Redditch United in the BSN, promoted easily due to parent club thing with wolves, had 107 points or something stupid.

Now in the BSP in 1st battling it out with Grimsby, York, Torquay etc for the title after 30 games, again, due to the four loanees from wolves mainly, and some random belgians!

The point of this is to show that if a manager in real life achieved this in real life, with a club like redditch united, surely they would have some job offers by Feburary in the 2nd season?

Well why havent I!

Playing FM2008 patched up.

Is it random, or am i just rubbish, apparently i am a 'talented manager'.

Currently managing Redditch United in the BSN, promoted easily due to parent club thing with wolves, had 107 points or something stupid.

Now in the BSP in 1st battling it out with Grimsby, York, Torquay etc for the title after 30 games, again, due to the four loanees from wolves mainly, and some random belgians!

The point of this is to show that if a manager in real life achieved this in real life, with a club like redditch united, surely they would have some job offers by Feburary in the 2nd season?

Well why havent I!

Playing FM2008 patched up.

Is it random, or am i just rubbish, apparently i am a 'talented manager'.

You're a BSP Manager and all you've won is BSN so teams won't be particularly interested just now.

You haven't completed your first contract so your loyalty will be very low.

TBH you are only 18 months into your managerial career so you won't have a reputation given your starting point, there will be better qualified managers available.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc_Harris:

If a young 30 year old manager with no experience managed to get Redditch United promoted, and guide them to top of the BSP in real life, surely higher reputation clubs would be sniffing around due to extra media coverage? Or am I well off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe, maybe not. He could just be a flash in the pan who has had a lucky 18 months. If I was a chairman i'd want to see if he could keep his success going and do anything in League football.

Thats fair enough, point taken....

Will carry on playing when i get home.

Just have read on here all these people, one in particular saying they were managing a team in BSS, and after 6 months they had all premiership teams hassling them. sounds like rubbish now you've explained!

I love this save so dont really want to move, its just nice to be wanted... haha...

Ha there's no chance of that happening.

Carry on with your game. I won 8 trophies in 3 years including the CL with Bayern Munich and the only job I could get was Lyon who were struggling.

This is an issue in the game though that has got a lot of people going. The only jobs I seem to get offered are International positions.

Despite my success in Europe I am also only a talented manager so it just shows you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc_Harris:

Just have read on here all these people, one in particular saying they were managing a team in BSS, and after 6 months they had all premiership teams hassling them. sounds like rubbish now you've explained!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are probably the people that start off on a very high reputation.

I'd say Swarfega is right, but at the same time I think they are stretching the truth a bit.

I do get linked to jobs quite a lot but even if I apply for them I get turned down, and this is especially irritating as managers i've never heard of get the jobs instead. I applied for Roma and Sam Allardyce got it despite being sacked by Newcastle after only 6 months and not working since.

In saying that I did make the switch from Wigan to At. Madrid after 3 seasons but they were struggling in the relegation zone.

Prepare yourself for a long slog if you've went in with the lowest rep possible.

In my experience it takes 6-7 seasons and a reputation of "national" before you'll get offered any jobs outwith the BSN/BSS or BSP strugglers.

Fortunately you rise fairly rapidly (comparatively) after that. Stick in there, it's a lot more satisfying winning the CL on merit rather than on the back of some fictitious previous career.

To give you an idea of what you're in for, I think 17 seasons is my record from BSS/BSN sunday footballer to CL/EPL success.

Took over Mosside in N.Irish 2nd Division.

2008/09. Finished 8th in 2nd Division.

2009/10. Finished 1st in 2nd Division. (Promoted).

2010/11. Finished 5th in 1st Division.

2011/12. Finished 2nd in 1st Division. (lost in play-offs).

2012/13. Finished 1st in 1st Division. (promoted). (Antrim Trophy Runners Up).

2013/14. Currently 1st in Premiership. (League Cup Winners).

Job offers. None.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fortunately you rise fairly rapidly (comparatively) after that. Stick in there, it's a lot more satisfying winning the CL on merit rather than on the back of some fictitious previous career.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is what i hoped!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Took over Mosside in N.Irish 2nd Division.

2008/09. Finished 8th in 2nd Division.

2009/10. Finished 1st in 2nd Division. (Promoted).

2010/11. Finished 5th in 1st Division.

2011/12. Finished 2nd in 1st Division. (lost in play-offs).

2012/13. Finished 1st in 1st Division. (promoted). (Antrim Trophy Runners Up).

2013/14. Currently 1st in Premiership. (League Cup Winners).

Job offers. None. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This hardly fills me with confidence.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> To give you an idea of what you're in for, I think 17 seasons is my record from BSS/BSN sunday footballer to CL/EPL success </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like 17 years becoming a redditch united hero then! Although im already favourite personel! haha...

