Ridiculous Transfers

With Man City in my 4th season and have 137mil to spend.

Don't necessarily need any player in a particular position so thought I'd make a bid for Cristiano Ronaldo. ( why not ).

He is valued at 35 mil so I make a bid of an overall 42 mil. I wasn't expecting them to accept this offer of course but it was the start of my negotiations.

However, what then occured was a negotiation for 167 mil. WTF!!

This isn't the only occurence as a bid for Bojan was negotiated to 95 mil!!

Anyone else have any ridiculous negotiations??

I'm not really one to spend more than £25m on a player so I never get to experience these high value negotiations first hand. In my opinion it is to be expected really. The clubs are going to be reluctant to sell their best players/prospects, but obviously everyone has their price. At that point in the game they are obviously two of the greatest players in the game, and so they are bound to come with a huge price tag.

I just stay away from them :D

Maybe it's cos they know City have basically unlimited money. Is FM09 that complex however??

Due to this I've tended to focus my buying in the spanish market because of the minimum fee release clause. It's also handy as I'm Spain manager as well. David Silva 78 mil and Messi 35 mil ( what a bargain, although I offloaded him back to Barca for 65 mil as his average rating was 6.65. Not bad business I thought. )

They aren't ridiculous - that is what the club value that player at. Also, with you being 4 seasons in Ronaldo has probably hit his peak and Bojan is probably banging them in for a top club in Europe somewhere so they are probably two of the best players in the game, which is why their clubs value them so highly. Look at the Ribery situation irl at the moment he is being value at something close to £100m.

I guess you've never ventured into the boring and easy world of Manchester City management then Tom??

I dabbled when the game first came out, but never got into it. I usually stick with my Leeds save, and a few lower league management games around the world. The most money i've spent on one transfer was £26.5m for this bloke.

In one of my saves in the Portugese leagues I have brought in 42 players in 11 seasons, and I am yet to spend a single penny on a transfer! (42 free transfers :cool:)

I and some others may find that a 167 million pound negotiation from Man Utd is ridiculous cosidering they are playing Uefa Cup Football. I later offerred 100 mil and they still negotiated to between 160 and 172 million.

I and some others may find that a 167 million pound negotiation from Man Utd is ridiculous cosidering they are playing Uefa Cup Football. I later offerred 100 mil and they still negotiated to between 160 and 172 million.

Did it ever cross your mind that Man Utd don't want to sell one of their star players to their city rivals? So they quote you a ridiculous price to basically tell you where to go! :rolleyes:

For 27.5 million I'd call that a bargain for that kid. Who did you sign him off??

And to that Benifica save, can I ask how well you've done without spending a penny??

I got him from Roma. His first club was AlbinoLeffe in Serie B, so someone brilliant can pop up just about anywhere.

No-one mentioned Benfica :p I was playing as Clube Oriental de Lisboa and i've managed to get them from the bottom league to being a top 6 side in Liga Sagres (Portugals top league). I just kept scouring the contract expired/expiring lists. It was time consuming, but my bank balance stayed in the black so it was worth it :D

I bought Rooney (as Spurs) for 90 million, he was about 28.

I expect to have to pay masses for world class talent. Not that I generally do, but I just wanted to see what I could do with Rooney because normally I dont get a chance to get current superstars. Edit( we were reigning champs, Man U were not even in uefa spots)

Tangentenially linked: Lamely Juventus bought Aguero for 45 mil after I had a bid of 60 mil rejected.

Almost on topic..I made a 75m bid for messi..they rejected, two weeks later he requested a transfer due to barca selling millto and they offered him to me for 35mil

Almost on topic..I made a 75m bid for messi..they rejected, two weeks later he requested a transfer due to barca selling millto and they offered him to me for 35mil

a perfect example of a teams utter stupidity. the game sometimes has no common sense at all.

Personally I think that transfer values are unrealistic in FM09. It's worth bearing in mind that since the Real Madrid's Galacticos in 2000/1 only 3 players have been transferred for more than £30m in real life the largest being Robinho's £32.5m move to Man City. However, £30m in FM09 doesn't seem to get you a lot. A good example is Barry who's moving to Man City for £12m yet in the game you'll have to pay at least £30m for him regardless of what club you are. I appreciate that a player is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for them which makes it difficult for a game to calculate a realistic value but in my opinion values seem to be based more on media speculation than real life.

Dunno if I would pay GBP100m for a player, course I would never have the cash for that.

Have just bought Aguero though, he had a GBP42m release clause so I bid GBP37m (valued at GBP35.5m) and they came back asking GBP39m so went for it.

Personally I think that transfer values are unrealistic in FM09. It's worth bearing in mind that since the Real Madrid's Galacticos in 2000/1 only 3 players have been transferred for more than £30m in real life the largest being Robinho's £32.5m move to Man City. However, £30m in FM09 doesn't seem to get you a lot. A good example is Barry who's moving to Man City for £12m yet in the game you'll have to pay at least £30m for him regardless of what club you are. I appreciate that a player is only "worth" what someone is willing to pay for them which makes it difficult for a game to calculate a realistic value but in my opinion values seem to be based more on media speculation than real life.

You can also take this to mean that there are certain players that are NOT negotiated (IRL) BECAUSE they are so expensive (Ronaldo, benzema, ribery, messi, etc). If a club really doesn't want to sell a player it makes total sense for them to ask for a ridiculous price. I see nothing wrong with the game in that respect.

EDIT: Oh, and £30m does get you a lot if you target players from "smaller" clubs (e.g. Srna, Zhirkov, Love all < £20m)

Dunno if I would pay GBP100m for a player, course I would never have the cash for that.

Have just bought Aguero though, he had a GBP42m release clause so I bid GBP37m (valued at GBP35.5m) and they came back asking GBP39m so went for it.

I first picked up Aguero in FM07 with a ****-poor-almost-relegated Lazio team. I'd never heard of him but he seemed to have done pretty well at an equally-poor-but-got-relegated Athletico side.

I got him for £13M. He went on to score 43 goals in 42 games in his first season and was frankly the best striker i've ever had (I am always a Lower League Manager at the start). I was shocked to discover he was a real life player and a really exceptional one at that.

in one season, I think 2016/2017 I had won every thing with Inter except the champion leauge, so I decided to pay what ever it takes to get messi and CR7, I got CR7 for 100 Million Euro's and Messi for 190 Million., and I won the champion leauge and the clubs world cup with them :)

I've had a game where about €120m was spent on Hamsik over 4 years or so. And he was playing for Napoli the whole time. Inter Milan bought him in a co-ownership deal and Napoli payed the "Callback Fee" which was over €40m. Then AC Milan bought him in another co-ownership deal and then Napoli bought him back for €70m which was absolutely ridiculous.

Most I have spent was £40m on Aguero. A season on I also had a bid of £35m accepted for Messi but he wouldn't come, it wasn't his minimum release fee so I was a little surprised it was accepted.

Crazy thing I've had was when I tried MLS, I traded a decent player for Josh Lambo and it was accepted then two days they waivered the player I traded so I got him back for nothing.

The most ridiculous signing I've ever made was for the best player on my game (http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5549/edwardbuckley.png). He was valued at about £30m at Barcelona, and the lowest offer I could make which they'd accept was £85m up front, with £30m when he reached 40 league games. I thought this was quite fair seeing he was the best player I'd ever seen and had scored about 250 goals for Barca.

Unfortunately he was absolutely crap for me, scoring only 11 in 41, with an average rating below 7. I sold him back to Barca for £30m, where he went on to be immense again, scoring 32 times in 41 games.

Gutted :mad:

66mil for Gareth Bale

35mil for Mandanda

Than a negotiation for Flamini: 45mil + Yury Zhirkov ... er, No!

I was doing alright with transfers and keeping the prices realistic in the first 2 seasons... now this 3rd season it's ridiculous

Archived