I noticed a lack of job offers in FM07; despite moving up through the leagues and into Europe, the only job offer (note singular) I got was for an international job.

I was linked with a number of jobs by the time I reached Serie A (and once or twice in Serie B) but for whatever reason the clubs never deemed me worthy of an offer.

Jimbo, I'm tempted to suggest that the reason you're not getting any offers is that A) how many teams are there in Norn Iron who can afford to buy you out of your contract and B) if you're running any leagues outside of the territory, is success in N Ireland that impressive to chairmen when they're looking for new managers?

turnip. Reasonble points but.......

1. I'm only being paid £325 per week.

2. The club are only offering me 2 year contracts at a time so that's £16,900 over 1 year or £33,800 for a 2 year deal. I would have said that this is too much for a N.Irish club to afford....... had it not been for the fact that I have sold 1 player for £250,000 cash (up front), to another N.Irish club, and rejected in excess of 12 similar bids for other players. As a result of this I would suggest that in reality there should be a problem with a N.Irish club paying this sort of compensation, but within the game that sort of money doesn't seem to be a problem for whatever reason.

3. I'm not running any other leagues. This can be seen both ways. My limited success in N.Ireland probably wouldn't have made an impact upon the English and Scottish clubs but what it also means is that English and Scottish managers are not available to take other positions in N.Ireland. To be honest, at this stage it should help me be offered new jobs rather than hinder my opportunities.

Marc. That's a different question entirely.

In my experience there isn't an issue with being offered jobs when you are unemployed. The issue is purely a lack of clubs trying to pach you after you have had some limited success.

Previously with FM08, (dafuge's challenge), I have reached League 1, (twice) and League 2,(once), but never been offered a job at a club.

The 2 issues are very different.

I remembered seeing the news about that £250k move in your update - I just assumed it was to Linfield, who never seem to have financial trouble.

I suppose the next question is whether any of the clubs think they could tempt you away.

Are the managers of the biggest clubs on substantially higher wages than you? I'm guessing you wouldn't jump ship for only a small pay rise and I'd guess the AI would realise that.

But yeah, there does seem to be an issue of the game not recognising a meteoric rise as being worthy of attention. IRL, managers are often picked out early on if they get success (at which point they usually crash and burn, but they are weak).

If you finish your second season, save it, then go on holiday until you get offered other jobs I can guarantee you'll only get offered BSN/BSS jobs.

Your reputation needs to go through local and regional before you get to national, which is where you'll start getting offered decent BSP/EL2 jobs.

My last game in England I took Nuneaton into the BSP, held them midtable for a couple of seasons, decided I wasn't able to take them any further and resigned, only got offered BSS/BSN jobs, took Witton into the BSP, got to the playoffs 3 seasons in a row before Hereford (BSP, newly relegated)made a bid for me. I think my rep was national for a couple of seasons before that happened. One season at hereford (1st) and I was off to ED1 with Doncaster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Currently managing Redditch United in the BSN, promoted easily due to parent club thing with wolves, had 107 points or something stupid.

Now in the BSP in 1st battling it out with Grimsby, York, Torquay etc for the title after 30 games, again, due to the four loanees from wolves mainly, and some random belgians! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A while back I read a article in the Guardian about managers in the lower leagues not getting the chance to make the step up. The article had a interview with the then Stevenage manager, I forget his name, former Newcastle defender, who had won 3 FA trophy’s with different side. I may be getting some of the facts wrong here, it was a long time ago. Basically he had some success at that level).

He ended up leaving his post at Stevenage because he never got an offer to join a league club. I think he had applied for several jobs in the league only to be turned down for managers who had been a round for a while but not achieved anything. The point of the artiicle was that managers like McCarthey, Megson, and Souness (who is still out of work, thankfully) will always get linked with or offered jobs, but never younger coaches trying to make a name.

And then people complain about a lack of young coaches....

This is from real life so maybe it’s not all that unrealistic.

Sorry for double posts but I feel I should add...

This doesn’t take into account people who rise from the BSN/S to say league 1/Championship. They would get a lot of press attention and would be likely to be offered a job by a bigger club.

Also as a computer game sometimes a lack of realism may make the game more fun. I would like to be offered more jobs as it adds to my enjoyment of the game. But that’s me and others would probably disagree.

I should also add that the whole job offer thing is buggy anyway, the first two jobs I got offered when I started the english league (with spanish and italian 1st divisions running as well) were racing santander and empoli. Totally unrealistic.

My other current game I'm in Scotland with german and french league 1 running, first job I got offered after quitting part-timers Elgin City in SD1 was a bundesliga side.

Archived